Thread: Shrimp Question?

Default Shrimp Question?

Quick question not sure if this has happens to anyone else or not it has happened to me 3 to 4 time in the last couple years.
    I pulled my shrimp pots in Valdez twice a day on the 25th thru the 27th of may. Each pull I averaged between 100-150 a pull on a 5 pot pull. However on Saturday night when I pulled the pots, from the same location same depth I got 10 shrimp in all five pots. Only two conclusions that I can come up with is I missed the spot somehow, or someone else pulled them and helped themselves to my shrimp.
    Is anyone else running into this problem? Or have ideas or a solution that I have not though of?

While some lowlife blankety blank could have helped themselves to your shrimp, there is another possibilty.

Dropping your pots in the same exact spot drop after drop is next to impossible. Tide and current will result in your pots landing in different spots each drop, and it's possible your pots drifted just enough shallower or deeper to cause them to go from being fairly productive to down right disapointing. I've dropped pots in the same general area enough to know you can never expect the same results drop after drop.

I've found running 3 pots on one string and 2 on the other really seems to produce significantly more shrimp then dropping all pots on one string. I think it's a combination of both strings being off the mark less likely, and covering more sea area.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

Last weekend I dropped pots and when I pulled them I averaged 1 gallon per pot. Dropped them again in as close to the same place as I could and the next time I pulled them, same soak time as the first, I got as few as 3 shrimp in a pot. I don't know why. Too many variables for me to pick which ones were in play.

Maybe a simple fact that shrimp move.
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

In one spot last summer my wife and I made a pull that had at least 50 shrimp per pot - perhaps the best I've ever done. We moved maybe 25-50 yards to the side and dropped them again. On the next pull we had zero - zero shrimp and every pot was covered in chrinoids. Weirdest thing I've ever seen, but it goes to show that small variations in set location can have a huge impact.

I believe there are times when the "bite" is off... We did well one recent Friday night into Saturday morning and reset [same general area] just to find only a few shrimp per pot that evening about 7-8 hours later. The very next morning the pots [again same general area] had good amounts again as well as that next evening.

Default re

I just find it really weird both Friday pulls were good. Saturday morning pull was good. Both Sunday pulls good just Saturday night was off. Just been really hard for me to think of any other reason this could happen 1 or 2 twice a year.
    In my years on the water in Alaska the people that I have run into seem to be mostly good people. I have helped several people, and have had other help me in times of need. Every time I help someone I never take money just tell them next time that they see someone in need that they help them out.
    I try not to think that someone would pull my pots however, I try to think best of people. I want to believe that they drifted, or I missed the spot but itís hard not to think in the back of my mind that I have been jacked.
    I do and do not want to find someone picking my pots Iím afraid I might use the old 44 and making drain holes in their boat, and end up in trouble myself.

The shrimp move around. In a good area you can make to pulls in a 12 hour period and do good. In a poor area it is once every 24 hours. The same spot and produce really good then the next day nothing. Some times they are 300 ft the next day 450 ft. Just spread your pots out and move them if you do not catch any thing.

Shrimping is just like fishing, it is always a good day to be out. The catching part varies. At least if someone pulled your pots they returned your gear and didn't borrow off with it!!

Quote Originally Posted by rhorn View Post
    Shrimping is just like fishing, it is always a good day to be out. The catching part varies. At least if someone pulled your pots they returned your gear and didn't borrow off with it!!
    Advice from Steve (Potbuilder), use odd colored zip ties and change your colors often. If you pull them up and your ties are not on there you know someone pulled them.

If you guys are dropping pots in 400+ feet of water and hitting the same spots (or even within 25 yards) over and over again you are a lot more talented than I am. Even with GPS and a good plotter I am happy if I am within 100' of my target area in water that deep.

So far I've pulled my pots 4 times this season and still no luck. I wish I could find the critters like you guys are. Does anyone have any tips for shrimping in kodiak?

I've never shrimped kodiak but would suggest trying setting where streams and rivers are running into the ocean.
    Those that are successful in Alaska are those who are flexible, and allow the reality of life in Alaska to shape their dreams, vs. trying to force their dreams on the reality of Alaska.

If you have a tenuous grasp of reality, Alaska is not for you.

How do you know if your pot is on your mark? Do you have good enough Sonar to see your string?

You got ripped off my friend. The exact same thing happened to me over memorial day weekend... friday was a good pull and the rest of the days very few shrimp were in my pots. I keep a shrimping log and guess what... the exact same F*&@ing thing happened last memorial day weekend! I shrimp around Valdez regularly and have done so for many years. When lotsa people are out and about I generally do poorly shrimping. When the commercial fishermen start fishing in our bay I just quit cuz you WILL get ripped off everyday. I don't care if this is offensive to others or not... this has been my experience over many years of shrimping near Valdez. I shrimp in the same general area for most of the summer and barring busy weekends and the commercial fleet, most of our pulls are quite good and don't vary much until near the end of season when the shrimp seem to be smaller and less abundant. It seems to me there are a lot of petty thieves driving boats around the Sound... a sad thing for such a spectacular area.

There is no commerical shrimping allowed in the Valdez Harbor.

no kidding

Not necessarily a newby to shrimping (5 years out of Whittier) but still learning. I work with a guy that does no less than 5 galons of tails per day (he says). I have never done that well. I have tried dropping individual pots, 2-2-1 and 2-3's. I've set them in one area at 300-400-500 depths just to see where the shrimp may be in the water column. All I can say from my experience is that shrimping is more luck than anything. I had one spot I went to last year that was my best ever. i filled a cooler in 2 hauls, went back this year and it was DRY!! Several pulls with no shrimp at all. I use Donaldson pots and fill my pots with lots of bait types, but no real consistency other than frustration.

I have been shrimping fairly close to Whittier (not more than 20-30 miles) will try out further now that i got rid of the big bayliner and have a faster aluminum boat. Hope this summer is better than last for shrimping.

Where you shrimping out of? What i have found is that i look for a area that is deep right off the coast. I also look for a water fall that runs off the hills and set right in front of the falling water. Me i set at about 360-420Ft I use 600ft leaded rope then spread the pots in 100ft sections with non leaded rope so it floats and does not get tangled in the rocks. hope that helps you out......

Anything helps!! I have been out of Whittier, usually around Cochran bay because my wife really likes Surprise cove. I've tried to be near running water but sometimes there are already pots there and I don't like to stack mine too close by someone else (just a little courtesy). I got a few tips from some of the guys I work with so.....we"ll see. Thanks for the help!!