Thread: Recommendations and Opinions on replacin Volvo 170AQ

Default Recommendations and Opinions on replacin Volvo 170AQ

I have a 27ft. Bayliner Victoria, the boat is in great shape but the engines need work. I am thinking about replacing the Volvo 170AQ engines with 1 Chev Marine engine and a single Volvo 280 out drive. I Would appreciate any advice I can get.
    I am prety capable of doing most of the work my self.
    Thanks Ernie

Ernie check out this site "ASK AND YOU SHALL RECEIVE"

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/index.php
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Eviens,

Unfortunately replacing a motor here in AK is expensive. I did a ton of legwork on tying to find a replacement motor for my jet boat because I have an OLD Volvo 255B. After calling around I found out that you can buy the Marine block from a GM dealer here in town and do most of the work yourself. The bad part is, you will spend a ton of your money in shipping cost, and it will burn up most of your summer... (BTW this is the cheapest route)

In the end I found that ordering a CPO motor through Odies Marine and having him do the work was less stress and I would have my boat back w/in 3 or 4 weeks. Of course this is just my opinion.

One thing I might add. What I ended up doing was doing a compression test on the motor. The motor tested w/in 15% of what it would at factory so I just replaced the ignition, carb, fuel pump, and anything that seemed as if it was on its last leg; and the motor came to life again. After it was all said and done I HOPE it will run another 5 or 6 years.

BTW if money is an issue stay away from Volvo…

Forgot to add, I went the route you want cost about 13,000 with install and kepp the 280 drive I only had 1 engine. A few things he had to change for the 280 the drive shaft spindle,Fly wheel and bell housing
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

I might try and see if I can get the engines running before I get too carried away. Any one know of a good Volvo Shop?
    Thanks for the reply's.
    Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by eviens View Post
    I might try and see if I can get the engines running before I get too carried away. Any one know of a good Volvo Shop?
    Thanks for the reply's.
    Ernie
    Give Robert Geller Mobile Repair a call 350-5506 he's in Anch.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

For a shop I use Alaska Vessal & Repair, fair and good work on mine.

Noah's Marine in Anchorage specializes in Volvo's. I have never taken anything into them, but the guy that works there has always been honest to me about my motor. He even sent me away to save a few bucks when I could have used them. If you can do a compression check yourself it would be worth it. If they test good, then move forward with getting them tuned up. If not, dont waist your time. Are you buring oil, leaking oil, or smoking different colors? These would be signs of a motor needing to be rebuilt or replaced. I hope it works out for ya. A repower is such a pain in the *****, and making modifications to you're boat can be very costly. Like a said before, I have a volvo 255B in my jet boat. The block is a 1974 and my boat is a 1981... EVERYTHING IS ORIGINAL. I have spent a good amout of money getting it running well, but it has payed off. Especially this year I got the carb professionally rebuilt and its been turn key ever since.