Thread: Can't believe the service at Big Lake Power Sports!

Default Can't believe the service at Big Lake Power Sports!

Dropped the Rangers off last week and told Frankie that we needed them back by this Friday. The list of things that we were getting done ranged from Oil changes, filter change, check all fluids, replace belt, check diff fluid, check/replace lower front ball joints, install HD head lights, check all u-joints, grease all fittings, fix starter, change over stock tires to ITP 589's, fix e-brake, and probably a couple other things.

Called yesterday and mine was done, but they were waiting on the parts for my buddies e-brake and already had it torn apart. They were hoping that the parts would be in by Friday and that they would have time to get to it by closing time on Friday. Not what we wanted to hear. The word we got (not directly from Frankie) was that they could put the e-brake assembly back together, but would charge my buddy for that and then he could bring the Ranger back and they would charge him to disassemble and fix once the parts were in. Again, not what we wanted to hear.

I decided to go and get mine anyway since I had some parts that would be showing up at the house this week and I wanted my Ranger at the house to install the parts before the weekend. Left Anchorage (yes we live in Anchorage and take our stuff to Big Lake). Called the shop at about 4 pm and let them know that I was coming to get mine. Showed up at about 5:15. Frankie said mine was getting pressurd washed, but when they pulled it out they noticed that the starter was acting up, and it sounded similar to my buddies starter problem. Mentioned my buddies Ranger to Frankie and asked if he thought the parts would be in and replaced by Friday. Frankie says, "It's ready to go. Once you called and said that you were coming to get yours I didn't want you guys to have to make two trips so I had the guys pull a new assembly off a Ranger and install the whole thing on your buddies." And BTW, my buddy was not there so I took his Ranger home and Frankie said my buddy could call him and square up tomorrow morning over the phone. I saw my bill prior to the starter issue and at about 6:40 I'm squaring up with Frankie and there was no increase in my bill. Frankie had a guy pull the starter, replace the bendix, and put it all back together for what appeared to me to be no extra charge. As I was loading up the mechanic came up to me and apologized for it taking so long to fix the starter!? Are you kidding me. Thank you for staying past 6 pm to take care of it. I'm loaded up with two Ranger 6X6's and headed back to Anchorage at 7 pm.

Sorry so long of a post, but I've gotten service done where they only do what you put on the work order. I take my stuff to a shop because I'm not a mechanic, I expect a shop to know things that i don't know and to recommend fixes for things that seem fine to me, but will leave me stranded (starter). So, thumbs up to Big Lake Power Sports, two more, repeat, very satified customers! Thanks to Frankie and your shop guys.

Sounds like great service! I would say he defininetley went above and beyond.

Maybe you should ask him if he forgot to charge you for that starter issue. He very well could have in the rush to get you out of the shop. For that kind of service I'd make sure i pay the man! We want him around!

Pretty much any of the other shops would have had your rigs till July

Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    Maybe you should ask him if he forgot to charge you for that starter issue. He very well could have in the rush to get you out of the shop. For that kind of service I'd make sure i pay the man! We want him around!
    In an effort to make the posting as brief as possible I left out some details. Regarding the starter, we were at the counter and he gave me my bill total and I said does that include the starter fix and he said something to the effect like, "That's everything, its all good, don't worry about it" You know one of those kinda way off comments that I didn't catch exactly, but based on the fact that the amount did not change from when I first saw the amount I'm assuming the starter fix was free. However, there is a possibility that he recognized the problem and added it to the work order prior to me getting there. Either way, the point is that it wasn't on the original work order and they stayed late to fix it, and in less than an hour ripped a whole brake assembly off a new Ranger, and installed on my buddies so that I could leave with everything last night.

...using new machines for parts doesn't sound like a very good business plan.

Who would want to buy a parts ATV? Do they list them accordingly and/or offer discount on these "new" rides?

List what accordingly? I expect a new starter in a new ATV and that is exactly what I would get if I purchased that one. I have seen Wasilla arctic cat do the same thing for a buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    List what accordingly? I expect a new starter in a new ATV and that is exactly what I would get if I purchased that one. I have seen Wasilla arctic cat do the same thing for a buddy.
    Agreed. And I may have mispoke. All I know is that they pulled a emergency brake assembly from another Ranger. New, used, or otherwise I cannot confirm. If they replace the emergency brake assembly with a new one that they ordered what's the difference? Both my buddies and my starter bendix were replaced but from parts at the shop not another Ranger.

Amazing how a positive post about service turns to defending the dealership. Dealers swap parts from other machines to fix a current customers machine all the time. It's so common, I can't believe it was brought up as an issue.

Overall i have only good things to say about Frankie and his family at South Port Marina. I have 6 snowmachines 6 waverunners a pontoon boat, wakeboard boat and recently purchased a Kingfisher 2825. Frankie takes good care of my toys. Like any other small town shops sometimes you are only as good as your weakest link which could be your employees or waiting for parts to arrive from out of town or out of state. Do I get frustrated sometimes? Yes! But then I step back and think would I stock all these extra small items or only stock those items that I know sell frequently. Do any of us have control over the time it takes us to receive anything we order from out side of Ak? I would buy a new machine from Frankie but the Kingfisher broke the bank and my wife said she will divorce me if I ask for anything else!! Have you seen the new Polaris side by sides!?!

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    Amazing how a positive post about service turns to defending the dealership. Dealers swap parts from other machines to fix a current customers machine all the time. It's so common, I can't believe it was brought up as an issue.
    I know dealerships mark down machines because the paint job is scratched during transport. I see your argument as who's to say the factory new one was working correctly and needed a replacement part.

IMO, if it's not broke ... then why fix it. Better yet - if it's not broke ... why break it.... as they have a machine sitting by that they can't sell because it's waiting on a part.

You are correct. Great service. I'm glad their retail margins and service rates support such practice.

I agree with post #2.
    Quote Originally Posted by rimfirematt View Post
    For that kind of service I'd make sure i pay the man! We want him around!

It happens all the time in any dealer ship robing parts to fix another. Good job Frankie on making costumer number one.
    Do I give my friends advice? Jesus, no. They wouldn't take advice from me. Nobody should take advice from me. I haven't got a clue about anything..

Good to hear the great customer service. Makes it well worth the drive to Big Lake where it sounds like they actually see the correlation between their profits and customer satisfaction!

You should see how he helps out the irondog racers! Top notch class act all the way around!!
    Tomorrow isn't promised. "Never delay kissing a pretty girl or opening a bottle of whiskey." E. Hemingway

Great the cats out of the bag... Now he is going to get overly swamped. Ha Ha

With a little more organization in the parts dept they will be the best dealer in the state. Somehow he knows where all his parts are though... Great dealer great family!

I'll chime in too. Frankie helped me out in a pinch last year. Great service and fair prices. Will go back to them anytime and have recommended them several times.

how did they "fix" your e-brake? does it actually work properly now? was that a recall?
    way to go southport. must be some thing different in the water out there cause that's why I drive to HPAK.