Thread: Rod for baitcaster.

Default Rod for baitcaster.

I need to get a rod for my new baitcaster reel (Ambassadeur 6600). Any suggestions on a cheap but decent rod to get? Would like to keep the price around $50.00 or less.

What line should I spool on the reel for fishing for both Kings and Silvers? Would like to probably stick with monofilament line.

I used a one piece Ugly Stik for years and a few years ago I switched to a Lamiglass which I really like. Both offer rods within your price range.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Use P-Line Buck. Great stuff

Default Bait Cast rod

Around $50 I would try an Ugly Stix or Berkley rod. Cabelas has some nice rods in the $60 - $100 price range (Cabelas Eagle II & TXS Salmon/Stealhead)
    I also like Lamiglas rods, but you will typically pay more than $100. Load your reel with 20lb Maxima UG for your average river.

I have a south bend which has been slammed into a car door twice, and is still holding up, it cost $15
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Default ugly stick or whoopin stick

either one have worked great for me. I have 4 Ugly Sticks that held the test of time and abuse. I also had a Whoopin-Stick from cabelas given to me, and i have beat the tar out of that thing the past 2 years, and have had zero problems. The Whoopin Stick is only $19.99-24.99. The one i have is the heavy action, 8 ft, 2 piece, 14-50lb line...and its only 24.99.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Steelieguy View Post
    Around $50 I would try an Ugly Stix or Berkley rod. Cabelas has some nice rods in the $60 - $100 price range (Cabelas Eagle II & TXS Salmon/Stealhead)
    I also like Lamiglas rods, but you will typically pay more than $100. Load your reel with 20lb Maxima UG for your average river.

I'll echo these sentiments...

I prefer the G1000 series Lamis, but these rods usually cost well over $100. However, the Berkley IM7 "Buzz Ramsey" series poles offer higher end quality at a reasonable price ($50 range).

As far as line, can't go wrong with Maxima UltraGreen.

I think you know what to get for a rod now but I wouldn't suggest 20lb test for a typical river and fishing for Kings. If your fishing the Deshka maybe (anchors aside) but if your at the Willow I'd go with 40lb test so you don't loose your fish to some noob. Tackle isn't cheap, go with 20lb and I guarantee you'll spend more time retying and spend more on lures in the combat zones. If your after silvers 20lb line will do fine anywhere.

PS. I have only seen 1 fish in the 50lb range caught on light line and a light rod in a combat zone with a fast current (Willow). The only way this young man (10 or 12) got it in is because everyone quit fishing to watch. That just doesn't usually happen.

This is my .02 the choice is yours.

Default rod for 6600

For $60 go to B & J's and get you an Ugly Stick Lite MH to H you can't go wrong. Have them spool it up with Power Pro 40lb and you have a King catching machine. My biggest reason is a 7 yr warrenty and it'll bring in a hog without any problems. Good luck and tight lines.

For the ugly stik.. how do u use the warranty? You need the recceipt and just bring it back to where u bought it or mail in to the company?

Berkley IM-7 Air series of salmon/steelhead rods are probably the best quality blanks in their price range. They have put lots of fish in the boat over the years for me. Got one where the butt cap is gone, corks chewed up, and had to replace one guide and a tip-top.... blank is still in excellent shape. That rod has caught kings to 50# and remains a solid back up rod in my arsenal.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

ugly stick. You can go wrong for the price.
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

It's tough to be an ugly stick for the money, and I love them. But I bought a South Bend trophy tamer from Freddies last summer for around $50 on sale. I walked by them the other day and they were selling for around $100. Last summer it worked well for silvers, reds, and dogs. I would still be confident landing a king under 50lbs with the right line. Previously I used a Berkley lightening rod for years. It was short and stout but I landed everything from small trout to 30lbs kings with it. The downside is the rod did not break down and always stoo at a stout 6' long. The trophy tamer will be my "do it all" rod this year.

Default Medium heavy or Heavy

I think I have it narrowed down to the Ugly stick. Should I go medium heavy or heavy action? Thanks for all the replies.

Default Rod

I would be more fun to fish a medium heavy action rod vs a heavy action rod, especially for silvers. Personally, I like light tackle fishing because its more of a challenge. Check out Cabela's Tourney (IM7 Graphite) Trail Rods. For $60 bucks plus shipping you can get a medium heavy 7'6" line weight 10 -25.

Default rod

Gotta love the ugly stik. I abuse the heck out of mine and never a problem. I have a Berkley lightning rod with a 5500c and really like the combo. You should be able to come across them for about $35-$50.