Thread: Question about the Kasilof River

Arrow Question about the Kasilof River

Hey Everyone!

So most of the time I end up going north while fishing but this year I was thinking about going south to the Kasilof.
    I wanted to try and catch some sockeye but when I looked at the regulations it says that its a personal use fishery for a large part of its sockeye run. The question I had was; Is the entire river only Personal Use or is it personal use just the mouth and a little bit up stream.

I was wanting to do some fly fishing from shore just below the crooked creek confluence. Mainly for some sockeye but I am gonna buy a king stamp just in case.

Anyways I was wondering when the sockeye are moving up the river. Are there usually enough numbers coming in that make it past the commercial fishery, and the personal use fishery for there to be a chance for me to catch a few at the confluence?
    A bad day fishing is still better than a good day at work.

You can fish rod and reel below crooked creek.

It gets pretty good in the next couple weeks but the number of fishing coming in is highly variable depending on the commercial openers and the personal use nets. If you can pick a day with no commercial opener and get lucky enough for a big surge of reds you can get into them pretty good down there.

I was taking a look at the AOJ website and run timings.
    Does anyone know where the Weir is located on the Kasilof?

I figure I could use that information to help me judge the right time to fish. if its past the confluence i'll head down there when I see the numbers start to rise. if its below the confluence ill wait a day or two before going down there.

The weir is at the bridge. You can see it just upstream from there a few hundred feet.
    A fishwheel and a sonar.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaIsCold View Post
    I was taking a look at the AOJ website and run timings.
    Does anyone know where the Weir is located on the Kasilof?

I figure I could use that information to help me judge the right time to fish. if its past the confluence i'll head down there when I see the numbers start to rise. if its below the confluence ill wait a day or two before going down there.
    By the time the fish are counted they're out of your reach. Gotta basically fish the days the comm guys aren't and try and guess when the fish will be surging.

Hmmm.. is there a site or somewhere I can look to find when the comm guys are or are not fishing?

You can subscribe to receive opening notices http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm...r_instructions You can have it sent to your phone and you'll get the notices even when you're down there.

Any updates on Kasilof?

I was there yesterday after work and it was DEAD. Saw a single 8lb. king leave the river.