Thread: koyukuk moose weight

Default koyukuk moose weight

since you cant bone anything, leaving only the backbone it looks like...how much weight are we looking at for a large bull?? 800-900?? thanks

I have taken 3 bulls out of there and all i can say is they are big. If you have a trophy tag then you can debone the back, honches, neck and cut the scull cap. If you are doing subsistance then you have to take the head, honches, and neck out on the bone i believe.

Sweepint
    Wasilla, (when not overseas)
    '' Livn' The Dream ''
    26' Hewescraft Cuddy, twin 115 Yam

819# per mature bull is my average based on Northern Air Cargo's scales...that's 4 qtrs, 2 ribs, and back on the bone, neck boned, with heart (less liver, horns, & lower legs).

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    I have taken 3 bulls out of there and all i can say is they are big. If you have a trophy tag then you can debone the back, honches, neck and cut the scull cap. If you are doing subsistance then you have to take the head, honches, and neck out on the bone i believe.
    ya i have a 830 tag, so i suppose ill look into what i can bone. i was under the impression the only thing u could leave was backbone

Quote Originally Posted by hunt/trapak88 View Post
    ya i have a 830 tag, so i suppose ill look into what i can bone. i was under the impression the only thing u could leave was backbone
    This is true. Regardless of whether or not you're subsistance hunting or have a trophy tag, you have to take a minimum of 4 quarters, rib cage, back straps, tenderloins, neck meat, and skull cap the antlers. The only difference between subsistance and trophy tag is with subsistance you also need to cut at least half of the palm off one side of the antlers and turn into F&G. The bulls I've taken there have ranged anywhere from small, just a few hundred pounds cut up as discribed above, to about 650 lbs. give or take. I haven't killed anything really big there (58" spread) is my biggest, and it weighed somewhere in the mid 600 lb. range all quartered up on the bone with all the extra meat.

Quote Originally Posted by AK Troutbum View Post
    This is true. Regardless of whether or not you're subsistance hunting or have a trophy tag, you have to take a minimum of 4 quarters, rib cage, back straps, tenderloins, neck meat, and skull cap the antlers. The only difference between subsistance and trophy tag is with subsistance you also need to cut at least half of the palm off one side of the antlers and turn into F&G. The bulls I've taken there have ranged anywhere from small, just a few hundred pounds cut up as discribed above, to about 650 lbs. give or take. I haven't killed anything really big there (58" spread) is my biggest, and it weighed somewhere in the mid 600 lb. range all quartered up on the bone with all the extra meat.
    good info appreciate it!

Quote Originally Posted by sweepint View Post
    You don't have to bring the head out anymore,weight 750 to 1000 pounds of meat and antlers,last ones I helped ship on the plane out of galena were 650 to 800 lbs of meat

I shipped 2 bulls from Galena and they weighed 1742lbs. And that was everything.
    Tony

Default Head

I have hunted it twice and the first time we were required to bring out everything, but that changed for my second hunt and AK Troutbum is right the only difference is the cut antler.
    Will