Thread: Thwarts???

Default Thwarts???

Hello,

I'm new to rafting, and this website/forum (which is awesome by the way), and have a general question. Do I need to have the thwarts in my boat, an NRS Otter 140, if I have a rowing frame on it? We floated on the Chena River yesterday for it's maiden voyage and I was thinking that on future floats, especially after we work up to overnight trips, that there would be more room in it for stuff without the thwarts.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by wsh2fsh View Post
    Hello,

I'm new to rafting, and this website/forum (which is awesome by the way), and have a general question. Do I need to have the thwarts in my boat, an NRS Otter 140, if I have a rowing frame on it? We floated on the Chena River yesterday for it's maiden voyage and I was thinking that on future floats, especially after we work up to overnight trips, that there would be more room in it for stuff without the thwarts.

Any thoughts or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    It depends on what you're doing with the boat. If you're paddle rafting, thwarts make great seats for your paddlers, provide additional floatation in heavy whitewater, and provide side-impact stability to the boat if you broach against a rock in fast water.

For float hunting, I either remove them or deflate them and load gear in their place. Saves a ton of room. We get away with not using them because we're not paddle rafting (and therefore don't need them for seats for our paddlers), and we are floating slow Class I-II rivers where the risk of side impact and the need for heavier floatation are not factors.

Hope it helps!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks Mike. We (my wife and I) probably won't be doing any paddle rafting. Most of the time it will be just the two of us in the boat and we will be using our raft for fishing, hunting, camping, and some family trips with our kids/grandkids. I'm 50 and don't see myself rowing in anything worse than class III waters. Our use will likely be on Interior waters like the Chena and Chatinika rivers, the Gulkana and the occasional lake.

We have an Otter 142 and what works for us is to leave the front thwart in with the rowing frame on...makes a good seat for a couple of adults and helps keep the kids contained in the front. it's a great boat, you'll love it! My wife and our two little ones are getting to enjoy a Houston TX summer (ha ha, not very enjoyable) until September this year, so get out and enjoy some floats for us!!!

Corn

I will bascailly repeat what others have said unless your paddle rafting over the years we have found no need to have them inflated. We normall leave them in the boat tied / slatted / roped into place but keep them de-flated when framing out a round boat.

I know nothing like jumping on the band wagon and stating the obvious eh.

Best of luck with your new toy! Hopefully we will see you on the river.

BMR

When I took a class with the KCK group last year, someone suggested bringing a thwart along if you can spare the room as you can sacrifice a thwart and use the material if having to do a major patch job. I think they were implying this for longer multi-day trips. Not sure what the likelihood is of making a viable patch if you need so much material that you have to cut up a thwart (and I hope I never have to experience that) but I suppose it is better to have it and not need it vs. the alternative.

Enjoy your time on the water!

Great advice everyone, thank you! BlueMoose, I have actually met you once before. I took one of your wife's (at least I think she was your wife) computer classes several several years ago and a good friend of mine, Joe, bought a raft from you about the same time. Joe lives here in Fbks and has a cabin on the Gulkana - he's the quilty party for putting the rafting bug in my wife and I.

Wsh2fish Lisa not my wife was the person who taught we rented the building from her. Nice lady and is an excellent instructor concerning all things Windows. Thanks for the thought though. Joe is a cool dude as well as his wife N. Great people and one of these days our schedules are going to mesh and they get a trip on the upper with me. Glad you caught the bug it is a good one to have.

Regards

Moose-O

I have taken a thwart along several times to use as an emergency repair but it has never been needed. The idea being that if you rip a hole too big to patch in the field, you can stuff the thwart in there and blow it up to partially hold up that section of the raft. It would definitely look crippled, but ought to get you home. This would probably work better in a tub floor boat, as thwarts from a self bailer are smaller diameter than the side tubes. Still, it could work.

If you twarts are blue and you are interested in selling one or both please PM me. I do occasional paddle raft trips and could use a 3rd thwart in my 15' Otter.

Greg