Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adak caribou hunting

Default Adak caribou hunting

I am planning a hunting trip to Adak Island for Caribou inSept. or Oct. of 2013. I am new to planning a trip like this and I am lookinghelp. I am trying to find any and all information I can. What I have been able to find so far is that itís windy all the time and the bull numbers are down.
    If anyone has any information on hunting there i.e. Contacts,where to stay not stay, what to bring not to bring, or where to find moreinformation that would be a great help. Also any stories good or bad would be ahuge help.
    Thanks

Although I've never been, it's the last place I'd go for caribou. I'm sure for the money that you could do a fly out in the brooks and have a chance at some big bulls, bulls you'd never see on Adak.

I have been, and it's the first place I would go to fill the freezer. For all of $280, I did fill my freezer. I wouldn't waste the money on a brooks range hunt. Do you have an Alaskan Airlines card? If so, you can fly out there for free. Unfortunately, Alaska has quit their contract and penn air is taking over. You may not be able to get enough meat back to make it worth it.

Our group of nine (including two 11 year olds and a 16 year old) got 22 Bou. They desperately need to be thinned out soon or there will be a population crash.

Having hunted both places I would go back to Adak befor I went back to the Brooks. The population is up and there are some big bulls out there. And you are only limited by you ability to fly the meat out and the amount of ammo you bring.

Search on here for Adak and you will find most of the information you need. There also is a webpage under the hunt planning section of this site. Mike will be along soon to post up a link to it if you do not find it on your own searches for the past threads on Adak.

For the flights, as of yesterday Pen Air's bid for the essential air service contract was rejected by DOT. They did not meet the cargo needs of the businesses and too much money I guess. The DOT is putting the bids back out, but with AK Air not bidding, and Pen Air the only prior bidder it looks bleak for the essential air service subsidized flights. AK Air will continue to fly out there past the end of their contract as long as DOT keeps paying the invoice. However, that is a chance I would not take with my own money hopeing that something happens.

I was supposed to fly out there this winter for some duck hunting, but with Alaska Airlines not going, I can't. Risky enough on the big planes, the smaller pen air wouldn't have a chance. I DID see that Adak flights are still advertised on their website with 737-400 combis though January. I asked on the phone if these flights will still be avaibable, but couldn't get a yes or no answer. If anyone has info on this, I'm all ears.

I have been to Adak a couple of times for biz but never had the chance to hunt. As for the Bou's they are there, sometimes they are close to town and sometimes they are a hike but the locals will give you some insight to where they have seen them lately. As for support, they have old military housing units you can rent, two bedrooms with washer and dryer and full kitchen and garage for storing stuff or even hanging meat. As you know price can be up there. You always have the option to camp as well. They have one store with limited hours and one small limited restaurant. Another option is that there are folks out there willing to rent you a fourwheeler or UTV. I have had great support and run ins with the locals. They have always been willing to help us in anyway and even asking us if we wanted ATVs or guns that we can get them. Renting a car is also there, but if you grab the UTV that might be all you need. If I was to go I would prepare for rain and wind and grab a UTV and go for it. Would grab a house for a day or two with the option of not paying if we decided to spend the night out for a couple of days or so. I might have phone numbers if you want them just let me know. T

Just out of curiosity, I went to Alaska Air website to see what the price on a flight would be like in Oct., leaving ANC Sep 30 and returning on Oct 7....price of $1,203.00 GOOD LORD!!! Thats for one person roundtrip, not to mention what it might be extra to bring meat back, being over the allowable weight for baggage! Thats just plain ridiculous, my wife just flew roundtrip from ANC to Germany, with our 10 month old daughter, and it was only $850!

Check it with airline miles....that would be the only way it makes sense...

Only if you have miles to use!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    Only if you have miles to use!
    I flew out for 15,000 miles. That costs half as much as the ticket if you bought miles. Bag overage is $100 and you can fill it to 99lbs. You get two bags free (@ 70 or 75 lbs), or five if you are military plus a carry on. If you work the system it can work for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt83 View Post
    price of $1,203.00 GOOD LORD!!!
    And to think that about 50 percent of the actual cost is covered by a federal subsidy that nearly vanished last year due to political grandstanding over the essential air service cost.

Pen Air asked for 3.4 million to cover the cost to keep the ticket price down to $1200 plus taxes. Their requested subsisdy and the fact that they will not provide serious air freight service cost them the route. If no other bidders submit and Pen Air is still rejected, Adak could be a very interesting place to live....or not.

Quote Originally Posted by TX2AK View Post
    I am planning a hunting trip to Adak Island for Caribou inSept. or Oct. of 2013. I am new to planning a trip like this and I am lookinghelp. I am trying to find any and all information I can. What I have been able to find so far is that itís windy all the time and the bull numbers are down.
    If anyone has any information on hunting there i.e. Contacts,where to stay not stay, what to bring not to bring, or where to find moreinformation that would be a great help. Also any stories good or bad would be ahuge help.
    Thanks

Been out there a few times. Filmed twice for shows. Good luck!

Cyn Galaktionoff
    Has lodging, ATV, truck rental. Sheís also the person in charge of issuing native land use permits ($25)
    Little Michael Lodges & Rentals
    907-592-2154 / 907-572-9864
    Cyn Galaktionoff
    adakhunter@hotmail.com
    http://www.adaklodges.com/

Jack Stewart
    jackstewart@adaktu.net
    907- 592-3165

Jack has truck, lodging and ARGO rentals, only Argo guy on the island. You can take 4+ in an Argo.

TIPS:

Get the lodging and share between friends. Cheap, warm and can process meat in garages. CLEAN up garage and dump all waste at dump site.

Use airmiles as tickets can reach $1200+. Alaska Airlines service after July is unknown.

Flights in Thursday/Sunday only. Be prepared for flight cancellation due to WX. Not often but can happen.

Pack food/supplies to Adak in plastic bins/action packers. Use plastic bins to pack meat back up to 50lbs. 3 bags per person on Alaska Airlines. Antlers have to be boxed no exceptions.

Rent ATV/ARGOÖroad hunting does not guarantee anything.

Last I checked 2 bulls and unlimited cows per year.

Itís a good meat hunt. Personally I have not seen any trophies but I hear they're there.

Try to time the snow pushing caribou down. Sometimes caribou end up on other side of island only reachable by boat. I don't know who if any offers boat transport.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

I wonder how Shockey pulls all those 400+ inch bulls out of there?!

Quote Originally Posted by PAcWest View Post
    I wonder how Shockey pulls all those 400+ inch bulls out of there?!
    That's easy to answer because he hunts reindeer on Atka through an agreement with the native corporation that owns the lodge there. He also hunts reindeer on Umnak Island. He does not hunt caribou on Adak. Very well defined on his website.

Darren (Darrin) Byler used to hunt Adak from his modified crab boat on the south end, and he took out a huge number of bulls in the two to three years he operated there before things crashed for him and his business elsewhere.

I would agree with the better places to hunt bou. Unit 23 is closer and cost a lot less to hunt. Shoot me a PM and lets talk as we are in out 2013 planning phase with most of our groups.

Walt
    www.northwestalaska.com

New web site about Ready!

If you have a bow and bow cert. look into the haul rd area. They r everywhere out there plus u can get them right of the rd.!!😄 4get adak. Everybody that goes up to haul rd. get something more then you can carry back!!😄

Reindeer were imported from Norway,originallly, and have been selectivly bred for their light hides and their sizable antlers for thousands of years by Lapp, Sammi and Norse Herders, which were as important as the meat to the Herder who wants to make the most of his herd.

Same go's for Alsakan herders. read about sheldon Jackson and his endevors, however misguided, it a Alaskan history.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

so how was your hunt? I am going to give it a go at Adak next week and am still researching I've never been there but did live in Dutch Harbor and hunted Cold Bay years ago and lived on the slope for 6 years so have a good idea what to expect but any information you could share like where to begin looking for Caribou anyone with a boat ride for rent etc. etc would be very much appreciated thank you

thanks for posting the info about Adak I've hunted several places in Alaska, such as Cold Bay , and I too have had great experiences with the locals.

Any phone nunbers of folks with lodging, UTV's for rent or boat rides to good parts of the Island with bou would be greatly appreciated thank you -Roy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast