Thread: Polaris X2

Default Polaris X2

I am thinking about buying one, and wanted to see if anyone has any experience with owning/riding one. I currently own a Honda 300 and Suzuki quadrunner and have been looking at upgrading to newer bikes for a cpl months. I've been doing some reading on it, the only bad thing I have seen on the few reviews I've been reading is one person complaining about weak axles on 2 bikes they had. Not sure if thats a common compaint or if it was just an isolated incident. I really like the dump bed capablilty to go along with the 2up. Haven't decided on engine size but I dont seeing myself needing more than a 500, but ya never know. Never ridden a Polaris before and my friends own Yamaha, Suzuki, or Honda's.

Any input would be appreciated.

I had a 2006 500 HO X2 and loved it! I upgraded the tires to 26" ITP 589's. I liked the longer wheel base, much more stable on inclines. The two-up bed conversion was really nice. When I had mine a buddy of mine had the Polaris 800 sportsman and it over heated and didn't have a nice quarter throttle towing, technical trail speed. The 500 HO is bullet proof, no over heating, and is geared with plenty of power to the trail for towing. One time we were 16 miles back and a buddy put a stick through his oil resvoir. My X2 towed his Sportsman and him riding it, through mud holes and up steep hills without missing a beat. I got rid of it to upgrade to a Ranger. Not sure why you want the X2. If it is for the ability to go two-up then it will work. If you like the dump bed and can swing it go with a Sportsman Big Boss 6X6.

I like both the dump bed and 2up, 2up more for the longer wheelbase. I have had a few close calls on some inclines,reads laying on front rack, lol. Ive looked at the 6x6 but those tend to be outside my budget. Given the chose between a 700 or the 500 with the 700 being a cpl hundred more which way would you go?

Quote Originally Posted by waterbustn' View Post
    I like both the dump bed and 2up, 2up more for the longer wheelbase. I have had a few close calls on some inclines,reads laying on front rack, lol. Ive looked at the 6x6 but those tend to be outside my budget. Given the chose between a 700 or the 500 with the 700 being a cpl hundred more which way would you go?
    Tough call. If it was between the 500 HO and the 800 HO I'd definitely tell you to stay away from the 800. I haven't looked at the X2 since I sold mine in 2009. I thought Polaris had gone away from them and only offered the two up w/no bed. Anyway, I always wish I had more power and I haven't heard about the 700's having overheating issues. Maybe someone with more recent experience can chime in. Bottom line the X2 with the longer wheelbase is a solid performer and goes anywhere the single seat sportsmans go. The longer wheelbase was never a high centering concern. I noticed the increased stability and increased payload for sure.

I got 2011 550 X2 recently and love it. I have already put it in some rough stuff and was happy with performance.

Well, I am gonna look to buy one. Just need to find a decent used one on CL.

Thanks for your input guys.

I own a 2008 700 X2 and love the machine, it is a great all around machine wither you are riding solo or two up. Very stable and like others have said the extra length does not get you high centered anymore than other atvs do. I have broken both front outer cv joints but think that was normal wear and tear considering how it has been driven and the mileage. The 700 does not overheat but you do need to wash the radiator out real good after each mud ride just to be on the safe side.

That wheeler is going to be a big change going from what you are used to riding. It is a lot bigger, heavier, and the suspension is a lot stiffer. It is a work horse and rides like one.