Thread: Sig Sauer Auto Pistols Final 3 Test Quiz Questions - P220 Series

Default Sig Sauer Auto Pistols Final 3 Test Quiz Questions - P220 Series

Sig Sauer Auto Pistols Final 3 Test Quiz Questions - P220 Series

I am semi-retired and I am taking a self-passed and self-taught Armorers course on Sig Sauer Auto Pistols. I hope to become a part-time light Gunsmith in the future.

There are over 60 quiz questions covering this firearm and I have answered most of them. During my study and research I am having some problems related to some of the following quiz questions. Either I am not sure of the correct answer or I have conflicting answers.

Sorry but I have just 3 more questions - can you help me determine the correct answers for these few final 3 quiz questions?

Thanks for your help.

Note #7. When-the pistol is decocked, what two safeties are activated?
    a) No safeties are activated
    b) The firing pin blocking safety (safety lock)
    c) The thumb safety
    d) The sear safety notch safety
    e) b and d
    f) b and c

Note #10. What stops the rearward motion of the slide?
    a) The recoil spring
    b) The hammer
    c) The disconnector
    d) The frame
    e) The magazine

Note #12. The serrated pin (firing pin retaining pin or firing pin positioning pin) that holds the firing pin in place drives out from left to right. - True or False

I don't have a Sig here to look at but I think....
    1. e
    2. a
    note #12 is left to right. so true.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Well Iím no Sig guy at all but:

Note #7. When-the pistol is decocked, what two safeties are activated?
    a) No safeties are activated
    b) The firing pin blocking safety (safety lock)
    c) The thumb safety
    d) The sear safety notch safety
    e) b and d
    f) b and c

There is always at least one safety engaged during decocking on any gun so equipped so ďAĒ is out. The sear safety notch (unless Sig is real odd) would be cut in a way that it canít catch as the hammer falls, to do otherwise would be very hard on the trigger side of the equation making for a creeping trigger in no time so ďDď is out. That leaves ďFĒ as your answer.

Note #10. What stops the rearward motion of the slide?
    a) The recoil spring
    b) The hammer
    c) The disconnector
    d) The frame
    e) The magazine

Recoil spring decelerates but on guns that disassemble slide forward the frame has a lug that the guide rod rides on that acts as a positive stop. On guns that the slide comes off the back there is another part (like takedown pin) that acts as the link between frame and guide rod to act as a stop.

Note #12. The serrated pin (firing pin retaining pin or firing pin positioning pin) that holds the firing pin in place drives out from left to right. - True or False

Thatís a guess based on that if in doubt go ďright-to-leftĒ because that is opposite the standard way things go together.
    I think Iím right but like I said I donít know much about Sig so speak up if I missed it.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

With my Sig 45 ACP, when you hit the decocker, the firing pin block was engage to stop the falling hammer, as well as the sear safety.

The recoil spring isn't the only device that stops the slide from going rear-ward, I believe (I could be wrong), that the frame is what stops the rear-ward motion of the slide. That's a tricky question, I think if you installed the barrel without the spring, the slide would still be stopped by something, heck.......it could even the the barrel!

Like many german or belgium made guns......they put all the business side of stuff on the left side, so therefore, it would be driven out from the left. (True)

The Sig 220 was probably the most remarkable pistol I've owned. You could double tap with this heavy gun, and the muzzle jump was non-existant, the bullets would generally be within an inch of each other on a 10 yd. target. First shot double action, second single action as fast you could......and the accuracy was there. I used this thing to shoot small game, it was that accurate. This was the one I used to have:

http://www.sigsauer.com/CatalogProdu...stainless.aspx

I think the question is mis leading but the firing pin block and the sear safety will both be engaged on de-cock.

The slide does not contact the frame during normal cycle. It would if the spring were missing.

A 220 is heavy??
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

At 40 oz. for my all stainless model, yes it was hefty. It weighed the same as my SnW 44 mag with a 3" barrel.

It would be stupid to stop a slide with all the force of the recoil on the spring.......you would damage it if that was the case. It is the frame that stops the rear-ward motion. The spring isn't 100 percent compressed when the slide stops rearward.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Like many german or belgium made guns......they put all the business side of stuff on the left side, so therefore, it would be driven out from the left. (True)
    If the nurles are on the left "the business side of stuff on the left side" then you would drive left-to-right to install and right-to-left to drive it out so faule should be your answer.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    The slide does not contact the frame during normal cycle. It would if the spring were missing.
    So the "stop" would be the main spring fully compressed between the guide rod end and slide then? Seems like that would be very hard on springs but still the force all goes into the boss in the frame where the rod rests.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    If the nurles are on the left "the business side of stuff on the left side" then you would drive left-to-right to install and right-to-left to drive it out so faule should be your answer.
    Oh....I meant business side as in which side the initial action took place for example: the side to knock out pins, decock, release mag., slide release, and the little lever used to remove the slide from the frame. It's usually all on the left side of the pistol.

So the "stop" would be the main spring fully compressed between the guide rod end and slide then? Seems like that would be very hard on springs but still the force all goes into the boss in the frame where the rod rests.
    Yeah....but isn't that the way most autoloaders work? The guide rod rod flange at the back and the barrel lower projection, the tapered bottom milling that rubs the lock block to unlock the action....maybe the answer is the barrel?? The spring is between the barrel at the rear and the slide in front. I have only one Sig with a de-cocker. Well two counting the one my grand daughter can't legally own yet. The others are DAK and SAO. So can't say for sure about the safety thing, don't have one here to take apart but this slide stop question is..... well I dunno. I guess I don't know a **** thing!!

At 40 oz. for my all stainless model, yes it was hefty. It weighed the same as my SnW 44 mag with a 3" barrel.

It would be stupid to stop a slide with all the force of the recoil on the spring.......you would damage it if that was the case. It is the frame that stops the rear-ward motion. The spring isn't 100 percent compressed when the slide stops rearward.
    Right....Isn't that what we want,? The spring to absorb all the slide energy before it slams into an innocent bystander?
    Stainless frame? HMMMM.... Where can I get one?

Well I had to consult my American Gunsmith Institute DVDs, the pin on P220 does have the knurls to the left and drives out R-t-L.

It doesnít address the other two questions but it sure looks like it stops just like others that disassemble forward. I just took down a sampling of such autos and miked the slide travel with and without the spring and barrel in the slides. Every one I checked is the same, the guide rod housing contacts the lug/boss where the guide rod goes in the frame exactly the same with or without the guts in the slide, the travel is identical, the slide is stopped at the end of travle by direct contact with that lug.

I hope someone with a P220 shows up because Iím curious now.

Googled up the owners manual and it does decock into the safety notch and the ďfiring pin blocking safetyĒ is not deactivated because the trigger isnít pulled. So the correct answer to that quiz question is E) both B&D . . . but I think the question is flawed because the thumb safety must also be set to safe for the decocking lever to work.

Thing looks like a cool gun, I may need to order me one now . . .
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Murphy View Post
    Right....Isn't that what we want,? The spring to absorb all the slide energy before it slams into an innocent bystander?
    Stainless frame? HMMMM.... Where can I get one?
    Yup Iíd say that is what we want but we compromise that so that we donít need to match the exact spring rate for every round we fire in it. We get most of it soaked up by the spring but not all so that itís sure to open all the way and grab the next round . . . then we need some kind of positive stop for it to bump (but not slam) into to keep it from going too far open.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

but I think the question is flawed because the thumb safety must also be set to safe for the decocking lever to work.
    Just an FYI.......Mine didn't have a thumb safety. If you racked one into the chamber, you simply hit the de-cocker and all was good to go.......no other safety to purposely engage.

Just an FYI.......Mine didn't have a thumb safety. If you racked one into the chamber, you simply hit the de-cocker and all was good to go.......no other safety to purposely engage.
    I can see that, the owners manual I was reading covers like ten models not all had a thumb safety and not all had decocking lever.

It must not be the actual trigger sear contact surface that itís catching in the notch though, that would be awful hard on that clean trigger disengagement.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona