Thread: UAV'S in Alaska

Default UAV'S in Alaska

I hear on the news that our Alaskan Senator,thinking that UAV'S are he way to go in this state. Fisheries Surveys, Wildlife Surveys.? #1 What a bunch of BS, That will put Pilots out of Work, #2 The Whole State will be One Big TFR,
    Because (UAV Operating In Area) Time to Ground these Flight Ops now.

Mark Begich also said that they have to fit in with GA ....

If used responsabilly and are part of an FAA preflight brief via a notice to airmen then what is the harm.
    I fly over the Army Eagle river range all the time and get a little more altitude and stick close to the highway when the range is hot. How is this situation any different?

Anyone have a link to more information??

It was during his time on Talk of Alaska this morning on APRN.

http://www.alaskapublic.org/2012/05/...eral-issues-2/

I personally feel that when I depart from Gravel Bar (a) going to Ridgeline (b) I do not want to share airspace with an UAV that I cannot
    talk with, Flying the MOA's are easy most have a hard deck that you stay below, or a transit corridor. I am most concerned with Fish and Wildlife use for Survey purposes, with the weather we have in this State, I do not think they can operate at high altitude. Don't know, they would have to be below the cloud bases, I could be wrong. Flight Briefs,? Hard to do sometimes in the middle of no-where. I just think the Pilots of this state need to Weigh in on this.

Default In-depth article on UAVs in Alaska

Take a look at: http://www.alaskadispatch.com/articl...reconnaissance for more information.

UAF is one of the top UAV facilities around. The highest profile use I've seen was using UAVs to assist the Russian tanker into Nome this past winter. I've read they've been used to monitor remote oil wells, too.

The FAA has been directed to integrate UAVs into American airspace. Part of the directive states that the UAVs can't interfere or restrict GA aircraft. How they determine that should concern us but at least the directive is there. Alaskans need to be more concerned with the expansion of MOAs in central and south central Alaska, which is partly designed to provide UAV training areas. That expansion process is well under way and both Alaska senators are in support of it because it accommodates the military presence in Alaska. I've written them both and both wrote me back in blind support of the military. They'll sell out their citizen's airspace without hesitation because they're programmed to grab military spending dollars. If you think UAVs are a threat? There's your fight. Public hearings were held around Alaska earlier this month. You all went, right? Sadly, I was out of state.

http://www.jparceis.com/jparc.aspx

Go to http://uasalaska.org. There is a conference on UAS/UAV use in Alaska at the Embassy Suites on 25, 26 & 27 September. Senator Begich will be the keynote speaker and the FAA Administrator has been invited to speak regarding the new law that passed in February. My advice to you is that until you attend one of these functions and ask direct your questions to the people that are most qualified to answer your questions intelligently, then quit making uninformed noises. Learn the facts, then if still not convinced, your opinion will be respected, but until then, you're just whining. I'll see you in Anchorage on the 25th, or you'll just continue to whine.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

I'm sorry LuJon - my rant wasn't pointed at you.....you're obviously trying to become informed. I was commenting to those that are ranting without knowing all the facts. I detest uninformed rants.
    Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post

I do not comment here, for I feel that I have little to offer, and enjoy to just read. As a 9 year disabled veteran in Army Aviation with multiple deployments, I have some personal experience. UAVs have earned their place in the combat world. 24 hr surveillance, precision hits, and stealth. They have also have had accidents, with aircraft. While preflighting for training mission, a UAV was preparing to take off the active rwy. We all stopped to watch, after all, its cool. The UAV after takeoff reared to the right, and impacted our helicopter rotor mast, completely destroying it. Thankfully, it was a "small" one, and cause minor damage to ours. Another time, while returning from a mission in Iraq, in Zero Lume, (no moon light, so night vision goggles are degraded greatly), we entered the downwind for landing. There was a predator (very large UAV, size of a GA aircraft I believe) in the pattern for landing also. The predator was blacked out (no lights on). The SOP is for all aircraft to turn on lights in the vicinity of the base, for obvious reasons. We could not see the uav, and I'm sure it's pilot cant see us, because he/she is looking through a camera. As we were turning base to final, I saw the predator literally just feet from us, below our rotor system. I gave the command to break right, and the pilot did not hesitate to follow command. Thankfully we averted a possible midair, and its plenty big enough to take a full size aircraft out of the sky. Everyone should be extremely careful around them. But I fully support the military and their needs. As a pilot in GA now, and wanting a flying job, I will agree, setting GA safety aside, UAV's are better suited, safer and cheaper, than a piloted aircraft for certain jobs.

UASguy, I would love to attend the conference, but I will not pay $175 for it. I think that is just absurd. I may go and try to get in for the open session to express my concerns.

While they have their place, my experience from 30 years of mil / gov't employment has been that allowing civilian interest to be displaced by mil/gov't intersts is like tightening a flex-tie one click at a time. It only goes one way and never backs-up.

I have also known a few UAV operators. They only see a small part of the area surround the UAV and they have no immediate interest in safety since they are not personally in any danger (at any time). Not to mention the relay time delay.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Quote Originally Posted by UASguy View Post
    I'm sorry LuJon - my rant wasn't pointed at you.....you're obviously trying to become informed. I was commenting to those that are ranting without knowing all the facts. I detest uninformed rants.
    As much as you resent losing just another little piece of your freedoms? You are now looking at Step #1 square in the face ! No need to jump on me about that. Just remember that you heard it here first . . . . .