Thread: Current Beach Camping Conditions PWS

Default Current Beach Camping Conditions PWS

I am planning on hitting Whittier this weekend and am curious if the beaches are clear for pitching a tent? If not i'll sleep on the boat. I just want to know so I can plan my packing list.

I saw people beach camping in the northern part of Surprise Cove last weekend. But there are still lots of places in PWS where the snow is deep and comes down to the waterline.

102_0013[1].jpg
    Culross Bay was clear in most areas at the head, still alot of snow there though,
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Came back Thursday and most places I saw down to and including Port Nellie Juan area had deep snow just about to waterline. There were two kayakers who spent one night in Deepwater Bay but I'm not sure they were above tide line and assume [or maybe they just didn't know] they figured it wasn't going to reach them. They arrived late [after midnight] and the tide was going out to minus when we woke up at 7 AM. You can see the snow is right to tide line in these shots but there are a few southern exposures with more [every day] opportunity.
    Couple Dozen Prawns.jpgHumpback Whales.jpg

We spent the past few days camped out there. Still plenty of snow to keep your food chilled. Couldn't get to our favorite camping spot because it still had a foot of snow on it but the rain is helping. When we left this morning we could have pitched a tent in our normal spot.
    Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,
    Teach a man to fish and he'll also learn to drink, lie, and avoid the honey do list.

Thanks for the info guys! Think I will take the tent and air mattresses along. weather looks good for the weekend