Thread: Results from Kenia Blackie hunt last week

Default Results from Kenia Blackie hunt last week

No bear down, that's the final result. Worked hard, glassed and covered all over the country there, from Moose Pass area to Skyline. Saw 2 bears the first morning, I could have taken the first but let it walk, saw one later that morning. Next day went to move on one in Moose Pass, but he just dissapeared. Saw one more later than evening but it was darker than I felt comfy with tryin to cover the distance. That was the last blackie we saw. Did see a sow brownie above Fuller with cubs. Lots of snow on the north sides still. Fuller gets snowed in about 400yds below lower lake. Everyone I talked to in Cooper Landing said Browns were already and issue in town, but no one had seen any blacks. Did get a good start to getting ready for my goat hunt in August. Had great weather, no rain to speak of and warm 55-63 degrees everyday.

Great report! I was hoping to get out and do basically the same hunt but I am afraid it will be too green by next weekend. How was it out there? Do you think it will be too thick come Friday afternoon to be worth the time?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Great report! I was hoping to get out and do basically the same hunt but I am afraid it will be too green by next weekend. How was it out there? Do you think it will be too thick come Friday afternoon to be worth the time?
    Its always worth the time Lujon, one never knows how it may play out and ya can't get'm from your rockin chair!
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....

Quote Originally Posted by Smokey View Post
    Its always worth the time Lujon, one never knows how it may play out and ya can't get'm from your rockin chair!
    Well stated!! I love chasing critters but in this case it isn't a choice between possibly chasing bears vs sitting at home but rather should I chase bears or take the family and boat up to Deshka and chase kings.

Default Rough weekend for Kenai Blackies

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    How was it out there? Do you think it will be too thick come Friday afternoon to be worth the time?
    We were out this weekend as well. Saw lots of brown bear sows with cubs. One black bear sow with little fuzzies. Only one boar sighted and he was out too late for us to do much with. We gave chase but he was in the nasty stuff before we ever had a chance to approach. We covered a bunch of ground glassing and were boat-based for much of the evening stuff. Brown bear up high. Brown bear up high. Brown bear up high. The blacks may have been hanging out below but we couldn't see with leaf out. Looked like a couple groups were baiting as well so that could have kept them in the thicker cover and out of view.
    Go Big Red!

Any day afield is better than a day not out and about.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I'm thinking this week may be better, I just don't think they were out in force yet. We didn't see any black sows with cubs, all boars. There was areas greening up, some more than others. Greenest areas I saw were Slaughter Ridge in Cooper and Devils Creek area. Everyday I could see more and more greening up, the sunlight was doing its job, even the snow line on Fullers Trail changed drastically in 2 days.

I might just have to make the drive down this weekend.