Thread: Tazlina Lake? Klutina report.

Default Tazlina Lake? Klutina report.

I hope all of you had a great Memorial Day weekend. I know this is a long shot, but did any of you float the Tazlina over the weekend? If so…was the ice out on the lake, and was/is there any nasty wood in the Little Nelchina? Maybe somebody flew over the lake or has some beta on the status of lakes in the area. I know every year is different, but have any of you have floated it before in late May/early June. We drove by it on our way home from the Klutina and were just blown away by the beauty of the mountains surrounding the lake.

Since I am trolling for some advice, it is only fair that I share. We floated the Klutina over the weekend and had a great trip. The road to mile 14.5 was gnarly, as usual. On the way to the put-in, it was raining making the road a slippery, rutted-up mess. The snow/ice mound at mile 10 was hard and was pretty much flush with the road; this should quickly disappear with some warm weather. The river was fun and splashy. Lots of wood, but easy to avoid. We paid the Ahtna fee and camped on the river. Easy 90 minute bike ride to pick up the truck while the wife and kids had lunch and hiked around the Princess Lodge. On the way out, the road was in much better shape.

Josh

be careful about "hiking" around the lodge,.... many, many many bears.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

power commuting twixt the valley and anchorage

Josh,

I am looking to float the tazlina in July and may do it before then as a trial run before I take my kids. I have emailed one of the flight services, as of yesterday the lake is ice free (earlier last week it wasn't). I'm not sure about the little nel/nel combo because I'm looking to fly out and bypass all that.

Scott
    My only gear sponsor is the salvation army - Dick Griffith

Default Tazlina

I might go in the next two weeks, if so, I will let you guys know the wood situation in the Little Nelchina.

Scott and Mark,

First of all, thanks for the info on Tazlina Lake, Scott. I also like to do a little recon before bringing my little ones down a river that is foreign to me. If you guys are interested, I may be able to pull off a quickie trip down the Tazlina in the next week or so. I could tow you across the lake with my Sotar/Honda combo. Heading off for the Chulitna tomorrow.

Later,
    Josh

Josh,
    What part of the Chulitna are you running. We are heading up in the AM also.
    -JR

The BLM rangers from Glenallen are on it right now and should be able to provide some insight about lake ice and strainers.

The Tazlina is pretty safe. Lots of wave trains that can be skirted around most of the time. Took my five year old at the time. Was a wonderful trip. One of my favorites