Thread: Late Breakup in Brooks Range?

Default Late Breakup in Brooks Range?

I'm four weeks out from a self-supported float trip flying out of Coldfoot, river to be determined based on water/weather/etc., and noticing what looks like a later than usual break-up and a colder than usual spring. I've looked at the usual web sources, in particular the water levels and the River Forecast Center's break-up log (http://aprfc.arh.noaa.gov). As a flatlander from Outside, not sure if this should mean anything to me in terms of planning. We expect that we'll get great beta from our air taxi on the eve of the trip, of course. But definitely seems later than past years.

Anyway, regarding break-up, is it simply too early to mean much? Or would it be wise for me to scope out some base camp options and/or target more south slope rivers? Or is this good news in that we'll likely have more flow due to being on the front end of break-up?

Just wondering if I should be doing something in terms of maps, gear, etc. as we prepare. Any insight welcomed...including suggestions to just sit tight and see what happens! Thanks.

Did some digging online man, can't find squat. I can appreciate your being excited, but the only avenue I could suggest would be calling the pilot and seeing what he thinks. From the emails, I can see you got some great trips planned. We are not getting up till late August and I am already losing sleep, meal planning, checking gear, etc.. I can only imagine how excited you guys are. Hopefully someone will chime in that can actually answer your question. ha ha... Either way, looking forward to talking with you after your trip. Loved the dog mushing video you sent last year. Awesome stuff man!

-Dan

Our main Rivers Page contains some links to river forecast sites (they're in the menus on the left-hand side of the page). Dunno if you've checked all of those, but it might help.

Regards,

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

Thanks for the responses, and thanks for the links, Mike! I'll poke around learn what I can, and then let the adventure come to me. Probably just over-thinking this a bit!

Quote Originally Posted by cpo View Post
    Probably just over-thinking this a bit!

When flying 4,000 miles to float a remote river in Alaska, "over-thinking" is a good move in my opinion

A winter time preoccupation of mine at any rate. ha ha...

Can't wait to see pics and hear about your upcoming float trips. That is a part of the state I long to see myself.

-Dan

I would say don't sweat it, early breakup, late breakup you'll be here in July so IMO it really doesn't matter, what matters is the rain or lack thereof just before you get here, 4th of July weekend has found me floating the same river for a few years now and it's never the same, first year was lots of water and big rapids, next year was low water and smallish rapids. It's weather dependent. One thing you can and should plan on is Mosquitos, Mosquitos, Mosquitos... You get the drift. Tons of them and they will make your trip horrible if not prepared for them. Your group will likely be the only blood source around and all the bugs know it. They will make your trip a nightmare w/o bug nets, just prepare for them and no big deal.

Aaaah, bugs....yes, we are familiar with those. :-) We'll have nets and have premethrin-soaked clothing, and have a little lightweight canopy, too. We've had the range of bugs over the past few years, have generally had enough breeze not to make us scream too much. But appreciate the reinforcement!

As for water, looks like things are flowing and understand that we just need to wait and see. Thanks!