Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jims Creek claims another.

Default Jims Creek claims another.

Buddies and I went out for what we thought was an afternoon ride to the glacier and back. But good old metal creek claimed one of the quads. Made it all the way to the glacier, and then on the way back one of the guys tried crossing in a bad spot, and the water flipped the quad over. We had to go swimming just to hook him up and turn it over. I did end up winching him out, but as for his 2012 CanAm 800 is destroyed. 26 mile tow back to the truck, good thing he has insurance, because when it went upside down under the water it took most of his plastics. I learned a very good lesson today. 1 never ride in alaska with stock tires "the canam"! 2 never buy a Canam! 3 Leave jims creek alone.

Thats what happens when you play in the rivers and creeks in Alaska, they are very unforgiving.

All good points. Add- let your crazy friends test out the water crossing points first.

Now where's the pictures?

Quote Originally Posted by Bamaboy View Post
    Buddies and I went out for what we thought was an afternoon ride to the glacier and back. But good old metal creek claimed one of the quads. Made it all the way to the glacier, and then on the way back one of the guys tried crossing in a bad spot, and the water flipped the quad over. We had to go swimming just to hook him up and turn it over. I did end up winching him out, but as for his 2012 CanAm 800 is destroyed. 26 mile tow back to the truck, good thing he has insurance, because when it went upside down under the water it took most of his plastics. I learned a very good lesson today. 1 never ride in alaska with stock tires "the canam"! 2 never buy a Canam! 3 Leave jims creek alone.
    "Took most of his plastics." What does that mean?

Quote Originally Posted by jim in anchorage View Post
    "Took most of his plastics." What does that mean?
    Fenders, cowlings, etc.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Thanks, must have dragged it quite aways.

i don't have any pictures, but i did get it on my Go Pro, but the camera was a little foggy i will post the link to youtube as soon as i get a chance to upload it!
    Quote Originally Posted by bnkwnto View Post
    All good points. Add- let your crazy friends test out the water crossing points first.

Now where's the pictures?

front rack gone, hand grips gone, plastic in front of the seat gone, rear rack broken but still there.
    Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Fenders, cowlings, etc.

Hand grips gone? did it go down metal creek or over Niagara falls? How far downstream did you retrieve it?

Default Wrong name ......

Nit picky, yes, and not a crime, - but sure wish people would get the name right. It's 'Jim Creek' - not 'Jim's'.
    Possible newbies keep aborting the name.

There goes another load of petrol pollutants into our anadromous fish waters. It adds up big time in KRPUA - well above what requires reporting, by law, to EPA.

No injuries, I hope.

I am very picky about when I will cross Metal Creek. Usually isn't enough over there to interest me enough to cross.
    It doesn't take much distance of rolling and bouncing on the rocks to total a bike. I've seen them come out looking like they were in a car crusher after a hundred yards or so.
    And swamping a bike results in a dang sight more water getting in than oil and gas getting out!
    Mike
    Mike
    www.alaskaatvclub.org
    There is a faster way off the mountain, might hurt a little though.

Last yr at work listened to some yahoo tell me when they cross metal creek they let the current take them across... I just shook my head and said they were idiots! I will never cross metal creek... The few times I been up there it was flowing pretty fast... As someone already said nothing over there for me...

It isn't Metal Creek that got the quad. It was lack of experience. Metal Creek is best crossed in Early spring. This time of year even Jim Creek can be nasty.

It wasn't the quad. It wasn't the tires. It was the rider. Just my opinion of course.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post
    It isn't Metal Creek that got the quad. It was lack of experience. Metal Creek is best crossed in Early spring. This time of year even Jim Creek can be nasty.

It wasn't the quad. It wasn't the tires. It was the rider. Just my opinion of course.
    Agreed. Glad there were no physical injuries. Unfortunate how having insurance makes us braver by giving us an "out".

Quote Originally Posted by mod elan View Post
    ...having insurance makes us braver...
    Aw darn it! The salesman said it would make me smarter...
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Aw man....it's summer ain't it. Your friend is darn lucky he's didn't get wedged under it.

Water+ ATVs= destruction....I saw, heard, or know at least a dozen people who swamped wheelers in the Delta last year, a couple are totaled.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Quote Originally Posted by dirtofak View Post

I've been there in Oct and it's super low.

I am surprised insurance would cover something like this. Irresponsible actions hurt everyone. Glad no one was hurt, but really.....

If it looks unsafe or unstable, avoid it.
    Now just why in the hell do I have to press "1" for English???

Quote Originally Posted by Hawken54 View Post
    I am surprised insurance would cover something like this. Irresponsible actions hurt everyone. Glad no one was hurt, but really.....

If it looks unsafe or unstable, avoid it.
    Most insurance companies are aware of the KRPUA. Geico and USAA will not over any vehicles damages in the valley.
    We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks anywhere that we may be placed

Quote Originally Posted by TWB View Post
    Most insurance companies are aware of the KRPUA. Geico and USAA will not over any vehicles damages in the valley.
    What the hell are you talking about? I just reviewed my USAA policy and there is no mention of excluding KRPUA or the Valley or any specific locations for that matter. As a matter of fact I have the exact same coverages on my wheelers as on my trucks/car including towing, road side assistance and rental car reimbursement (LOL).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast