Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Black bear tips?

Default Black bear tips?

Hey guys I need some advise from experts/veterans. I've set up a first time bait station just about 500 ft off the valley floor just off an Atv trail (up in the hills not flat land), but with descent cover mixture of spruce birch devils club alders willows and heavy blue berry bushes. I can tell this trail is being used by both grizz n black bears. My tree stand is about 60 yards away 12 ft up and higher in elevation over looking the bait. I decided to use popcorn with a sweet sauce of cane brown sugar butter koolaid. I even did the honey burn for few hrs just to scent the air. It's been 1 week and did check it this past saturday. Nothing have touched it, on this visit I added 50 pound dog food with used cooking grease. I even grease surrounding trees, poured some around the barrow and made a scent trail leading up to the Atv trail. There's still some snow and green foliage have not quite grown out yet, so still looking kind of bare/open. Also I did noticed the area have swirling wind. It will change directions from time to time. Besides the occasional atvs coming by its pretty quite area. The closes bait station that I know of is about three miles away. I'm a rookie but been doing some research and was just wondering if I'm doing the right stuff here and should give it more time? I noticed a big difference in the scent between the popcorn and dog food with grease. Should I move location if not hit by next weekend? Knowing the season is coming to an close at end of June, which won't leave me much time to relocate the station! O I also hung up some deer bones I got over the winter high in the trees above bait barrow. What should I do here?? Any advise would be helpful to a greenhorn like myself!! thanks a bunch and happy trails everyone!!😜

I would suggest to stick it out. The hard work will eventually pay off.

Wait it out. I have a bait up in unit 16 and last I checked I had no hits. Activity should heat up by next week.

Sent from my Milestone X using Tapatalk

Ok guys thanks a lot! And I will wait it out. Yes it was a lot of hard work effort and spendy. I was just worried it might not be a good spot or something! Thanks for the advice and I will keep ya posted and be sure to post a pic if all goes well. Thanks again and happy trails.

Keep a good eye behind you up hill
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

It seems like it is late all over this year. I've been on two hunts and both places it seemed like I was a couple of weeks early, but we did manage to close the deal. Last week when I setup my bait station, there was still 8 ft of snow on the place that I would normally have a tent pitched at this time of year.

They're out, and they're hungry. I like to walk out in radius lines from the bait, finding or making a trail to the major compass points, hanging scent wicks along the way, at least a mile each way. Every time you go in, put a lot of anise and vanilla scents into the air. The little cherry and licorice flavored car fresheners work, too. Just like in the business realm, your business can have a little wooden "Deli" sign by the counter, or it can have big neon billboards all over advertising it. Advertising works! Stink up the woods with lots of good stink, all leading back to your bait.

Activity in Unit 16 seems to be later than other areas. I wouldn't change locations unless you think you have a better location to move to (e.g. 'seeing tracks or scat elsewhere).

Thanks guys very useful info here! I just baited a second location just this past Sunday evening and checked it Tuesday night and guess what!!!😜 finally I got a hit!!! I mean it's a good thing I chained it to a tree or my barrow would of been gone! The area was tore up ground dugged up barrow thrashed around with teeth marks and it's a metal barrow!! Anyways I decided to stack/wedge logs to prevent them from moving barrow out of line of fire. At the same time I was spraying vanilla in the trees. As soon as I got there it was pretty obvious something big has been there! But during the last few logs were being stacked I heard huffing crunching. Stopped looked towards the noise and here comes this 300 plus blackie! I was making lots of noise singing even shouting at times but it didn't matter what I did he would not leave and the way out was where he came in. Must of been following me or temporarily left when I was approaching the site making all the ruckus. I pulled my 45 and fired a shot and he trotted off. I'm still pissed at myself that that day I decided to leave my rifle home!! Dang it!! I could of gotten my first blackie easy!! Hopefully I didn't scare the whole neighborhood off?? But looks like it might get interesting this weekend!! It could of gotten hit the same night? Who knows but i am very pleased of my second location. Was not expecting that at all. Looks like I'm on the right track now. Going to restock my site 2morrow. Will keep ya posted. Wish me luck and happy trails everyone and be safe.

Awesome! Glad the second location is panning out. Always a good idea to bring your hunting gun with you even when just re-baiting. I've walked up many times on my bait and had the bear at the barrel. Wish you luck.

Thanks blasterak! I won't make that mistake again. Good luck to u and everyone. Happy trails!!

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    Thanks guys very useful info here! I just baited a second location just this past Sunday evening and checked it Tuesday night and guess what!!!�� finally I got a hit!!! I mean it's a good thing I chained it to a tree or my barrow would of been gone! The area was tore up ground dugged up barrow thrashed around with teeth marks and it's a metal barrow!! Anyways I decided to stack/wedge logs to prevent them from moving barrow out of line of fire. At the same time I was spraying vanilla in the trees. As soon as I got there it was pretty obvious something big has been there! But during the last few logs were being stacked I heard huffing crunching. Stopped looked towards the noise and here comes this 300 plus blackie! I was making lots of noise singing even shouting at times but it didn't matter what I did he would not leave and the way out was where he came in. Must of been following me or temporarily left when I was approaching the site making all the ruckus. I pulled my 45 and fired a shot and he trotted off. I'm still pissed at myself that that day I decided to leave my rifle home!! Dang it!! I could of gotten my first blackie easy!! Hopefully I didn't scare the whole neighborhood off?? But looks like it might get interesting this weekend!! It could of gotten hit the same night? Who knows but i am very pleased of my second location. Was not expecting that at all. Looks like I'm on the right track now. Going to restock my site 2morrow. Will keep ya posted. Wish me luck and happy trails everyone and be safe.
    I must have read your post incorrectly???
    You say your baiting for black bears; a black bear comes along and you fire shots to scare him away?????? With a 45?????
    A 45 is more than capable of killing a blackie (if you are capable of hitting it in the heart/lung area).
    Congratulations on the sighting & setting up an appealing bait stand. Now go practice with your pistol - its a WEAPON, not a noisemaker.

Quote Originally Posted by Ak_Barbarian View Post
    But during the last few logs were being stacked I heard huffing crunching. Stopped looked towards the noise and here comes this 300 plus blackie!
    Sounds like a nice bear... and look forward to seeing any photos that you might share.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    I must have read your post incorrectly???
    You say your baiting for black bears; a black bear comes along and you fire shots to scare him away?????? With a 45?????
    A 45 is more than capable of killing a blackie (if you are capable of hitting it in the heart/lung area).
    Congratulations on the sighting & setting up an appealing bait stand. Now go practice with your pistol - its a WEAPON, not a noisemaker.
    Ok John Wayne!! Now look here I know my p90 ruger 45 is capable but it was thick bushy all over no clear shot plus it was late getting dark and didn't want to risk wounding it!! I just wanted him out of my way! I had other plans smart guy!!! I'm sorry but I think I made a wise decision here...I think u just jealous😡(noise maker) now u go make some noise about that!!!

Well just got back from second bait station and after two nights of waiting big blackie never showed? First night (thurs) a buddy and I found the site destroyed again and all of bait was gone!! Restocked and decided to build a quick ground blind.... Big mistake! At about 10:30pm we heard/see nothing until growl growll growwlll! At first I thought my buddy was hungry? We looked at eachother and both got up quick and was ready for anything. Snapped a couple of twigs and then silent. Few mins later heard twigs snapping 50-60 yards away and that was it. Next morning we put up a tree stand and again the bait was hit. After setting up the stand we left to have some lunch(mid noon). Went back at 7:00pm and quietly snuck in the stand. ?????? Where's all the blackies????? At 10:30-11 here comes a grizzly, got spooked and left n a hurry. 30 mins later here comes another grizz. This time it was a monster!!! We too scared it off after 5mins of recording. We waited until 1ish and no blackies never showed😢 no wonder I'm having a grizz problem here. Any suggestion!! I think blackies aren't coming if site has been taken over by grizz/brownies?? Otherwise we would of seen some already! Anyways we're going to check station 1 later on and hopefully it turns out Better. Will keep ya posted.😜

Not jealous at all. Just raggin on you - your post made it sound like you were afraid the bear would get too close - maybe close enough to shoot with a pistol?
    DON"T restock the bait. the brown s should leave after finding no new food for a few days. Time is getting short, but if you wait until next weekend to rebait, you might get to see your blackie again. Who knows?

Sorry Gary but you kinda hurt my feelings here. Sounded like you were getting smart making fun of me! We all are intitled to our own opinion and decisions, but thanks for the advise. Those grizz really pissed me off though!!😡 a lot of hard work just to feed yogi. I want bubu got **** it!! But you really think the grizzs will move on after losing interest on empty barrows for a week??? It's a really good area and I don't want to relocate do to time frame (season) plus I know there's blackies around not just when grizzs are in the area. Any advise/info/suggestions are welcome. Thanks again.

sounds like you made a good decision not to try a "through the brush with a .45 shot". probably wouldn't have gone well, good call. i've had black bears shot really well with a .300 wm run quite a ways before going down and left a poor blood trail (soaked up in the hair). have you tried any calling around your stand area at all?? if there's brown bears maybe from a stand would be good but if the blackies are coming in late might get them in sooner. best of luck.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by cjustinm View Post
    sounds like you made a good decision not to try a "through the brush with a .45 shot". probably wouldn't have gone well, good call. i've had black bears shot really well with a .300 wm run quite a ways before going down and left a poor blood trail (soaked up in the hair). have you tried any calling around your stand area at all?? if there's brown bears maybe from a stand would be good but if the blackies are coming in late might get them in sooner. best of luck.
    You mean like with a predator call rabbit/coyote? I'm not sure if blackies are even still coming in??? Will both black n grizzs do the same thrashing, tossing logs, scrapping ground into piles?? Because I know there's evidence of both types of hair around barrow feeding hole. We were out til about 12:00am last night(last grizz sighting)and after stayed til we couldn't see anymore(dark)and decided to leave thinking blackies aren't coming in. Mayb they are coming in and out quick and between the morning hours??? Oh thanks for the advice I didn't even think about that! Lots of rabbit droppings and tore up rabbit fur all over where I decided to place my barrow. I'll try that at my bait station 1, headed up there today to recheck it. Been 2weeks since first setup nothing hit after 1week with popcorn and sweets. Topped off with dog food and grease and honey burn. It's been two weeks now so I'm wanting to see if any hits!!! Will keep ya posted!! Happy trails

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

The site digging sounds more like grizz behavior to me..the grizz will mark the site theirs in that fashion..and ruin it. i only have blacks and grizz on mine because i always undo the marking..and will pizz in it to mark it MINE..if its torn up pit it back the way you had it..grizz ARE trainable.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast