Thread: Denali Highway Grayling

Default Denali Highway Grayling

Iand my 2 adult sons plan to drive across the Denali Highway on June 12, and wehope to do some fishing for grayling along the way. We're from New Hampshire, and we've neverbeen to Alaska before, so we don't know much about grayling fishing. Can anybody recommend spots along the DenaliHighway to try, tackle, lures, bait, techniques, etc.? We don't have a boat, so we're limited tofishing from shore. I know June 12 isearly for grayling fishing, I understandthe lakes in that area are still frozen, and their ice usually goes out in midto late June, but we're on a schedule, and June 12 is the only day wehave. Are there likely to be many grayling in the streams by then?

Also,can anyone recommend spots for grayling fishing along the AK Highway south ofDelta Jct. or in Yukon? We're driving toSeattle right after we leave the Denali Highway. We really appreciate any help anyone can giveus.

I moved up from "pinardville " west side of Manchester in 1975.
    try TANGLE river about 20 miles west of Paxton. Using o mepps and similar size spinners will work. If flyrodding try mosquito, black flies muddler etc. Have a great time.

Pretty much any creek you come across is worth a try. Find deep pools or eddies and toss small spinners or bead-head flies. Even though you're only doing this for a day, be sure to have a fishing license as that road is most certainly patrolled by the Wildlife Troopers. They're beautiful little fish and are very eager to take spinners or flies if present. Enjoy!

Flies black gnats & mosquitoes
    small silver spinners, 0 mepps, silver blade is one of my favorites for grayling
    4 to 6 lb test line.

Thanks everyone!

Are any paticular creeks likely to be better than any others? And how about fishing the ice-free fringes of lakes?

Glad to hear the Wildlife Troopers patrol the road - I understand there's no cell phone coverage on most of the road.

Roland, I was in Pinardville just yesterday - don't think it's changed much in 25 years.

Thanks again.

I have fished Brushkana and the Tangle lake system and slayed em both places. I don't think you can go wrong with any body of water out there. The fish are always hungry and will bite any ratty old fly or silver spinner. Just keep your pole handy and stop wherever you see open water. When it is lunch time, just head and gut a few, wrap in foil with S+P and maybe some butter and lemon juice, and put them in the fire, in the oven, or on the BBQ. Yum! I find grayling to be the best tasting freshwater fish you can catch. Have fun!

There are a lot of small creeks that flow into Tangle lake and most of the deeper ones have a ton of grayling. Also try windy creek. Windy creek has some good size ones. Have fun and "tight lines"!
    "In every walk with nature one receives far more than he seeks." John Muir

Default Clearwater Creek . . .

Quote Originally Posted by johnh603 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Are any paticular creeks likely to be better than any others?
    There's a real nice pool on the upstream side of the bridge at Clearwater Creek. Looking upstream from the bridge, go down to the river on the right . . you'll see a little feeder creek coming in on the right when you get to the river. Just upstream from the feeder creek holds lots of grayling. Just downstream likewise. Try a small, dark nymph . . cast it upstream, and let it come down on a dead drift.

Attachment 60387

Some good advice on fishing spots here....Don't forget to buy a milepost for your drive to Seattle....many....many.....good fishing spots on that drive. Just make sure to set aside extra time for fishing/exploring....

Quote Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
    There's a real nice pool on the upstream side of the bridge at Clearwater Creek. Looking upstream from the bridge, go down to the river on the right . . you'll see a little feeder creek coming in on the right when you get to the river. Just upstream from the feeder creek holds lots of grayling. Just downstream likewise. Try a small, dark nymph . . cast it upstream, and let it come down on a dead drift.

Attachment 60387
    Delta Clearwater?

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Delta Clearwater?
    Denali Highway, Alaska
    A Mile-by-Mile Guide

Clearwater Wayside/Outhouse MP 55.5/79.5
    MP 55.6/79.4 One lane bridge across Clearwater Creek

Quote Originally Posted by KMac View Post
    Delta Clearwater?
    Delta Clearwater has lots of tall spruce trees around it and no bridges.

Quote Originally Posted by johnh603 View Post
    Thanks everyone!

Are any paticular creeks likely to be better than any others? And how about fishing the ice-free fringes of lakes?

Glad to hear the Wildlife Troopers patrol the road - I understand there's no cell phone coverage on most of the road.

Roland, I was in Pinardville just yesterday - don't think it's changed much in 25 years.

Thanks again.
    If you are fishing the edges of the ice you will be catching lake trout, white fish and the occasional grayling. Try just about any spinners, spoons, dry and wet flies and see what they happen to be biting on. The fish are nice and hungry when the ice first starts to go out.

Hope you and your sons have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by pipercub View Post
    Some good advice on fishing spots here....Don't forget to buy a milepost for your drive to Seattle....many....many.....good fishing spots on that drive. Just make sure to set aside extra time for fishing/exploring....
    Thanks, pipercub. I have The Milepost, and it has lots of good info on the AK Hwy, but it's mostly road conditions and what to expect along the way. It does mention some spots where there's fishing, but not much on how good the fishing is.

Do you have any particular favorite spots along the AK Highway south of Delta Junction or in the Yukon? After we get off the Denali Highway we'll be able to spend only a half day fishing (we might stretch it to a full day if we're having really good luck, but no more than that).

Thanks.

John