Thread: Great day

Default Great day

I spent about 7 hours with my 9yr old son today soaking eggs at Ship Creek, including prep time/making lunches, etc. Not a bite for either one of us, but an awesome day anyway. It's amazing how spending time with your kids on the fishing is an experience that I never get tired of and I always come away feeling great.

2 summers ago, my first summer in Ak, I started a thread on here about how my kids were lucky enough to have a stranger hook a sockeye at the Kenai and then coach each of them as he let them reel them in on opening day. It started a little controversy which I am not trying to get started again, except that my son still brings that up as a day that helped to get him hooked on fishing. Since then my son and daughter have woken up early many mornings to drive to the Kenai or elsewhere to wet a line, my son spent hrs upon hrs flipping until he caught his own sockeye from flip to bank last yr(2of them), they both landed lots of pinks for last season, and my son was eager to go spend a beautiful sunny Memorial Day getting skunked king fishing with his dad. So I am still grateful to the guy who helped me get my kids hooked on fishing in Alaska. Get your kids out there no matter what it takes. Have a great summer everyone.

I agree. I love letting my kids reel in any fish that I get. Seeing the joy on their faces is worth any fish I would reel in on my own.

AMEN!!! My son baited, cast, and reeled in his own fish without any help from dad. It was only a lil rainbow, but it had to be the best fish I have seen caught yet. He didn't catch another one that day but he kept casting for the next three hours without tiring.. One of the proudest moments I have had. He got the bug and it aint going away.

Excellent story, thanks for sharing. I hope my kids have just as much fun this year, as we get after some reds and pinks. Take care and good luck fishing

Great times for sure...got 6yo twins..one is a greener(not even in my DNA..lol) the other a diehard hunter and fishing fool. Both enjoy time with Dad fishing along with spending time in the outdoors. Never have to push them..one just makes sure we pick up and pack out what we take in..

Pictures like this and time with them is way to short lived.

Kaehla Rock Bass.jpg
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Attachment 62684Attachment 62685
    +1 I agree as well I love the fact that my 6 year old (turns 7 next month) is hooked on fishing. She tends to love to wet the line and rarely do I have to pressure her into going. Also she is all about helping dad clean any kill I take home (she insisted on helping skin a bear in the back yard last year). One of the biggest things that makes me smile is after each fish we clean she has to inspect it to see if it has eggs or not. Always nice to have a great day out with the kids that is for sure

"Whoever said the pen is mightier than the sword obviously never encountered automatic weapons."

Cono! Looks like lots of fun!

Default Greener

You crack me up! So true though. Well worth it to hear both ends of the stick. HAHA

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    Great times for sure...got 6yo twins..one is a greener(not even in my DNA..lol) the other a diehard hunter and fishing fool. Both enjoy time with Dad fishing along with spending time in the outdoors. Never have to push them..one just makes sure we pick up and pack out what we take in..

Pictures like this and time with them is way to short lived.

Kaehla Rock Bass.jpg

Some of my best memories of my dad are the days we went fishing together. I hope my daughter feels the same when I'm gone

Awesome! My three oldest all caught their first small trout in Knik lake with salmon eggs dangling under bobbers. They are all hooked now too. Hopefully I'll have some time to get them out this summer.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

This was my son's first ever. The look in his eyes makes me smile every time!

When all else fails...ask your old-man.

AKArcher