Thread: Modify Aluminum Boat (Hewescraft) to tow a water skier?

Default Modify Aluminum Boat (Hewescraft) to tow a water skier?

Does anyone know of anybody who has done a mod to their boat in order to pull a skier? It is my understanding that the the two cleats on the back are not make to pull a skier... possibly an inner tube. I was thinking a tow hook, or maybe a rod that I slide into a slot that I can remove easily, etc... Any pictures or threads where this was covered? I did a search and couldn't find anything.

Have you posted to the Hewescraft owners forum? Some talented guys there intimately familiar with the various boat models.

I would think you want the tow point in ahead of the engine so you'll be able to turn. If your boat has a aluminum house and its strong enough why not tow off the back of the house, a simple hole with a shackle through it to attach the the line to should work fine.

Alaska Shrimp Pots

Rigid & Folding Shrimp & Crab Pots
    Electra Dyne Pot Haulers
    Ropes, Buoys, Bait
    alaskashrimppots.com
    akshrimppots@mtaonline.net
    907 775 1692

I have used a Hewescraft River Runner to tow skiers in the past and has no issues using those two points on the transom. They make a Y rope that attaches to both of those points and then fits in behind the motor so you have no turning issues, then you hook your main tow rope to that.

Actual ski boats have a vertical beam on the transom that they hook up to which allows a better pull angle on the skier. With your setup the skier has to work more since they are being drug through the water instead of up out of it.

I have posted to the Hewescraft forum, but nothing yet. I thought I read somewhere a thread regarding this but I cannot remember or find it. However, I did speak to a guy in Idaho who does mods like this and he gave me some pointers. I was just looking for examples. I assume most people in Alaska don't water ski because the water is cold mostly year around?

Here are some pictures of what I was thinking. However, it maybe more of a hassle, and I may just give the ' Y ' rope attached to each cleat a try. I just don't want it rubbing on the motor. Also, hooking it to the tower is out of the question.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is my boat...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have an inboard River Runner and pull skiers and tubes from the rear eyelets all the time. I have a Y rope with snap hooks on each end and the tow rope attaches to a pulley with a float that can move side to side around turns.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Grayling,

The cleats on top of the gunnel, or the eyelets on back of the transom that are used to tie down the boat to the trailer? By chance do you know where you purchased the Y rope? Or, did you make it yourself? If possible a picture would help.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinBarrel View Post
    Grayling,

The cleats on top of the gunnel, or the eyelets on back of the transom that are used to tie down the boat to the trailer? By chance do you know where you purchased the Y rope? Or, did you make it yourself? If possible a picture would help.
    The eyelets on the back of the transom that you use to tie down on the trailer.

I got my Y from some water ski place online but I think you can even get them from Cabela's now.

What he said.

I think I ordered mine from Overtons online. You might have to lengthen or order a longer one to clear your outboard though.
    "I'd rather be fishing!"

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling Slayer View Post
    What he said.

I think I ordered mine from Overtons online. You might have to lengthen or order a longer one to clear your outboard though.
    That's the company couldn't think of the name!