Thread: .38 special and Titegroup question

Default .38 special and Titegroup question

Ok here is my question. I have a .357 snubnose that i want to take with Halibut fishing to dispatch halibut. I want to load 140grn Speer hollow point bullets. I dont want to go up to .357 power as its not needed and the noise is a bit much. I would however like a bit more power that a standard .38 load. I also want to load it in .38 brass so i wont get it mixed up with full power .357 ammo. My question is the max for a .38+P is 4.6grns or Titegroup. Max for a .357 is over 6grns. can i go to 5grns in .38 brass and be OK?

LOL! A little late in the season for internet trolling, isn't it?
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

I would do it just for the halibut...

Rigging your .357 snub nose for halibut:

1. rig a large circle hook with a salmon belly strip and hoochie on an 18" length of gangion.
    2. remove cylinder from gun.
    3. feed the free end of the gangion through muzzle of gun and tie securely around frame/trigger guard juncture.
    4. attach main line to trigger guard, utilizing 200# stainless swivel.
    5. lower rigged pistol to sandy bottom and jig up and down.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    #Resist

I prefer the flash a stainless rig provides when the water is clear.

Well i thought i would ask. It is a stainless .357 and that is nice when you go out in the salt as you well know.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    LOL! A little late in the season for internet trolling, isn't it?
    You lost me with this one

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    You lost me with this one
    My apologies. Your OP was serious?
    #Resist

Well actually it was a serious question LOL. I just want a load that is stouter than a standard .38 but not full power .357 so we dont blow up eardrums.

Ok here is my question. I have a .357 snubnose that i want to take with Halibut fishing to dispatch halibut. I want to load 140grn Speer hollow point bullets. I dont want to go up to .357 power as its not needed and the noise is a bit much. I would however like a bit more power that a standard .38 load. I also want to load it in .38 brass so i wont get it mixed up with full power .357 ammo. My question is the max for a .38+P is 4.6grns or Titegroup. Max for a .357 is over 6grns. can i go to 5grns in .38 brass and be OK?
    Well actually it was a serious question LOL. I just want a load that is stouter than a standard .38 but not full power .357 so we dont blow up eardrums.
    Ok, sorry. In that case tho, I gotta ask the obvious question: Why? A .38+P is already more powerful than a standard .38, but less so than a .357, yet you indicate you're seeking a load hotter than a +P.... Regardless, ANY .38 load is already WAY more gun than you need to put a hole through a halibuts head, and still will require hearing protection, notwithstanding the fact that shooting at a halibut is arguably much more dangerous than letting the darn thing thrash around on deck would be anyway. Why not use a harpoon or flying gaff to secure and calm your fish before bringing it onboard? It's safer, cleaner, quieter, more effective, and you won't risk shooting a hole in your boat or one of it's occupants....
    #Resist

What fun is that?

I use a 330 Brooks hardcast at 1200 for my big butts, it is quite fun - and I don't see any reason you can't be safe at the same time. I often stick a harpoon in them first also - don't want to shoot that line off. Also - if a sea lion should want to get up on my boat I can be assured of pretty good penetration.

Stick with the +P load. If you want to go more, load up a .357 mag to a light load. The titegroup will light right up without issue.

I'm not fond of loading "hot" loads in a 38spl case as there is the possibility that they could end up actually shot in a 38spl gun. The load should be plenty safe shot in your 357 revolver. I would suggest loading them in 357cases and marking them in some way such as filing a notch in the rim. I assume you're not going to load a bunch of them so maybe load them in a brand of case of which you only have a few. I have a lot of 357 cases so I'm sure I have a handfull of some unusual brand brass I could donate if you want to go that route.

You can also sharpie the primer and rim - it won't last forever, but if you keep the rounds in a case it will stay on a long time.

I do this when I am working up loads - using different colors to ID the rounds.

I would think some wad cutters loaded upside down to make them act like a hollow point would be a good fish thumper outa a 38 cal gun? Not sure I would want a snubnose on a rolling, slippery boat as my choice of fish killers?
    When asked what state I live in I say "The State of Confusion", better known as IL....