Thread: Varmint shooting in AK?

Default Varmint shooting in AK?

I am originally from MT and used to have gophers, rockchucks, and Prarie Dogs within a short drive. I know and don't expect that kind of availability here, but are there any huntable varmints in AK?

Thanks

Coyotes are the only four legged animals up here that I would classify as varmints. (And it's not legal to hunt the two legged ones).
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Lol, I love calling coyotes and foxes, and got a super nice vixen red last year, and you right there are some 2 legged varmints

I thought there was one kind of critter like a rock chuck or the like up here, I just can't remember and don't know anything about them

I know there are marmots to be taken under a trappers license, but maybe that's it?

Thanks for the response

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBull View Post
    Lol, I love calling coyotes and foxes, and got a super nice vixen red last year, and you right there are some 2 legged varmints

I thought there was one kind of critter like a rock chuck or the like up here, I just can't remember and don't know anything about them

Thanks for the response
    There are a few rock chuck/marmots around, here and there. Certainly wouldn't call em varmints tho.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Ya, I'm sure they don't cause the issues their cousins do in the lower 48 so varmint probly isn't a good term for them

Yes there are marmonts up here BUT you might want to check out the rags BEFORE you start shooting them. If I remember correctly you are required to 'salvage' what you shoot.

Thanks, I always check the regs before doing anything

IIRC you must salvage the hide OR meat.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

One of the things I dearly loved when guiding was explaining to the out-of-state shooters that they couldn't just blast anything they wanted... in Alaska you need to salvage either the hide or meat of nearly everything. Gratuitous killing is frowned upon.
    So in other words, if my client insisted on blasting a ground squirrel, I would insist on either skinning it or preparing it for dinner.... the urge always passed.
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Quote Originally Posted by AK Bearcat View Post
    Yes there are marmonts up here BUT you might want to check out the rags BEFORE you start shooting them. If I remember correctly you are required to 'salvage' what you shoot.
    You are right about this.Marmots can only be taken under a trapping license and trapping regulations.As pointed out in several posts already,almost everything you shoot requires salvage of the hide or meat.

I did a whole lot of varmint shooting in the lower 48 and can't think of anything that even compares up here.Down there it was a symbiotic relationship between us and the farmers.Varmints damage their crops and land,we get to shoot the varmints.It was a Win-Win situation.

While I did miss shooting jack rabbits and squirrels, but up here there is NO limit on dirt clods and rocks. They can be almost as much fun shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by SANDRAT View Post
    It was a Win-Win situation.
    Well I do believe the varmints lost.......
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Has anyone had any experience shooting fox with a .223 Rem with a 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade bullet? I got them due to the fact that they are supposed to be pelt savers, but I have yet to shoot one with it. Extremely accurate! 1/2" group at 100 yards...

Those marmots are nice to watch while sheep hunting.....harmless animals they add to the hunt!

If you want to rid Alaska of some real varmints, put some effort into coyotes and save our Dall Sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by VernAK View Post
    Those marmots are nice to watch while sheep hunting.....harmless animals they add to the hunt!

If you want to rid Alaska of some real varmints, put some effort into coyotes and save our Dall Sheep.
    I personally don't consider coyotes varmints but will do my best to put a few on stretchers

Quote Originally Posted by hunterofalaska View Post
    Has anyone had any experience shooting fox with a .223 Rem with a 50 grain Barnes Varmint Grenade bullet? I got them due to the fact that they are supposed to be pelt savers, but I have yet to shoot one with it. Extremely accurate! 1/2" group at 100 yards...
    i think you may find any normal 223 load rough on fox, that has been my experience. If it were me I would down load to hotlrnet velocities or so and use a soft point. If everything goes perfect the highly frangable billets can work well but they have a tendency to either splash if you hit a bone or they leave gaping holes.
    JMO YMMV

Coyotes are a non-indigenous specie in AK......been here less than a century. I've taken a few this fall but the fur quality is so poor that they have almost no value.....maybe $20-$25 at best and without serious bullet holes. Not worth my effort to skin and stretch.

when you only have a hunting LIC you can shoot 2 wolfs but if you have a hunting LIC you can shoot a lot more , what I am saying is with a trapping LIC. you can shoolt your TRAPPING lic quoter , just a tidbit of info