Thread: Wild spinach

Default Wild spinach

Hi
    I am new here and this is my first post,I am a fur buyer /trapper/ comercial fisherman from the lower Yukon river.
    I see some familiar names from t-man on here and just wanted to say Hi and show you all the greens we picked today for dinner with our moose fillet mingyung, (I hope the spelling police have a sence of humore here

its still pretty brown out here and the trees have yet to leaf out so we were pretty lucky to fine these wild spinach on a south facing slope they are awsome eating and go good with fish or about anything.

we will be out after wild ruhbarb and firweed shoots here soon.

Jeff

Good stuff, Jeff! What kind of ground do you find those in - down near the water, up on dryer slopes, or...? I'd like to utilize more wild greens, but other than fiddlehead ferns and fireweed shoots, I'm pretty clueless.

Welcome aboard!

Thanks Brian for the welcome

We find the greens on the hills along the river (not tundra) on the dryer ground they are the first thing to sprout in the spring, they tend to grow under alder trees on the south facing slopes the sprouts pop up through the dead leaves right after the snow melts.

as the plant matures the stem gets woody and tough, but the leaves stay tender till midsummer, by then they will have small yellow flowers on top I am not sure what the true name for them are an old Eskimo lady showed them to me years ago.

they are nice and tender and are the best eating of all the spring greens IMO very mild flavor I sometimes bake them inside a Sheefish or salmon with a dab of butter and some lawrys season salt.
    tonight they were seared quickly in some butter and season salt and was exelent as a side dish with our moose.