Thread: Need Help Tracking a Wounded Animal?

Default Need Help Tracking a Wounded Animal?

Hi folks,

I just read the thread where one of our members shot a brown bear with a .300 Win. Mag. and the bear escaped wounded. In that thread someone mentioned an organization called "Alaska Game Search", a company that uses trained blood tracking dogs to help find wounded game animals. I contacted them and thought a sticky note on them would be in order for our hunters in SouthCentral Alaska (they are based in Anchorage).

If you are hunting the Anchorage / Palmer / Wasilla area and have a wounded animal you cannot find, you might give these guys a shout. Their website is at http://www.akgamesearch.org/. They specialize in finding wounded big-game animals. So if you've done your best to find the animal but are coming up empty, drop them a line right away and see if they can come out and help you. They're a not-for-profit company who are only interested in eliminating the suffering of wounded game and protecting the public from wounded animals.

Good hunting!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay

nice post mike. neat organization...i'd never ever heard of it.

This is the best sticky on the entire forum thanks Mike!

is this a fee service or just a good willed group of sportsmen?
    Semper Fi and God Bless

Quote Originally Posted by tboehm View Post
    is this a fee service or just a good willed group of sportsmen?
    When I spoke with them they said there is no charge for this service. The catch is that you've got to be in the Anchorage / Valley area. Close enough to drive to. Of course the critter can be anywhere, my point is that it's not gonna work for a wounded moose in the Brooks Range or something.

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.

Nice! Great link!
    US Air Force - retired and Wildlife photographer

To follow my photography adventures check out my facebook page

I've known Roger Hull, Alaska Game Search, for years. He's a stand up guy.
    I may be slow, but I get where I'm going!

Way cool! I know the point of the stickey is for information on the free help down in the valley. But what about a how to?

1. After you shoot, wait 30 min or more. (allows the animal to lay down and die)

2. No matter what even if you KNOW it was a miss, track the animal at least 300 yards, even if there is no blood. Sometimes it takes a ways for an animal to start bleeding.

3. Never walk directly in the blood, or tracks, if you loose the trail you can flag it back out and get a general direction the animal is traveling, but as a last resort.

4. If you run out of blood, put your hat or flagging down, and start walking SLOW circles that get bigger and bigger in attempt to pick the sighn back up. Or if that fails, do number 3.

Bet others have advice here too.... Seems like the more i look around the more people i meet that have no idea about hunting past get a gun and a tag, and go for it. That is fine for rabbits, but a little bit more thought is needed for Moose, bear, bou... ect.

All very good ponts. I would add a couple of thoughts. Move very slowly. If you begin to lose the blood trail, look back the way you came. Sometimes a different angle or different light/shadow will let you pick up the blood again. Look under low hanging limbs and on the back side of blow downs as they will lay up in shade. When you get frustrated, stop and sit down for a rest. Think it over and repeat the process form the point of first blood.

Just remember this is all part of "fair chase" and can be extremely rewarding when you track it down.

I started a thread over on baiting looking for a tracking dog for my wifes bear. There is no organization in the interior but i called roger anyway and he got me hooked up with someone in fairbanks, great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by AKHunterNP View Post
    I started a thread over on baiting looking for a tracking dog for my wifes bear. There is no organization in the interior but i called roger anyway and he got me hooked up with someone in fairbanks, great guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Would the Fairbanks guy mind if you posted his contact info here?

Mike

On the one hand, it sucks to have to track something a distance. On the other hand, there is nothing like finally finding them after a long search. Often almost as exciting and even more gratifying than shooting them in the first place. Better down at dead at the end of a short bloodbath but sometimes stuff happens.