Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why the "Flip and Rip"

Default Why the "Flip and Rip"

I was down on the Kenai Penninsula this weekend looking around so I figured I would check out the Ninilchik and Deep Creek. There were quite a few folks fishing and ALL of them were doing the ol' flip and rip. Why?? A well presented bait of eggs under a float or drifted along the bottom would yield MUCH better results and reduce the number of fish that are brought in with a hook in their sides. Beating the water to death like that will shut down a bite instantly. I am assuming from reading the regs that bait is allowed untin Sept 1, so correct me if I am wrong. I watched a guy snag a beautiful chromer maybe 12 lbs and it took him 25 mins to land that fish that was snagged in the side.

Rippers suck. They violate the very foundation of angling as a sport... enticing the fish into willful take.

The fish should be chasing the gear. The gear should NOT be chasing the fish.
    "Let every angler who loves to fish think what it would mean to him to find the fish were gone." Zane Grey
    http://www.piscatorialpursuits.com/uploads/UP12710.jpg
    The KeenEye MD

I just hate seeing fish hooked in the side or even sometimes in the head not the mouth!! That just takes all the sport out of catching a fish! Its the same thing as hunting from a helicopter except that is illegal. People need to catch them the RIGHT WAY!

they better have a tight grip when they get hit. Yea it sucks probably 90 percent of time it is a fouled hook fish. It sucks when fishing and u are near them when u are in time restricted water and u c rollers at start of day and the first flip snags a fish and u got to wait on them to bring it in.

A Fish and Game employee told me yearrs ago that if a hook penetrates the abdominal cavity and after removing the hook, water gets in, any eggs or milt wet by the fresh water will only be viable for about 24 hours. After that, there will be no spawn results for the wetted eggs or milt.

There is no point to flipping for kings, pinks or silvers. Each of these fish will readily take a lure or bait. But some people lack creativity or skill and that is all they know to do. I suspect they are the same folks who leave gobs of line, cigarette packages and beer bottles on the beach where they are "fishing". Beach trash.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    There is no point to flipping for kings, pinks or silvers. Each of these fish will readily take a lure or bait. But some people lack creativity or skill and that is all they know to do. I suspect they are the same folks who leave gobs of line, cigarette packages and beer bottles on the beach where they are "fishing". Beach trash.
    Agreed. I thought they only existed down in the lower 48 where I moved from but they are up here too. Really makes me sick.

"Flipping and ripping" is an unethical technique used by alot of salmon fishermen on many salmon fisheries. This applies to spin fishing with lures, too. Snaggers will snag regardless of the terminal tackle they choose. Education is the key.

Lets be very clear. "Flipping and Ripping" is not fly-fishing. And, salmon DO strike a properly presented fly aggressively.

I fished a lower peninsula stream this weekend and did not see ANY snagging. The majority of fishermen were casting eggs/herring under a bobber. The few fly fishermen I saw were wet-fly swinging, egg patterns with no "ripping" or no setting of the fly on every drift. A properly presented fly will induce a king to strike aggressively. On the swing and even on the hang-down In fact, Kings will "rip" the fly (and fly rod) right out of your hands with a freight train take.

Folks are missing out, there's almost nothing better than fly-fishing proper for King salmon...

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBarbless View Post
    "Flipping and ripping" is an unethical technique used by alot of salmon fishermen on many salmon fisheries. This applies to spin fishing with lures, too. Snaggers will snag regardless of the terminal tackle they choose.
    Hold on a minute.... A long time ago I fished the Anchor on the opener. It was early morning and high tide. I looked down the bank and everybody was soakin' eggs and not catching a thing. You could see all kinds of kings in there thick. I put on a "T" spoon and tossed it out. A big 40lb. native king hit it like a ton of bricks on the first cast.

Years before that on the Kasilof, when you used to actually be able to use the whole river, we used to throw a "Little Jewel" spoon across the river and let it bounce on the bottom down towards the fast water. Kings used to pick them up like nobodies business.

Now, if I'm bank fishing, I fly fish for kings and it's a lot of fun. I'll "flip" a bead and some yarn but I don't rip.

The point is, I wasn't a snagger back then when I was tossing metal, and I'm not a snagger now if, and when I decide to "flip".

I understand what you are saying, but not everybody that fishes different than you falls into the same category that you think they do.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Maybe it is time to discuss what "flip" and "rip" actually are. Here's my undersatnding:

Flipping is just throwing a given portion of your line out, letting it drift down (while perhaps taking in a bit) and then drawing the rod up to cast out again. Flipping with a bead or yarn like that makes sense in close quarters like People's Hole, though it isn't fly fishing. I do it, but I'm depending on the fish to take my offering rather than snagging it. I'd rather soak eggs or drift eggs than do this, but when there is lots of folks lining the bank, that is hard to do.

Ripping is all the above, but with a decided yank of the line on the intake with the intent of force feeding or even snagging the fish rather than letting the fish take the offering.

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Years before that on the Kasilof, when you used to actually be able to use the whole river, we used to throw a "Little Jewel" spoon...
    I'm not sure why a person couldn't do this today if you timed it between the drift boats, or am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaBarbless View Post
    "Flipping and ripping" is an unethical technique used by alot of salmon fishermen on many salmon fisheries. This applies to spin fishing with lures, too. Snaggers will snag regardless of the terminal tackle they choose. Education is the key.

Lets be very clear. "Flipping and Ripping" is not fly-fishing. And, salmon DO strike a properly presented fly aggressively.

I fished a lower peninsula stream this weekend and did not see ANY snagging. The majority of fishermen were casting eggs/herring under a bobber. The few fly fishermen I saw were wet-fly swinging, egg patterns with no "ripping" or no setting of the fly on every drift. A properly presented fly will induce a king to strike aggressively. On the swing and even on the hang-down In fact, Kings will "rip" the fly (and fly rod) right out of your hands with a freight train take.

Folks are missing out, there's almost nothing better than fly-fishing proper for King salmon...
    Now this sounds great!! I want to find the streams where this is going on!!

Quote Originally Posted by 4merguide View Post
    Hold on a minute.... A long time ago I fished the Anchor on the opener. It was early morning and high tide. I looked down the bank and everybody was soakin' eggs and not catching a thing. You could see all kinds of kings in there thick. I put on a "T" spoon and tossed it out. A big 40lb. native king hit it like a ton of bricks on the first cast.

Years before that on the Kasilof, when you used to actually be able to use the whole river, we used to throw a "Little Jewel" spoon across the river and let it bounce on the bottom down towards the fast water. Kings used to pick them up like nobodies business.

Now, if I'm bank fishing, I fly fish for kings and it's a lot of fun. I'll "flip" a bead and some yarn but I don't rip.

The point is, I wasn't a snagger back then when I was tossing metal, and I'm not a snagger now if, and when I decide to "flip".

I understand what you are saying, but not everybody that fishes different than you falls into the same category that you think they do.
    Pretty sure he wasn't slagging spin fishermen, only saying that fly guys aren't the only rubes ripping.
    There are bad ones using all different manner of fishing gear.
    I myself bottom bounce beads for bows and dollys and don't rip.
    There are lots of centerpin fishemen that do the rip at the end of their drift too. At least back east.
    Hopefully the Alaskans haven't figured this out yet because it's super annoying to hear the loud pop of the float when some goober is trying to snag some unseen fish.

Quote Originally Posted by sayak View Post
    I'm not sure why a person couldn't do this today if you timed it between the drift boats, or am I missing something?
    No, you still could do this today, but that is what I meant........just too busy to do it unless you tried between 1-3am, or like you said, timed it between boats, or people on the bank. But we found that the best time was just as the sun was coming up so that little spoon could flash a little.
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Standard fare on the anchor for silvers from what I saw. You definitely had to beat those guys out there, they put the fish down pretty fast. Just plain doochebaggy.

There are two sides to every coin and I am not above stirring the pot occasionally. While in theory, I agree with most everything you guys are saying, it also appears that you are on your high horse a bit. On the assumption that folks are snagging salmon for the purpose of putting food on the table. Meaning, all fish snagged are being harvested for food, what is the big deal? I don't see anyone using less lethal methods for hunting deer they plan on eating.

While I enjoy angling, I also respect the fact that some folks enjoy eating fish more than the pursuit of catching them. When it comes to putting fish in the freezer, does a "flip and rip", dip net, spear, or #6 woolly bugger really matter? Kind of reminds me of the folks that link guns to mass murderers and such. Would they feel better if the guy had hacked everyone up with an axe rather than having used a handgun? Like I said, two sides to every coin.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    There are two sides to every coin and I am not above stirring the pot occasionally. While in theory, I agree with most everything you guys are saying, it also appears that you are on your high horse a bit. On the assumption that folks are snagging salmon for the purpose of putting food on the table. Meaning, all fish snagged are being harvested for food, what is the big deal? I don't see anyone using less lethal methods for hunting deer they plan on eating.

While I enjoy angling, I also respect the fact that some folks enjoy eating fish more than the pursuit of catching them. When it comes to putting fish in the freezer, does a "flip and rip", dip net, spear, or #6 woolly bugger really matter? Kind of reminds me of the folks that link guns to mass murderers and such. Would they feel better if the guy had hacked everyone up with an axe rather than having used a handgun? Like I said, two sides to every coin.

-Dan
    good point Dan, one flaw…….snagging is illegal pretty much every where up here. But other then that your right who cares how the fish is caught LEGALLY, as long as it doesn't go to waste.

Illegal? Can't be, I have seen it done all over the state.

Tell me this, why do tackle shops sell the big weighted treble hooks?

lol...

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by danattherock View Post
    Illegal? Can't be, I have seen it done all over the state.

Tell me this, why do tackle shops sell the big weighted treble hooks?

lol...

-Dan

Um eeerrr oh yeah they're anchors!!!!!!!!!
    And because every one and their grandma uses them in homer and seward…………and every place else they shouldn't be using them.

And now I'll tell you why you are wrong Dan :->
    The rippers are not selective, don't care what part of the fish's body they impale, and generally become "draggers" and "kickers" as well before they do it all again. Fish die before they get to anyones plate or freezer, just so the rippers can have their misbegotten sport (which I suspect is kind of like a game for them). I am sure there are some rippers who come down to the shore rip their limit, and go home to eat or freeze their catch, but I haven't met any yet.
    I am a meat only fisherman. I enjoy fishing, but being an old time Alaskan, the mission isn't the fishin', it's the dishin'. To see people treat beautiful fish like trash gets my goat every time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast