Thread: Kelp beds?

Default Kelp beds?

How do you find kelp beds ? Will they show up on the fish finder ? I plan on picking up a Lowrance structurescan I hope by fall to help me with the short amount of time I have to spend on the water every year
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Some kelp beds are marked on published charts others you will just have to locate on your own. Most kelp beds I fish around are in less then 50ft of water. I wish you the best of luck!

I found a few on this map. Nice Laminated map to have for quick reference and places to anchor. It has some places that the Cruising guide does not have

PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MGH55 View Post
    Some kelp beds are marked on published charts others you will just have to locate on your own. Most kelp beds I fish around are in less then 50ft of water. I wish you the best of luck!
    Yeah, there are quite a few marked on the NOAA charts, but around here it's pretty common knowledge where they are and all you have to do is ask. And you can mark kelp on your fishfinder, but you'll usually see it on the surface before you have a chance to see it on your finder.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com