Thread: Tikka T3, 30-06, 220gr Bullet Stabilization Question

Default Tikka T3, 30-06, 220gr Bullet Stabilization Question

After purchasing a Tikka T3 30-06, I read in my paperwork the rifle has a 1:11 twist BBL. The rifle shoots as advertised with 165 and 180 grain bullets. Has anyone tried 220gr factory or handloads in their T3? I didnt want buy bullets to handload for it if they dont stabilize.

I haven't tried the 220 gr bullets, but the 200 gr Partitions shoot very well in my Tikka. I believe bullet stabilization is primarily based on the length of the bullet, and most conventional round nose 220 gr bullets really aren't that much longer than a long boat tail 180 gr bullet. I would suspect your Tikka will shoot them fine. Might try just buying a cheap box of Remington factory 220's and trying them that way.

Yk

According to my bullet stability calculator, any bullet of less than 1.4" length with at least 2500 fps should be fine. If you go slower, you must go a little shorter to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by sawyc2 View Post
    After purchasing a Tikka T3 30-06, I read in my paperwork the rifle has a 1:11 twist BBL. The rifle shoots as advertised with 165 and 180 grain bullets. Has anyone tried 220gr factory or handloads in their T3? I didnt want buy bullets to handload for it if they dont stabilize.

with a 1:12" twist 20" barrel, I couldn't get 200 grain accubonds to stabilize (308 Winchester). A guy with a 22 inch barrel could though.

I then tried 200 grain nosler partition.....BAM! They stabilized

It's worth a try in your 30-06, it's never a bad thing to give heavy-for caliber bullets a try. I'd go 220 roundnosed though.

I have a Tikka in 308 Win, 1 in 11 twist, just like your 06. I loaded 220 grain Nosler partitions with H4350 and H414 powder, as per the Lee manual, and both loads stabilzed fine and were very accurate (less than 1 inch groups). Your 06 with higher velocity should be just fine with most 220 grain bullets. As Mainer said, the length of the bullet is what matters the most. A 180 grain Barnes is longer than the 220 partitions.

Regards,

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    with a 1:12" twist 20" barrel, I couldn't get 200 grain accubonds to stabilize (308 Winchester). A guy with a 22 inch barrel could though.

I then tried 200 grain nosler partition.....BAM! They stabilized

It's worth a try in your 30-06, it's never a bad thing to give heavy-for caliber bullets a try. I'd go 220 roundnosed though.
    According to the Data Base in "Load from a Disk", the Nosler PT is only .051 shorter than the Nosler AB.

The Nosler PT, 220, which is a LESS pointy bullet comes in between.
    200 NPT 1.332

220 NPT 1.367

200 NAB 1.383

It seems a little goes a long way, or doesn't, depending on how you look at it.

It's interesting, I think sometimes there are issues other than bullet length and velocity.

Like bearing surface and rifling.

I had a brief experience with two bullets that were spose to be the same length, (I didn't measure them) and the BT wouldn't stabilize, and the FB did much better, but still not good.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Here's the difference in length:

Nosler 200 grain Accubond:Bullet Length: 1.490"

Nosler 200 grain parition: Bullet Length: 1.350"

It ends up being .14" difference which was a bit more than 1/8". Yes, big difference in my carbine. The 200 grain Nosler Accubond eats up way too much space in the 308, but would be a superb bullet in the 30-06. If I owned the 30-06, I'd find no reason to load anything other than a 200-220 grain bullet! That's a lot of powder capacity and a lot of space to load tall bullets. You gain so much by going heavy-for caliber, at the sacrifice of a little bit of velocity.

Thanks folks, I got back from the range today but I have not got around to testing the 220gr bullets yet. I'll do that when I get back from work in a couple of weeks. Again thanks for the response!