Thread: Spotting scope

Default Spotting scope

Been looking at a few different options at spotting scopes. Hope maybe some could comment.

First is the leupold compact- heard it has a difficulty at long distances

Next Leupold Gold ring HD Heard it has a difficulty zooming and tracking moving game.

Not familar with any Nikon products any comments would be nice on them

P.S. Swaro although would be nice not an option way to poor.

Depending on what you're looking for- the Zeiss Dialyt is a pretty great scope for the dollars expended and engineered for hunting.

I've been using one for a bit and it's been great. Doug at Cameraland has demos come up now and again for under $1K.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've been using a Leupold Gold Ring 12x40x60 (non-HD) for over 10 years and have not experienced the issues you mention. It's a nice scope. The reason I haven't traded up to a Swazi yet is because this scope works well. Good luck.

I like my Pentax PF65 ED II pretty good for the money. If you can swing it then forum sponsor doug at Cameralandny.com has pretty decent demo's. An age old classic is the Nikon Spotter XL in one of it's many iterations. More recently Vortex has come on pretty good with their spotters.

A call to Doug with your budget will likely get you pointed in the right direction.

If you're on a LOW budget and want a decent spotter there is a Bushnell Elite 15-45x60 for sale in the Swap and Sell now for 275. Same type/quality as the Nikon XL mentioned above. Excellent value for what he's asking. If you can afford more like 5-700 look at the Pentax PF 65 ED scope.
    A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and donít have one, youíll probably never need one again

Check out Vortex's line of scopes. I own a rifle scope, a spotting scope and some Binos from their line and have been quite pleased with them. They also offer a "Unlimited Lifetime" warranty. They do very well in all sorts of weather and are fairly priced.

Sportsman sales them. Ask the guy at the counter to compare the different brands and see which one firs your needs and is comfortable and more importantly which meets your price range.

I own Leupold, Simmons, and Redfield scopes as well and all have done me well.
    Hate America??....then get the Hell Out!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    An age old classic is the Nikon Spotter XL in one of it's many iterations. More recently Vortex has come on pretty good with their spotters.
    What he said.
    I use a Leica televid now, but I used the XLII for years and killed plenty of rams with it. Saw one on ebay today for $200...
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post
    What he said.
    I use a Leica televid now, but I used the XLII for years and killed plenty of rams with it. Saw one on ebay today for $200...
    Forum sponsor Doug @ cameralandny.com has them with a tripod and 16-48x for $299. There is a link in the opto forum to their Nikon sale.

I recently upgraded to a Swarovski HD 65 (hopefully my last spotter purchase for a looonnnng time). Before this, I used a few different Nikon spotters. I really liked my Nikon Fieldscope. In my opinion, Nikon has some great products. Not quite as good as Swarovski, Zeiss, etc., but at a much lower price. You can probably find a good Nikon Fieldscope with a zoom eyepiece for a few hundred bucks. I got my hands on one a few years ago for something like $275 off of eBay.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    Depending on what you're looking for- the Zeiss Dialyt is a pretty great scope for the dollars expended and engineered for hunting.

I've been using one for a bit and it's been great. Doug at Cameraland has demos come up now and again for under $1K.
    Look at that, just a few sections below in "Optics"....Doug has one now for $900.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit