Thread: Gun for my girls

Default Gun for my girls

I'm looking at a rifle for my girls! I'm not sure on caliber yet maybe .243 or .270. What have you guys used for your kids thanks.

I cannot say enough good things about the 7mm-08 as a youth-friendly caliber. I've got two - a Remington Model 7 Youth for my wife (she's 5'0" and small framed), and a Remington Model 700 Youth for my nephews, niece, and eventually my boys. That round is an absolute pleasure to shoot. The two rifles we have come with recoil pads, but it's not really necessary - it doesn't feel like much more than shooting a .22. They also make reduced recoil rounds for them as well. My wife and nephew have both taken large caribou with theirs, and with 140 grain bullets I wouldn't hesitate to use this round for anything Alaska has to offer with the possible exception of brown bear.

If you'd like to try out one (or have your daughter try one), I'm always happy to meet at the range for a little shooting.

I have been extremely impressed with the cut down 308 that I put together for my son. With reduced loads it kicks little more than a 22lr.

I bought my girls a Remington Mod 700 Mt Rifle in .243 win and they love it and it shoots great. We use 100gr Nosler Partitions and they have made a one shot kill on a black bear and a one shot kill on a moose.

This is a question that comes up frequently. Girls are NOT boys. A .270 has too sharp a recoil. A .243 is better with lighter bullets. It will depend greatly on the age/size of your girls. One of my girls tried my FN-FAL, .308 semi-auto and heavy at 12 pounds loaded. She didn't like the recoil at all and she was 10 years old.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

243 is good as is the 6.8SPC if you reload. In reality a .223 would let her shoot A LOT for cheap.

I would have to agree with Brian.....same thing with my wife...got a savage 110 youth in 7mm-08...great gun for her and our kids. I have a .243 that I use for varmit hunting that isnt bad either so if they ever want to shoot it they can. But I would recommend the 7mm-08 first.

7mm-08 all the way ! although with today's selection of premium and monolithic bullets the 243 ain't what it used to be ..... nor the 257 Roberts for that matter (but I'll still take the 7mm-08 for what you are suggesting) if a reduced 308 is mild mannered just think what a 7/08 will be like !

So much depends on the shooter, the teacher, their mind set and experience. As we all know it is important for them to have fun shooting, hit the target early, and to not get beat up doing it. It is also important for the rifle to fit them. I think a 7mm-08 Rem. or similar cartridge would be a good one for most new shooters, as would the .260 Rem. or a loaded down .308 Win. The Rem. Mod. 7 is an appealing rifle due to it's size and weight. I really dislike the fact that the bolt cycles when it is on safe, a poor design in my opinion. I wish they offered it in 22" barrel in more non magnum calibers. I bought the .243 Mod. 7 Predator for my 10 year old Grand Daughter to use and some 80 grain Barnes X bullets. Lung shots on caribou should be fine with that bullet and caliber. I started my 2 daughters out with a 30-06 and 180 grain Barnes X bullets when they were about 14. They each shot moose, caribou and black bear.

I went with the 7mm-08 for my 10 y/o girl, she is a "girly girl". My older daughter has a 270. The -08 is a Marlin youth, i didnt like the slow twist rate of the savage. The 270 is a browning medallion.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    In reality a .223 would let her shoot A LOT for cheap.
    This is the direction I'm going. My daughter is a recoil pansy. I want her to have fun shooting. Already have a 6.8 AR for her to "hunt" with. Going to build up a short barreled .223 for her to "shoot". No kick and cheap ammo. If things work out then we will see about a bolt action for larger game.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

what about a 25-06?

Girls are NOT boys
    You are right... girls aged 10-12 are usually BIGGER than boys

My two girls started out on a .243 (oldest one, Ruger compact) and a 7-08 (youngest one, Remington SPS youth) The .243 was the better choice. She could shoot any factory ammo from the get go. The 7-08 factory ammo in 140 grain (all I could find) was too much for my younger daughter. We just handloaded some 120's and she was good to go.

Both girls far prefer to shoot my AR-15 (lightweight M4 style) and I don't think I'd have an issue with them shooting game up to a caribou with Barnes 70gr TSX bullets.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

My older daughter shot my 270 when she was 12. She did great. The recoil surprised her the first time because she had never shot anything bigger than a 22 before, but after that she was good....better than her older brother. I'd definitely consider a 270 for a kid.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    what about a 25-06?
    Recoil and report are too sharp, IMHO for youngsters. Best to keep the powder charge between 25-45 grains with a combnation of low pressure.

223, 243, 22-250, 30-30 6.5x55, 7x57, 260 and 7.08 with bullet weights below 140gr and keeping rifle weight under 7 pounds. This is what worked for my kids. They will tell you what is too much. Set up a leaning post and teach them to shoot standing up with targets starting at 25 yards. Make it easy and fun so they get the sense of accomplishment.
    Once they are reasonably proficent you can move the target out further but don't let them shoot from the sitting position until they have shot a hundred rounds or more in 8-10 sessions over 4-6 months because the recoil is much more when sitting adn the object is to keep their interest and keep it fun.
    Not everyone thrives on recoil.

Took my daughter to shoot her 7mm-08 yesterday. Handloads of 140g nosler partitions on top of 36g of IMR4895. Chrono said average velocity of 2440. She shot ten rounds with no problem. Recoil calculator says 9.34 ft/lbs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got her to kneel on a platform to raiser her up a bit so she could get behind the rifle better. This pic should give you an idea of how small she is shooting that 7mm-08.
    "...arms like laws discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe...Horrid mischief would ensue were the good deprived of the use of them." -Thomas Paine

I would think that with the cartridges recommended that someone would have commented on proper fitting the rifles to the persons. It there are going to be multiple users a spacer set up for lop and a good recoil pad would be as important as the cartridge.

Gus