Thread: Got some fresh water clams.

Default Got some fresh water clams.

Well, I only got today off, so I decided to make the best of it and go look for some clams after church, took eh canoe out to where me and my brother found a bunch last year. after about an hour I had 5 and that was all I wanted to take to of the small area (about 40 foot across and 100 foot long) Any body have any good clam recipes? I'm thinking I wanna deep fry them. I will try to get pictures, but I got my camera wet (the 3rd one in 2 years) so i don't know if you still can or not.
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

in 2 of them I found little light green specks in the out side of the meat. is this shell fish poisioning or is it still edible?
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

"shell fish" poisoning is from various types of micro organisms that secrete toxins. Spots on the flesh are either natural coloration or alge.

You need to let the clams set in clean water for a day so that they flush out their guts, or you will be eating that " stuff".

If you have already killed them then just eat the lips and main shell muscle.

Had a friend boil a couple up from the Deshka River last weekend, they were not good.
    BK

Had a friend boil a couple up from the Deshka River last weekend, they were not good.
    BK

If you must eat one and your afraid of being poison, eat a little peace and wait one hour and see if you feel ok. That what they recommend a person do when you eat a unknown mushroom.

I've heard freshwater shellfish aggregate toxins. I would be very careful...

When there was a red tide warning, I knew a friend that harvested some clams. I asked if he had read the warning. Did he worry about getting sick ? Naw, was his reply. I'll give my neighbor some of these then call him in a day or two. If he's still alive then I know they will be safe to eat. LOL

When u are soaking freshwater clams my mom told me to feed them cornmeal and it will get the muddy taste of there stomachs out. I have yet to try it but she claims they r delicious

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=70.250149,-148.525458