Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Leupold gone bad

Default Leupold gone bad

Been shooting leupold scopes for years and finally had to return one for waranity work. I was out of town this past week and when I got home Leupold had sent me a e-mail saying that my scope could not be repaired. They asked if I would like my new one in gloss or matt finish and they will put it in the mail. There may be some companies as good as Leupold but I don't think you will find any better.

That's awesome! They are a class act for sure. Glad to see they haven't changed

That's cool. Leupold is always my first choice when I go scope shopping.
    Now what ?

I've had the same experience with Leupold myself. They make a very good product and their CS is the best of any company of which I've had the pleasure with which to deal.
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

My dad bought a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7x33 scope used, decades ago. Not even top of the line. I had problems with it sighting in a few times and finally sent it in. New innards etc...free of charge. In my opinion worth more than the price by far. European optics are wondeful, but I will always be a Leupold loyalist (pronounced Loo-poled by the way in case anyone out there uses the common Lee-A-poled mispronunsciation).
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

I would have to agree, and give a big +1 for Leupold's. I have experienced the same situation and found out there customer service is second to none. I even recently found out I could get a reticle changed out for $60 which includes return shipping.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

The only other company I have seen that will do this is Swarovski, but for the price point, Leupold cannot be beat. I have really "used" mine over the years and it is still dead on every time!

They are the benchmark for CS. Glad to hear it worked out for ya.

Quote Originally Posted by RainGull
    I will always be a Leupold loyalist (pronounced Loo-poled by the way in case anyone out there uses the common Lee-A-poled mispronunsciation).
    Lots of irony here.

Leupold is a great company. I am working on my MBA, and currently taking a Marketing Promotions class in which we have to market an existing product for the class. I chose Leupold, and I am finding some really good things out about them. The only other company I know of that has a warranty like Leupold in the US is Vortex Optics. I own a Vortex scope, but my next one is Leupold.

I sent one in once. I had a VXIII mounted on an AR-10, about $500 worth of scope. The rifle fell off the shooting table at the range. It landed on a rock. More precisely, the entire rifle and scope combo, about twelve pounds, landed with the adjustment cover on the top of the scope hitting a point on a piece of rock.

I called Leupold. I told them what I did. I told them it was my fault. They said, "Send it in, we will take a look at it." I said, "Will you give me an estimate?" They said, "Yes."

I sent it in. They never gave me an estimate. They sent it back, fixed, no charge.

I called Leupold today and belive it or not a live person answered the phone. I told them that I would like my new scope in matt finish and they said they would get it back to me in a few days. Nice to deal with a company like them.

Leupold is "THE BEST" there is .... period - Vortex will need to be in business for "a while" to even be in the race for the best CS !!

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    Leupold is a great company. I am working on my MBA, and currently taking a Marketing Promotions class in which we have to market an existing product for the class. I chose Leupold, and I am finding some really good things out about them. The only other company I know of that has a warranty like Leupold in the US is Vortex Optics. I own a Vortex scope, but my next one is Leupold.
    Yes, Leupold is a quality optics seller, but... If you are doing your MBA oughtn't you consider how much their warranty policy actually costs the company? Do you think their warranty is actually much of the reason for their sales?

Leupold pricing is heavily weighted because of their warranty and customer service. Unlimited lifetime with no questions asked warranty costs real money. It ain't like their scopes don't break or need servicing; they do, just like the others.

At one time, Leupold actually manufactured their components. I understand that nowadays, they buy their components and even contract with Warne to make their rings and bases. Of course, many optics firms contract their lens-making jobs and there are far fewer in the finished lens and camera business than just a few years ago.

Compared to other scopesight firms, like NightForce and Zeiss which also offer optics shop refits and turret/reticle changeovers, Leupold prices its services at about 1/4 what the others charge. How much of that marketing advantage is priced into scope costs?

Lots of interesting perspectives on what Leupolds actual business model is.

There is one scope distributor in America whose parent co is in Romania. The USA operation has only 2 employees, 1 being the owner. Their business plan is scope replacement for warranty claim or a partial credit towards purchase of a new scope if they deem full replacement not appropriate. Evidently their model concluded it costs too much to have optical techs and service facility in the USA, but they still sell scopes....

Interesting subject to do investigation for credit on. Good luck with your studies.

Quote Originally Posted by Hudge View Post
    Yes, Leupold is a quality optics seller, but... If you are doing your MBA oughtn't you consider how much their warranty policy actually costs the company? Do you think their warranty is actually much of the reason for their sales?

Leupold pricing is heavily weighted because of their warranty and customer service. Unlimited lifetime with no questions asked warranty costs real money. It ain't like their scopes don't break or need servicing; they do, just like the others.

At one time, Leupold actually manufactured their components. I understand that nowadays, they buy their components and even contract with Warne to make their rings and bases. Of course, many optics firms contract their lens-making jobs and there are far fewer in the finished lens and camera business than just a few years ago.

Compared to other scopesight firms, like NightForce and Zeiss which also offer optics shop refits and turret/reticle changeovers, Leupold prices its services at about 1/4 what the others charge. How much of that marketing advantage is priced into scope costs?

Lots of interesting perspectives on what Leupolds actual business model is.

There is one scope distributor in America whose parent co is in Romania. The USA operation has only 2 employees, 1 being the owner. Their business plan is scope replacement for warranty claim or a partial credit towards purchase of a new scope if they deem full replacement not appropriate. Evidently their model concluded it costs too much to have optical techs and service facility in the USA, but they still sell scopes....

Interesting subject to do investigation for credit on. Good luck with your studies.

Yep, Leupold, good company, has been for me.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I had a Leupold 6X mounted on a custom rifle back in 1948. I still shoot that rifle, and the scope has been perfect throughout all those rough years, thirty-five of them in Alaska's tough environment and wet weather. Never a problem, and it has never fogged up.

Although I cannot give actual number stats I'll disagree that "Leupolds break just like the others" because that is an erroneous statement .... I know, personally, a 1/2 dozen longtime Leupold employees, one in service, who tells me that the larger portion of Leupolds of ANY age have nothing wrong with them, customers routinely send them in (or bring them in) when their rifle is out of service for any number of reasons - Take the tour at Leupold sometime and you may change your mind, VERY impressive - Warne does make SOME of their rings & bases but not all of them - Unlike Zeiss, Swarovski and others, Leupold pioneered the use of lightweight components (and found unrealized benefits in that practice) where the Europeans did it kicking in screaming in response to competition AND American "lightweight hunters" - Anyone may spend their money where they choose, I'll spend my scope money at Leupold because aside from being an AMERICAN company, the best warranty in the industry doesn't mean squat when you pull down on your winter's meat or the trophy of a lifetime and you can't see it or you miss due to scope failure -

My brother had an old Leupold that did not seem to work quite right. He sent it in.

They said they just cleaned it, but its the only scope I can shoot well right now (3/8 inch group at 50 yards so sub MOA if we had been able to the use the 100 yard range)

Now that was a thrill as it was my dads old 1903 Sporter we brought back to life (bad barrel).

Turns out my right lens is not correct the eye right and that gets fixed today, but the scope and the cleaning was all it took on a 30 year old scope to get me capable of that.

I needed a scope for another gun, did not justify a Leupol but wanted the best I could get, I bought a Redfield.

Leupold bought the rights out, same warranty, not as pretty or as precise but its fine for what I plan on doing (I checked it with my left good eye/lens, spot on sharp, just can't shoot left handed very well!)

I think my eyes are better with the courser cross hairs anyway and the Redfield is not fine line nor expected to be, adjustments are not the super slick Leupold and that's fine too.

Take your choice and budget, but you can get a terrific just hunting or casual target shooter with a Redfield, or get the full boat even better Leupold. Not often its such a sweet deal. Sadly they do not do pre-Leupold warranty on the Redfields.

I can say I can see a target at 50 yards using the Redfield with the 4x setting better than I can others with the 7x setting.

And not I am not an employee or anything. Family has had Redfield (my dads first scope) and Leupold for......

I don't care what the model is, too many companies have no customer service and and or an attitude. It makes me have some hope for what we can do and be.

Years ago I was looking for a spotting scope, shopping at the Sportsmans show and met the Leupold rep there. Told him my needs and explained I own a handful of rifle/pistol scopes all made by Leupold. He asked if ever had any problems with my current scopes....told him "no". He said "why are you shopping then?" So I bought the Leupold spotting scope right there.
    Couple years later I was not happy with the lens covers for the spotting scope and had tried Butler Creek, etc... (aftermarket stuff) but none of it really worked like I expected.
    Phoned Leupold and asked them to send me covers that fit properly, I would pay, no problem.
    Instead they sent me the sleek full scope cover that wraps the entire scope keeping both lenses clean and protected. They went above and beyond what I asked and didn't charge me a dime for any of it.
    They have earned my business and thats all I look through.
    Great company!
    BK

Kia and Hyundai had the best warranty going for years in the automotive market. Does that make them the best cars?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast