Thread: Canoe Jim Creek?

Default Canoe Jim Creek?

Does anyone know if there is way to float Jim Creek in a canoe? I assume with all those trails around there there must be a way to do it. Is there any place where you can drive a truck to the top? And if so does any one ever float it for silvers?

Follow Maud Rd to the First LK , then you have to find Jim Crk Its across LK all the LKs on Maude Rd flow into Jim Crk as I recall,
    used to take my Grumman Sport boat with a lift there all the time. Getting through the reeds is kinda of a maze but there are beaver trails for channels.

Or you could go to the second lake. That is Jim Lake. Paddle across and there is a short portage over to Jim Creek. Probably the easiest way to reach upper Jim Creek
    Wasilla Real Estate News
    www.valleymarket.com

We did this in Boy Scouts several times. As martyv and kk alaska said we'd start at the very very end of Maud Rd. Once you reach the pavement break and pass the creek just keep going and going until you get to the end, then you turn right and can follow a narrow path/road to the lake. The road really isn't that bad, you could do it in a 2 wheel drive car. Watch out for hunters and ATVs on the road. We would then cross the lake, meander down the creek and paddle all the way to the Knik/Old Glen bridge. That was 15 years ago so I don't recall exactly where the portage is but it's not that hard to find. I'd be weary of leaving your vehicle at the lake though. I used to live on Maud and I remember that was one place for blowing things up when left unattended. Hopefully that has changed.

Man I'd be real curious to hear about the fishing. That is something I've been wanting to try for a few years now. It would be pretty neat to paddle down to the fish instead of having to get back there from the infamous trail on the Knik side. Hmm, I think I just may have to do a practice run one of these weekends.

P.S. Back then it was a large group of us crusty kids. We'd camp at the lake and start in the morning. We'd be at the knik bridge by mid-afternoon but I'm sure you could do it faster without the goofing around and hijinks of 10-20 teenage boys. Those were good times! TROOP 361!!!

Thanks all for your input. I think I have been to those lakes before but it has been years. If anyone wants to float it for silvers when they start coming in in July, shoot me a PM. I am sure there are folks in there on airboats and ATVs, but you still might be able to get away from some of the crowds.

I think for your vehicle safety and peace of mind I would do a drop off and pick up lots of vandalism in years past don't know how it is now. Always was neat when it was open to non permit hunting to watch the sheep esp. last 2 or days of sheep season. You could see so more from out on the lake. It truly is a neat area and quite the view also a major waterfowl flyway.

When you put in at Jim Lake , veer slightly to the left of straight across. There is a very short portage (50 feet?) to Jim Creek. Go left and continue down river to the fork. Many people fish at the fork as there is a large hole there that holds silvers. Or take the left fork up to the next fork. There is a small hole on the right fork that leads into Swan Lake that sometimes holds silvers. The last 3 or 4 years fishing anywhere on Jim Creek has been poor compared to what it had been. You probably won't have a lot of company but if you hear an air boat coming get ready as the creek is narrow and they usually won't be on step good so they will be making a big wake. I haven't heard of any vandalism in recent years in the Jim Lake area. Maude Road is much more used than it was with a lot more traffic.

Took my 3 young kids with me on Sunday and paddled around the west end making a half circle to the other side of the lake almost directly accross from the put in. It's been 15+ years so I have absolutlely no visual memory of where the portage is supposed to be. I thought if I hugged the Jim creek side and keep going round I'd eventually find the trail but my poor planning meant that two kids had to "go" so I ended up paddling back to the other side in a hurry. Is the portage something that you can't miss once you're in front of it or is it hard to find? I never saw any sort of trail but I may not have gone far enough towards the glaicer to see it on the bank.

Also, if I portage over to the creek will I be able to paddle back or is the current strong enough that I'd have to continue to Knik? It's been so long I cannot remember.

What is the safest thing to do if an Airboat comes? I am the only one in the boat paddling so my first thought is to move over to the side. Do I want to remain parallel with the bank or change my direction some how to itercept the wake?

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    Took my 3 young kids with me on Sunday and paddled around the west end making a half circle to the other side of the lake almost directly accross from the put in. It's been 15+ years so I have absolutlely no visual memory of where the portage is supposed to be. I thought if I hugged the Jim creek side and keep going round I'd eventually find the trail but my poor planning meant that two kids had to "go" so I ended up paddling back to the other side in a hurry. Is the portage something that you can't miss once you're in front of it or is it hard to find? I never saw any sort of trail but I may not have gone far enough towards the glaicer to see it on the bank.
    Nevermind, found it, I had just turned before seeing it.

I like to pull to the side when I hear an air boat approach and then point the canoe into the wake. The water flow is fairly slow in Jim Creek.

Give it another couple weeks and I'd be more than happy to team up with another Canoe for a fishing trip like that? Two canoes, Two Vehicles? all that much easier and safer?

Quote Originally Posted by ePatrick View Post
    I never saw any sort of trail but I may not have gone far enough towards the glaicer to see it on the bank.
    ?

Both routes are pretty obvious on Google earth.

6133'1.86"N 14855'51.36"W for the portage from Jim Lake

and

6133'13.63"N 14857'20.10"W for the connection from the first lake.

just pay attention to the regs... some sections are closed waters.