Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 500's - BFR & S&W

Default 500's - BFR & S&W

Decided to post a couple of photos showing these revolvers together for comparison sake. The BFR is a 5.5 inch model (really 6 inches) 500 JRH. Fit and finish actually shocked me as to how well it was put together. Trigger pull is about 3.5 pounds without a hint of creep. Picked it up at grabagun for about $850 by the time shipping and transfer fee's were paid. It weighs 54 ounces.

The S&W is their 4 inch model. I removed the comp from the end of the barrel and replaced it with a solid piece of metal as I dislike any style of "muzzle brake". Have not shot it yet with the solid comp installed. Fit and finish is as good as any Smith I've owned and it weighs in at 57 ounces. For 3 more ounces you get DA and a cartridge with more power, although I don't think it is needed. Not sure what they cost nowadays but my records showed I paid $900 for it in 2004.

The second photo shows a 500 JRH case and a S&W 500 case for comparison purposes. Not here to say one is better than the other. Just wanted to show both side by side. My opinion of them both is if I were going to carry one for protection in Alaska it would be the S&W. But the BFR would be the one I would grab if I were handgun hunting. This is the first BFR I owned. For the money it seems like a better value (as far as fit and finish) than a Freedom Arms. Have not shot it yet but hope to soon.

Enjoy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm liking your BFR a lot. Can't say I'm rushing out to buy one, but it is causing an itch.........
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Can those awful looking rubber grips be replaced on a BFR? I love the idea of a BFR but cannot abide those rubber grips.

Thanks for the side by side comparisons of the guns and cartridges.

The pictures clearly show the massive size of the S&W cylinder yet the weight of the two guns is pretty close. The S&W frame is really to be apprciated - they kept the weight down by elimating sharp corners on the inside of the frame and other not so obvious improvements to the standard S&W frame design. I didn't appreciate all the changes until I compared my xframe to my N frame.
    Living the urban lifestyle so I can pay my way and for my family's needs, and support my country. And you?
    ".. ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country" JFK

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    Can those awful looking rubber grips be replaced on a BFR? I love the idea of a BFR but cannot abide those rubber grips.
    And here I thought it was just me . . . I'd rather see at the south side of a north bound yack up too close than those grips. The rest of the gun looks very nice and the BFRs are quite well made just with some homely (though I bet very functional) grips.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Evan,
    BFR will fit a set of black Micarta grips for $160. Mine is going to them via my dealer (to save shipping costs) this week. But I will not knock the rubber grips for hunting until I see how they handle the recoil. Afterall, on a hunting revolver one needs to grip even a slippery, wet handle. Time will tell which is a better choice.
    Randy

PS: As far as the weights go, I weighed both myself on my scale which is pretty accurate. However, the S&W has a 3 inch barrel compared to the BFR's 6 inch. This is measuring the barrels from end to end not counting the comp.

I had both a BFR (7.5") and an X frame (4"), both in .500 S&W. Great guns.

I agree the appearance of the factory BFR grips is perhaps underwhelming, but I shot mine first and really liked shooting that gun in that caliber with the factory grips. Very functional, I decided to not mess with it.

I let the BFR go to make room in my safe for another DA revolver. Still miss it. Enjoy those while you can.

The Micarta grips are also offered by the factory. Here are mine:

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Evan,
    BFR will fit a set of black Micarta grips for $160. Mine is going to them via my dealer (to save shipping costs) this week. But I will not knock the rubber grips for hunting until I see how they handle the recoil. Afterall, on a hunting revolver one needs to grip even a slippery, wet handle. Time will tell which is a better choice.
    Randy

PS: As far as the weights go, I weighed both myself on my scale which is pretty accurate. However, the S&W has a 3 inch barrel compared to the BFR's 6 inch. This is measuring the barrels from end to end not counting the comp.

Send the BFR to Jack Huntington for his grip modification and a set of custom grips to fit your hand is part of the package. You will be extremely pleased when you shoot it, I assure you

Quote Originally Posted by Whitworth View Post
    The Micarta grips are also offered by the factory. Here are mine:

Looks sharp with the wood on it, very good looking gun!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Where did you get the solid comp from? I want one!

I wonder if Magnum Research used the same bolt pattern as the Ruger Blackhawk for the grip frame? That would have been smart in my opinion, opening up all sorts of options for grip changes. Any body have one of each they care to try the swap on? If I could put a Ruger Bisley grip frame on a BFR, I could start to get pretty serious about one in .500 JRH.

Quote Originally Posted by evandailey View Post
    I wonder if Magnum Research used the same bolt pattern as the Ruger Blackhawk for the grip frame? That would have been smart in my opinion, opening up all sorts of options for grip changes. Any body have one of each they care to try the swap on? If I could put a Ruger Bisley grip frame on a BFR, I could start to get pretty serious about one in .500 JRH.
    The original D-Max framed BFRs used the same grip frame, so a Bisley swap was easy. Putting a Bisley grip frame on a BFR now requires a lot of surgery. That said, you can have Jack Huntington (JRH) perform his grip frame mods to it and it becomes somewhat like a Bisley, but with even more space between yuour knuckles and the trigger guard. He perfoms these mods to Ruger plow handles, as well as the BFR grip frame. Here is a photo of an unmodified BFR grip frame, and a photo afterwards. The whole thing only costs $300.00 and it includes custom grips made for your hand in wood or Micarta.

And here is one of a Ruger modified in the same manner with Walnut grips, belonging to a friend. The caliber is .500 JRH.

Quote Originally Posted by Best_Shot View Post
    Where did you get the solid comp from? I want one!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?t=141723

Best-Shot: Snowwolfe's link is to the same person as freedom475 on the "Merits of the 500 S&W" page 7. I bought one of his "hold pluggers". It fits just fine on my gun. The finish has more shine and some of the edges seem more rounded than factory. I'm happy with mine. Nice guy to deal with.

Out of curiousity, how long is the BFR cylinder?
    Steve

Quote Originally Posted by S.B. View Post
    Out of curiousity, how long is the BFR cylinder?
    Steve
    Approximately 1.85 inches

Forget all the expensive grip changes. Shoot the BFR as it came. There is not a single grip picture shown that will make you shoot better. I can make wood grips to blow your eyes out but they will not be better then the rubber grips unless you are going to sleep with your gun or drool over the grips.
    Don't fall into the money trap.
    Your BFR out of box can do less then 1" at 100 yards. Ask the fancy grip guys to show what they get. Some will flash grips at animals before they shoot but my grips are under my hands. I get warm and fuzzy when I hit what I shoot at, not because I have $300 more hidden under my hands.
    Save the expensive junk for wall hangers or to brag.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    Forget all the expensive grip changes. Shoot the BFR as it came. There is not a single grip picture shown that will make you shoot better. I can make wood grips to blow your eyes out but they will not be better then the rubber grips unless you are going to sleep with your gun or drool over the grips.
    Your BFR out of box can do less then 1" at 100 yards. Ask the fancy grip guys to show what they get. Some will flash grips at animals before they shoot but my grips are under my hands. I get warm and fuzzy when I hit what I shoot at, not because I have $300 more hidden under my hands.
    You seem to forget the fact that many don't care for the BFR grip frame in the same way you don't care for the Bisley grip frame (do you see the correlation here?). An inexpensive fix is a well spent $300.00 with Jack Huntington. And in the realm of custom gun work, $300.00 is inexpensive -- stop looking at world through the eyes of social security. Many folks don't like the way those rubber grips look.

Even you yourself must concede the fact that a person will shoot better when the grip fits their hand better and more comfortably.

Quote Originally Posted by bfrshooter View Post
    I don't doubt your experience. But in my profession how an object looks is every bit as important as how it functions. Same goes for my guns. And I can tell you from looking at them that BFR grip will not fit my hand well therefore I would not shoot better with it than I would with another, hopefully more attractive grip.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast