Thread: 1st Black Bear

Default 1st Black Bear

First Black Bear last week! Glassed him from quite adistance and a buddy and I made our way over toward him with a small hill for cover.We got to the ridge and on our bellies crept up to see if he was still there.We were excited and surprised to find he had moved to only about 25 feet fromour position. I had some bushes and a small spruce for cover. I situated the rifle in between the lower branchesof the spruce and had my cross hairs right on him. His body was facing directlyat my position and when he lowered his head I took the shot right into the top/rearof his skull. He dropped like a rock and was dead within seconds. My buddy (alsoa Black Bear rookie) and I were extremely excited that on day two of a 3 dayhunt we were taking one home. We raninto bad weather the third day and didnít see a thing so he didnít get one butwas still excited about a great trip. Saw 3 bears in 3 days and took one home,already looking forward to next year so we can get him one. Alaska is truly thelast frontier!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Congrats! Sounds like a great stalk and clean kill. Nice job. I had black bear sausage breakfast burritos this morning, delicious and reminded me of my hunts. I hope you enjoy yours as well. Now, you have to go back out to help your partner get his!

Nice bear. So def a boar huh?

For a first bear I think I would have tried to postion him for a little bit better for photos.

Thanks for sharing.

Seinerman, Iím having some breakfast and summer sausage made at MikeísMeat in Eagle River. Looking forward to it.

Bnkwnto, Spent a little while taking pics in several different positions, I just liked this one. I'm already catching some flak from some freinds about it... Next up, Salmon and Caribou