Thread: Rl 17 & 375

Default Rl 17 & 375

I am looking for some guidance regarding RL 17 and loads for 375 H&H - esp. improved versions. I would appreciate either personal experience, recommendations and especially published data. To date I have been able to find only very limited information. Thanx
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

I have not tried RL 17 out of my 375, but I had great results out of my 358 Norma. At the time I couldn't find data, it is very similiar to IMR 4350 so I took data for IMR 4350 reduced it and worked up from there. I found it to be very accurate and it gave good velocity. The load I settled on put 3 bullets touching with a 225 Accubond at 2925 fps. I was satisfied.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

That is sort of my plan - just trying not to reinvent the wheel. Thanx

I haven't tried it in that cartridge but I've loaded in in several using conservative 4350 data, seat of the pants I know, but it has worked well. If you have a Chronograph you can work up safe loads. I have not been able to use that powder with any pressure equipment but will soon I think.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

I do have an oehler and am rather obsessive about using it, esp. when working up new loads or preparing data for long range shooting possibilities for particular upcoming hunting scenarios. Thanx for the recommendations. I have planned on using standard loading manual recommendations for 4350 - would you recommend H4350 or IMR4350 data?

I don't think it matters. the change places on the burn chart from time to time but IMR is slightly faster, about 1 to 2 grains different with 70 grain charge.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Please post your results once you settle on a load for your rifle.
    NRA Life Member since 1974

I have used Rl-17 in the 375 Ruger under a 300gr TSX with great results.

I started with the minimum published data based on H4350 from Hodgdon's web site. I worked up in traditional fashion and documented each gain in velocity compared to gain in charge. It worked out that my most efficient charge, (charge resulting in most velocity per tenth of charge) netted 68fps faster than H-4350 with outstanding consistency, accuracy and case fill.

I have been wanting to work up a load in the H&H but haven't had the time or the donor rifle to play with. Good luck with your project.

Never got to RL 17 as I was able to find a good 5 shot sub-MOA load with H4350 at a middle of the road vel of 2750 fps which produced clean one shot kills for me. Surprisingly the 270 gr TSX's barely opened despite 30 yd. range ... but dead is dead and I am not complaining. I still hope to find time to work up some loads for RL17.

I really like R17 and use it for pet loads for several rifles with amazing velocity and accuracy. However, at least with my Sako Kodiak 375H&H I just could not get it to perform better than R15. I also killed a bear on Kodiak and several deer using 300 Grain TSXs, they killed, but left very small wounds, while the same 300 grain Accubond inflicted huge wound channels.

"I refuse to let the things I can't do stop me from doing the things I can"
    Founding Member
    http://www.residenthuntersofalaska.org/

I reload for 06' and 375 hh. In the 06' I only use RL17, as it is stellar on velocity and accuracy, and doesn't show the pressure problems with other powders...
    I tried it on the 375 hh, and never could get the accuracy and velocity (without pressure) that RL 15 gives... shooting the 270g barnes TSX, I can load from 70 grains up to 74 grains of RL15, and they are all very small patterns... just differing velocities... never could get any variation of the RL17 to do that good.