Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Blood Dog Needed

Default Blood Dog Needed

I am looking for a blood dog so that I can track a brown bear I shot in the bird creek area. It has been about 36 hours since it was shot, good blood trail but starting to get harder to find, it is going downhill. Please if you have any information that might help let me know. Thank you

wish you luck here with this, and out in the field collecting your harvest

Sounds like you need a good bloodhound. Hope you get lucky here....
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

develms,

Try this group. They routinely help out with wounded game search on JBER when their service is needed.

http://www.akgamesearch.org/

Thank you, I have actually contacted the gentleman serveral times, I am still unsure if he is going to come and help me.

Actually the gentleman will not come out and help.

how long can you track the blood trail? not knowing any details, i'd say run the trail and see if theres any pattern to the direction he's headed...and then just keep on that direction as long as you can and see if you can find any new developments.
    where do you think you hit the bear? downhill is often times a good sign.
    if you can't get a blood dog, you might be better off with just about any dog in there with you , might flush the bear and if he's not a stupid dog it might figure out what your trailing....?
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Any other sign? Bloody sputum or stool? You're rolling up on 48 hrs.... he's likely stiffened up as much as he's gonna or is long, long gone. Absent a tracking dog, I'd put some smart breed out there with you- they tend to be curious and find deceased critters naturally. Best of luck, that's thick country the best I remember.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Dude, technically we were out scouting the area with my kids for bait. I was kinda of peeved to say the least.The sign at bird creek notifying of a wounded bear in the area was blown over. We finally found it and read it and had to decide to cancel our hike. We hiked towards Girdwood but were nervous the entire time because of the wounded bear notice. The first thing I thought of was some so and so was hunting with a .30 or less and wounded a bear. mind if I ask what you shot him with? Some tips are if he headed downhill he may be dead somewhere close. If he headed uphill, he's long gone....
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Dude, technically we were out scouting the area with my kids for bait. I was kinda of peeved to say the least.The sign at bird creek notifying of a wounded bear in the area was blown over. We finally found it and read it and had to decide to cancel our hike. We hiked towards Girdwood but were nervous the entire time because of the wounded bear notice. The first thing I thought of was some so and so was hunting with a .30 or less and wounded a bear. mind if I ask what you shot him with? Some tips are if he headed downhill he may be dead somewhere close. If he headed uphill, he's long gone....
    Could you notfify the forum whenever you're planning a hike so we can suspend all hunting activities in your location?
    "When the time comes for a man to look his Maker in the eye, where better could the meeting be held than in the wilderness?"

Watch for ravens and eagles if he is going to stay down they will be there.Good luck glad you are looking.Walk twenty or thirty feet or so off the trail look for backtrack.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Sollybug View Post
    Sollybug I thought cabin fever was over now that the sun is out, the temps have come up a bit, and the snow has melted off?

I understand you were apprehensive about taking your kids into an area that has a known wounded brown bear in it but I seriously doubt that develms went out with the intent on wounding an animal and leaving it there to die or recover on its own. I try to give people the benefit of doubt on here since not everyone is a Hunting author and or has the time (especially when there is wounded game about that they are trying to locate) to sit behind a keyboard and type up a detailed report of their hunt and the actions they took during it to satisfy all of us keyboard commandos.

Hope you and your kids have a great baiting season and get in on some bears!

Well if there is an area that needs some bears thinned out that is one. In the Fall the black bears are thick in there. But its like the hillside moose hunt, there are so many people that you shoot something you need to kill it cause of all the traffic in the area. At least he notified people of the wounded bear.

I gotta say though, I get sick of guys writing on here about how small of a gun you can get away with for hunting brownies. Either in the Chugach or in Kodiak tracking wounded bears is risky business and you gotta maximize your chances of a clean kill. Thats my soapbox..
    I come home with an honestly earned feeling that something good has taken place. It makes no difference whether I got anything, it has to do with how the day was spent. Fred Bear

good luck man. obviously dont give up. hopefully your sick to death about it, i've lost them before and still have problems with the incidents and blame myself for not controlling the situation better. bottom line: its your responsiblity to the bear and anyone that might bump into him to make every possible efforts to recover. most importantly i personally hope you can analyze the situation and pick out the mistakes made...then never duplicate them. good luck, and be carefull.

Quote Originally Posted by develms View Post
    Actually the gentleman will not come out and help.
    Why won't he help you?
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

As an update to this dialogue about the wounded brown bear in the Bird Ridge area, we worked the area pretty thoroughly yesterday with a well-experienced blood tracking dog and came to the conclusion that the bear is probably viable and recovering from his multiple wounds, as they often will. He had covered a lot of ground over a rugged slope at a decent pace over about 48 hours.
    He was headed generally downhill over considerable distance, which is a sign that he is hurt. The track signs also indicated that he is favoring (or not using) one rear leg, but there is no sign of his being gut shot or having any lung involvement.
    This blood tracking dog is especially trained to follow only blood, even small occasional drops or smears, and to abandon a track when there is only natural live scent with no blood. He proven to be real effective at doing that on over 100 moose and bear tracking situations over the past several years. This bear appeared to have stopped bleeding except for the occasional wound bed or light smears on patches of snow, meaning he has clotted up completely, as they often do. There also is no issue with the age of the track. This dog has successfully followed plenty of tracks that were several days old, with a couple that were several weeks old, even when it has trained or snowed on the track.
    This hunter was doing everything right. There are no issues at all with his choice of weapon, experience or hunting skills and there is no evidence of any "mistakes" on his part. Putting a few grains of lead into a half million grains of brown bear is never a slam dunk, even with the best shot placement. He has kept AK F&G in the loop (they're posting the signs), and he has been working exhaustively all day every day to find the animal.
    The purpose of a blood tracking dog is to locate a downed animal to help the hunter avoid wasting game. We do this as a service and with no compensation. In Alaska, it isn't legal to assist, or even to appear to be assisting, in hunting an animal that is viable, even if it is wounded. That's a tough call to make when an animal like this is clearly hurt badly and when we all know it will be a serious threat in the area, since angry, injured bears are prone to ambushing animals and people that get too close. The best solution would be to find the animal and apply some anger management, but being found is the last thing this individual bear wants to happen. None of us ever want to abandon a search when we're not absolutely certain of the animal's condition, but there is a point where it is prudent, despite the honest sense of disappointment at being unable to harvest an animal we've shot.

Thanks AKGameSearch!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Thanks for coming on here and explaining what you do, how the dog works, and the particulars of this situation. Hats off to you for providing such a great service.

How big was the bear?

edited to add what bullets were used as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Thanks for coming on here and explaining what you do, how the dog works, and the particulars of this situation. Hats off to you for providing such a great service.
    definitey....i agree.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast