Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Factory ammo

Default Factory ammo

I have a 30-06 and I am trying to figure out what type of ammo to use. The main purpose this gun will have is caribou, sheep, black bear over bait, and possibly moose. The gun loves to shoot winchester super x 180gr but Im looking for a good hunting round for it. I have used Hornady SST 180 in it but didnt group well not sure if it was a bad batch or what. I don't have a reloader so I am limited to factory ammo. Any Suggestions?

In the .30-06 a good 180gr or 165gr bullet is hard to beat. At '06 velocities, most common bullets will perform fine. The Winchester SuperX is fine as is the Remington CorLokt. No need for spendy bullets in that one.

If you just want to though, Federal or Nosler TG ammo loaded with the Accubond bullet performs very well in my rifles and on game.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

Federal loads up Barnes and Nosler bullets that are hard to beat....http://www.federalpremium.com/products/rifle.aspx
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

I agree that your '06 with those super X will kill all animals listed perfectly. I do also prefer the Accubonds though as they hold together better, penetrate deeper and I don't find nearly as many lead and copper pieces in the meat. Honestly all I remember seeing as a kid was the green and yellow Rem Core-Lokt boxes in my uncles ammo can and he ate moose meat pretty much every year.

I shoot nothing but core-lokt bullets out of my 30-06 and I've never been disappointed with the results. I generally go with the 150 grain, but I'll toss in a box of 180 or 210 bullets if grizzlies might be an option.

I like rem corelokt 180 gr psp, they shot well out of my husquvarna and a recently purchased 721 remington

I mainly use the Remington Cor-lockts or Nosler BT's out of the majority of my rifles. This is my first year to hunt in AK, but I would imagine that all the ones mentioned above are great. When I lived in MT and hunted elk, bear, and mule deer, I used Nosler Partitions quite often.

Lots of choices with factory ammo these days. Problem is, a guy could spend a lot of money finding a quality bullet that groups well in his gun.
    I'd be tempted to stick with the Winchester. Might try a 165 gr for a flatter shooting bullet if you do a sheep hunt.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

If your rifle likes the Winchester I would stick with it. You may want to try the Winchester Accubond CT or the XP3 bullets if you feel you need better performance. The Winchester premium lines shoot the best from my 338wm.

Good luck!
    John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

I was looking at core lokts and Super X and found they make a 125gr would that be better for sheep than a heavier bullet so it will be flatter shooting? Assuming it groups as well as the 180s do.

Quote Originally Posted by barber8605 View Post
    I was looking at core lokts and Super X and found they make a 125gr would that be better for sheep than a heavier bullet so it will be flatter shooting? Assuming it groups as well as the 180s do.
    For flat shooting the 165s probably do the best. The 125s start fast but don't retain it over the longer haul.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

I've been playing with various factory loads for a few months now...Federal Premium 165NP's, Federal Premium 180NP's, 150 Core-Loks, 150 Barnes TTSX's, and what I settled on Federal Premium 180 Trophy Bonded Tip High Energy. Accuracy wise the 180NP's are probably a little tighter than the High Energy...not enough to make a difference out to 400 yards. Why I settled on the H.E. is performance...they come out of the bbl @ 2880 vs. 2700fps, which puts them at 3315ft/lb at the muzzle. They perform closer to a 300win than an -06. I order from Midway as Cabelas doesn't stock. MPN is P3006TT4. Federal has discontinued the High Energy 180NP's.

Here's an interesting read on high-end vs. std factory ammo http://www.gun-tests.com/performance/jul96price.html

Note the author also has an exception to the above article...

The Exception To The Rule
    Though in most cases we donít think Light Magnum and High Energy ammunitions
    are good buys, there is one exception where they might play a role in the
    coming big-game hunting seasons. If youíre a deer hunter who was going to hunt
    elk this fall, but you donít want to move up to a .300 Winchester Magnum, they
    should be given consideration. In particular, either of the High Energy .30-06
    loads shooting the Trophy Bonded Bear Claw or Nosler Partition bullets will give
    you a tiny edge over factory fodder in kinetic-energy transfer and penetration. But
    with tough game animals like elk, there is no such thing as too much power.
    Of course, the rounds must shoot accurately in your rifle, or the extra pop is
    useless.

The article from gutpile parallels my experience. I reload as well as use many different brands of factory ammo. There have been slight differences, but in my experience not enough to warrant high performance components. A well placed shot from a well tuned rifle are still the most critical elements to a succesful hunt. That said, I typically use a premium factory load just for my own ease of mind. Still reload, but for the fun of it. Use what shoots well in your '06 and spend your time at the range. Another thought; if you ever get separated from your ammo, most villages and small towns are likely to have limited choices of factory ammo. Chances of finding the high performance loads are slim. Just my two cents.

I've never heard any say bad things about the Federal Premium Nosler Partition loads in any caliber...

Once I get back stateside I think im gonna try 150,165,180, and 220 in core lokts and super x to see what performs best hopefully some 150s and 220s will do well out of my gun if not ill just stick with the 180s.

I know, older post. Just thought I would throw this out there; I have seen more more core lokt failures than any other bullet.

Two personal experiences,
    I used to regularly carry a .257 Roberts for elk, buddy of mine loaded with core lokts in his .264. He hit his bull elk 7(!!!!) times. In the heat of the moment and the bull still runnig and frustration in hand I handed him my gun and with one shot dropped liked a sack of ****. I was using seirra game kings. After investigation, everyone of his bullets hit bone on the way in, NONE made it past. The .257 ripped through his shoulder and ended up buried in the far shoulder bone.

Second;
    Another buddy that swore by core lokt was packing a 300 win mag elk hunting. Plenty right! He fired once, twice, a third time at a bull elk. ONLY the third shot made it past bone for a fatel wound.

Been shooting rem. cor-lokt bullets in my 06 for over 30 years. I like the 180 grain but use the 220 too. Taken lots of game up here with those bullets and would never change. Why change what works. They are easy to find and good ammo.

I also used cor-lokt for years no complaints. I reload now, and would not hessitate to use them, I just bought to 2 boxes of cor-lokt for my new 375 H&H, while assembeling the components to reload. They can be used with confidence.

i've been using the winchester ammo in my .300wm for a while now and it does fine on all the animals you've described. i wouldn't change it if it groups well.

180-220 cor-lokt for me
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast