Thread: Charter dilema

Default Charter dilema

I will be up the last two weeks of July. I am looking for a Ling,Halibut , Rockfish charter. Here is the problem. I have buddies with boats so we can get plenty of halibut but the boats are not really big enough to go out where the big dogs bark so i want to take one of my buddies on a charter. Here is the problem i am afraid if i book a charter and the weather is rough then we are just going to go out to where we would fish anyway with our boat. We could care less about getting beat up on a charter with weather but some days you just cant go out there due to the wind so its not a matter of being tough. I wonder what the chances of there being a few walk on openings during that time frame? Any advice?

look into Mike Manns out of Homer, he does a 3 species combo.

I hear you about Mike! the problem is i am going to have to do it as a walk on if possible as i dont want to book ahead and if the weather is bad i wind up on a close in trip that we can do in our boat.

How big of boats do your buddies have? You can just watch the weather close and pick a day where you can cover some water to get out where you can catch all 3 species. IMO with a smaller boat, Whittier is the best option for all 3 species because you can get into protected water much easier than Homer or Seward.
    Responsible Conservation > Political Allocation

Boy, I think you would be extremely lucky to get a walk on charter with any of the better known operators in July.

I'd give you the Homer Chamber's website that has an availability calendar on it for charters but we're going live with a brand new website this week and I don't have a correct URL to send along to you.

Email me in a week and I'll forward it to you. The Chamber also posts a list of available charters on the office's front door the night before you want to go out. You can try that too.

Quote Originally Posted by kgpcr View Post
    I will be up the last two weeks of July. I am looking for a Ling,Halibut , Rockfish charter. Here is the problem. I have buddies with boats so we can get plenty of halibut but the boats are not really big enough to go out where the big dogs bark so i want to take one of my buddies on a charter. Here is the problem i am afraid if i book a charter and the weather is rough then we are just going to go out to where we would fish anyway with our boat. We could care less about getting beat up on a charter with weather but some days you just cant go out there due to the wind so its not a matter of being tough. I wonder what the chances of there being a few walk on openings during that time frame? Any advice?
    A couple of questions come to my mind. How many people do you have? You say a "few" openings, so I assume it's 3 or 4. If that's the case I have to agree with Cliffhanger that you're going to have to be really lucky to find any charter operator that isn't totally booked for almost all of July. So your betting that someone is going to have a last minute cancellation which doesn't happen very often.

Hoose35's questions about the size of the boat you have at your disposal is a valid one. So it kind of depends on what you consider "not really big enough" to get you out there.
    Year round saltwater fishing adventures in Homer, AK.
    http://muttleycrewfishing.com

If you a get plenty of fish with froends why go on a charter for "the big dogs". Leave the big breeding femals alone and load up the other fishes. A pretty significant problem with the halibut polulation is that people want big fish for some photo op. These fish are
    the source of the stock. Toss the big fish back if you are able to fill the freezed with smaller fish.

i dont care about big halibut i am looking for some good lings.

Silver Fox or Big Bear or Manns charters. Wish you the best of luck and good fishing!!

Charterboat Operator

i dont care about big halibut i am looking for some good lings.
    Richard Baltzer!! F/V Obsession. Fish Homer Charters!! Get huge ling cod and all the rock fish you want!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Col. F Rodder View Post
    look into Mike Manns out of Homer, he does a 3 species combo.

+1. His charter seemed to be a little more money compared to others but he comes highly recommended. There are still seats open on the charter I booked with him months ago. You may want to call and talk to them. They held a seat for me for 2 weeks while my friend from the lower 48 finalized his flight plans. Great people to work with.
    Makin fur fins and feathers fly.