Thread: How To Mend a 6 Inch Salmon Gill Net?

Default How To Mend a 6 Inch Salmon Gill Net?

I'm currently getting ready for the commercial fishing season here on the Yukon and I was wondering if anyone could get me a step-by-step detailed description of how to mend a salmon gill net? One of our nets is pretty beat up and I'd rather mend it myself than pay someone else to. I'm pretty good at following directions if someone can give me a detailed account of what to do. I would really appreciate it if someone would take the time to break it down for me. Thanks in advance to anyone who gives constructive imput!
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

on our dip nets we use braided line close to the size of your net line thickness and basically tie a simple knot every 9 inches or so.

Take 2 cords, measure 9 inches, do a simple over hand knot or what ever its called and then get 2 more strands, measure 9 inches, and do an over hand knot, so on and so forth, then after that you take the left strand from your pirst piece, and the right strand from your 2nd piece and measure 9 inches and tie a knot, and continue adding strands till ya get the size patch you need
    Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Eccleasties 8:11 Because the sentence against an evil deed is not executed quickly, There for the hearts of the sons of men among them are given fully to do evil.

Awesome! Thanks so much that is exactly what I needed- way simpler than all the villagers who make me pay them make it out to be. lol
    Lone Alaskan Gypsy
    Lover of arctic fox and northern lights.
    Reader of arctic runes. Alaskan storyteller. Handcrafted trinket trader. Grower of organic plants.
    Find me online at www.lonealaskangypsy.com and at fairs, markets, and festivals around AK.

It's not that simple. I have worked on trawls, seines, and gill nets, if you don't hang the net right it won't fish. It will cost you money if its hung wrong. A gill net and dip net are two different things. It's not outside of anyone's ability, but it would be worth the extra money now to watch someone/ help them hang your net. You need needles, hanging twine, breast line twine, net mending twine, and a bail of patch web panel material. You have to be able to count mesh's and don't hang your corks and leads one for one. Maybe try YouTube or pay someone this year to help you do it right if you are doing this for profit. Seriously seen people loose money trying to save money.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk 2
    Piscor Ergo Sum

Franken is right. Mending gill net is completely different from the knots and patterns used for other nets. It's not terribly difficult (I don't think so anyway), and you could probably pick it up in a short time, but it really requires hands-on to learn it, I think. Depending on how torn up your net is (if the damage is limited to the mesh only, and the net doesn't need to be re-hung), you can likely get away with just a shuttle or two, and a spool of mending twine. Find someone willing to show you how to mend (even if you have to pay him/her), and you'll be off and running. There's good money to be made doing it some places too, if you're good at it.
    ...he who knows nothing is nearer to truth than he whose mind is filled with falsehoods & errors. ~Thomas Jefferson
    I would rather have a mind opened by wonder than one closed by belief. ~Gerry Spence
    The last thing Alaska needs is another bigot. ~member Catch It
    #Resist

Wasilla, behind 3 Bears on the Palmer Wasilla Hwy

Since its dip netting season again I'll resurrect this thread with the info I found that shows the knots used to repair nets. http://cfcc.edu/faculty/mvmiller/cou...r%20Manual.pdf