Thread: Remington Mod. 710

Default Remington Mod. 710

Hello,
    A buddy of mine is looking for a cheap hunting rifle (30-06) for use this spring and was looking at a Remington 710. Are these reliable? Useable?

Thanks for any info y'all have,

Jon

A big thumbs down.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

It's a perfect rifle for someone who shoots once or twice a year.

Thumbs down

Remington should be ashamed to put their name on that rifle....

My opinion...don't hate me 710 fans....
    "The rich... who are content to buy what they have not the skill to get by their own excellence, these are the real enemies of game".... Theodore Roosevelt's A Principle of the Hunt

I know some people look down on the practice but 30-06s should be plentiful on the used rack. Cheaper you go the more of a crap shoot it may turn out to be. I would think you could get into a good gun for $300-$400. Another good way to keep prices down is to get a fixed power scope. Less complicated. For a couple hundred bucks you can get a scope that will really take a beating.

Cool 710

I own a 710 and they are not "high" quality, BUT they are very servicable rifles. Magazine fed, adjustable trigger, decent R3 recoil pads, button rifled barrel (no "long" break-in period).....the scope that comes with them sucks. One big drawback is the bolt rides on nylon guide rails in the receiver...not the smoothest (I worked it out with some sanding).
    I took one on my first trip to alaska...dropped a nice caribou at 389 laser measured yds on the Wulik river Sept '05. We were there the same time the Squirrel river flooded out all the hunters, and the parkerized finish held up well to the rain.

Default It fits the CHEAP requirement....

but I'd recommend shopping for a good used .06, a used Remington, Winchester, Savage, or Ruger might cost about the same and is better quality.

Michael

Remington has already stopped making that model as the 710 and they are trying to save face with updating it under the name Model 770...

The 710s have been going from $275 as a package to $375.

You can get a low end 700 Remington for around $500 to $575new.
    Occasionally a Ruger M-77MKII for around $475 to $550.
    They were selling Mossberg ATR 100s as a package deal here for around $350 to $400. They seem to be better made than that crappy 710.
    The newer Savage rifles are very accurate and cost about the same as the Rugers.

You can find the occasional Weatherby Vanguard for around $400
    and there are a few Parker Hale Mausers on the used market that are within your price range.
    I also saw a couple used M-700 remingtons for a good price as well as a couople post 64 model 70 Wincehster push feeds.
    BTW, a Parker Hale Mauser, A real M-700, M-70 or old military Mauser will operate 100 years from now, just like it does today.
    The riddle of real steel was known to more people than Conan thought.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

The Vanguard/Howa is the way to go for a cheap NEW gun. Most everyone doesn't realise what these guns are.

Just don't get a "detachable magazine" RIGHT GUYS!!!! Wish I had asked the question before I bought mine did not realize it was a mistake. Float pilot has some real good expertice, use it...Desertdog