Thread: One of the African's favorite rifles.

Default One of the African's favorite rifles.

I just returned from Africa to hunt East Cape Eland... Got a dandy too. While I was there my PH was telling me that the 270 Win was a favorite rifle of many of his fellow PH friends. He said that the 270 Win has probably killed more game in the East Cape of South Africa than any other caliber. That's what they use on personal hunts each year. They use the 270 Win on Gemsbuck, Kudu, Wildebeest and even eland. They don't seem as concerned about what bullet they use and use a lot of "non-premium" bullets like hornady, Sierra etc. He said they shoot well and don't lose many animals...they are meat hunting mostly. Last time I went I used a 338 Win Mag and this time I uses a Ruger 375 on the eland....a 338 would have been fine!!!

Thought you all may be interested in hearng that...

Silver Tip
    "If we lose freedom here, there is no other place to escape to. This is the last stand on earth." ...Ronald Reagan.....please never forget this!!!

I love the .270. Just love it! But my other go-to caliber, the .303 has also taken a butt load of nearly every species in Africa.

I too know a PH from SA who is very fond of the 270WCF. He has one with a suppressor fitted and uses it for much of his own shooting as well as a loaner for clients.
    A friend of mine after returning from Namibia, said his PH claimed that the 8x57 was easily the most widely used rifle cartridge in that country. He also considered it the best all around cartridge a fellow could posses for any non dangerous game from duiker to eland. The gentleman did handload all of his ammunition with Nosler Partitions.

I recently acquired an early M77 Express in .270Win.... The more I fool with it, the more I'm liking the .270 myself!
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit

And they all know how to track or have trackers to do it for them. The art of tracking is lost here mostly.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Unless you are Karamojo Bell__ I would stick with the .458 + for starting and finishing the LARGE stuff that I am trying to put down-- Hard to beat .338wm - 358 Norma for other stuff-- Just my thoughts. And the type of bullet and of course "SHOT PLACEMENT" is imperative!!
    Again just my thoughts.
    Goo

Just another thought-- as I have experienced- Take an AFRICA PH an a costal bear hunt in Alaska or Siberia and you will see TV ain't what all it seems!!! They really like our lodges, but not our bush!!
    Goo

Quote Originally Posted by goeaux View Post
    Unless you are Karamojo Bell__ I would stick with the .458 + for starting and finishing the LARGE stuff that I am trying to put down-- Hard to beat .338wm - 358 Norma for other stuff--
    Not that I'm inclined to disagree with toting cannons to shoot big toothy stuff.... but It's hard to imagine the .270 as inadequate for any ungulate in NA or Africa for that matter.
    "I do not deal in hypotheticals. The world, as it is, is vexing enough..." Col. Stonehill, True Grit