Thread: Anyone been successful ordering ammo from lower 48

Default Anyone been successful ordering ammo from lower 48

Getting it out here to Nome was not possible. Moving to Fbks soon and wondering if anyone has been able to get ammo shipped to Anch or Fbks. I'm talking Cabelas, Midway Usa, Ammo to go.com, etc.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

When I ordered I had it shipped to Seattle and PAF brought it up on a boat. I haven't done it for a while because you have to get a lot to make it worthwhile, and I'm married now.

I've gone down this miserable road myself, and, let me tell you-it's difficult and expensive. I hunt waterfowl with antique Winchesters, which means no steel. No store in Alaska stocks or orders non-toxic, non-steel shot.

To begin with, Midway, Cabela's, and Bass Pro Shops will absolutely refuse to ship ammo to anywhere in Alaska. That is their company policy. They won't ship it at any price; they just don't want the "hassle." (I called all of those places and pleaded my case; they didn't much care-too much money to be made in the Lower 48.)

Last year, I went to, or called, every gun store in the area, trying to get them to order some ammo for me, and have it brought up on the barge. NO ONE would help me. I couldn't get a single gun store owner or gun dept. manager to help me get ammo up here-at ANY price or at any quantity. They either simply refused or said they'd look into it and then never had an answer for me until I gave up.

I've been trying to get ammo shipped up here for two years and, to date, I have found ONE vendor who will ship to Alaska. Graf&Sons ( http://www.grafs.com/ ) But hold onto your wallet. They can only ship FedEx overnight. The ammo has to go as dangerous goods and the only way FedEx will accept it is overnight air. Last year I ordered 10 shot shells, and it cost me $60.00 (about 10 for the ammo and 50 to ship.) But they will at least do it. And they stock non-toxic, non-steel ammo. Now, anytime I travel to the Lower 48, I call Graf&Sons, order $200-300 worth of ammo, have it shipped to wherever I'm staying, and bring it back on the plane. It's the only sensible way to do it. Check those guys out. They have terrific customer service, decent prices on the ammo itself, and hey, they have my business because they at least try.

Good luck. You're going to need it.

Bit the bullet several times down here and had ammo barged up. I order from Cabelas or whoever and the only downer is sales tax because it is delivered in Washington where they have a store so despite them knowing the ultimate delivery point I get stuck with it on top of the barge minimum. The local ffl guy here orders for a bunch of guys at once and everyone chips in (I haven't participated but it would have saved me a bunch).

My advice then is to go in with other forum members, have it all delivered to whomever (AML FedEx) and sent in one lot (could even come from multiple vendors delivered on the same date). Then divide and conquer.
    Science has a rich history of proving itself wrong.

FL2AK-Old Town, I don't know which stores you checked but GNG has had Hevi-Shot for several years, and Mt View had it last year (and may still).

Generally if you order about 500 to 1000 lbs and have it brought up by Lynden, the freight per pound isn't too bad. But that is a bunch of ammo. Have them pick it up at the vendor and bring it all the way up. That way, you are only dealing with one shipper and one haz-mat charge.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Quote Originally Posted by scottr View Post
    FL2AK-Old Town, I don't know which stores you checked but GNG has had Hevi-Shot for several years, and Mt View had it last year (and may still).
    They don't have (or didn't any time I ever called them or went into the store to ask) have Hevi-Shot "Classic Doubles", which is the lead equivalent, non-lead, non-toxic version of Hevi-shot. All of the other hevi-shot products are either some part steel or, at best, harder than lead. Mtn View would not order Classic Doubles. GNG wasn't any help either.

Ammo, primers, or powder............getting any of those to Anchorage or Fairbanks is pretty easy. Call Carlile (or the freight company of your choice) and they will give you a quote based on the size and weight of the boxes and they will tell you where to have the items shipped to at Tacoma. Then they are barged up here. How do you think how all the shops in Alaska get it done

Just need to order enough to make the shipping charges worthwhile. Combine orders with a friend or two or three.

Did it one time. I bought a case of .223 back in the mid-90s from Sportsman's Guide and they shipped it to Nulato where I was living and working at the time. No more though. They quit shipping ammo up here too.

I could place an order and have it shipped to Coastal for delivery, but it's much simpler just to buy it in skAnchorage and bring it out myself or have someone load it in a vehicle they're bring down on the ferry. I can also do powder and primers on the ferry too, but usually just do a big order and have it sent on Coastal.
    Now what ?

Yes many times.

I used the freight forwarders in Seatlle to do an over the dock delivery. You actually ship to them, they take title and transfer to you. You must have enough volume to make it worth your while, as there are minimum charges and weights involved.
    Doable,takes some home work, investment in time and money.

This whole thread is just more reason to reload. I would not be shooting my 25-20, 218, 223 WSSM or 32-40 if I needed more than empties.