Thread: Dry fly fishing for pinks/humpies

Default Dry fly fishing for pinks/humpies

Headed to Kodiak first week of August. Not when I would choose to go but that is when the invite was extended. I'll probably be fishing the road system 3-4 days and I saw a few things online about pinks on dry flies. Anyone ever tried this? The videos I saw looked like they were fishing over fish that had been in freshwater awhile. I think most of the fish should still be pretty fresh that I'm fishing over. Do pinks take dries fairly readily? What are the best conditions?the videos I saw they were popping the dries, not just doing a steady retrieve. Any advice would be appreciated.

Steve

They'll take real well on the tide flats of the river mouths, as well as in the river mouths- any time they're schooled up, and it doesn't matter if they're bright or dark. Best is when they are within a couple of feet of the surface. Small wogs are fine, as are Burning Man type flies without the rubber legs. Pink is usually the hottest color, but I've taken them on the full spectrum. If they're not hitting pink, move on and they'll probably come to something else. Small movements, with fairly long pauses are best. Make some noise with your wog and kiss them goodbye.

Funny thing- You can almost always tell males from females on the take. Males come up behind it and take it like an alligator, while females "sip" it like a trout on spinners.

If it gets choppy, drop below the surface and work the edges of the school. A cast right into the school is a sure snag unless you're using weedless. Also if the school is moving, fish the front of the school just as you have to with redfish in the gulf.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    They'll take real well on the tide flats of the river mouths, as well as in the river mouths- any time they're schooled up, and it doesn't matter if they're bright or dark. Best is when they are within a couple of feet of the surface. Small wogs are fine, as are Burning Man type flies without the rubber legs. Pink is usually the hottest color, but I've taken them on the full spectrum. If they're not hitting pink, move on and they'll probably come to something else. Small movements, with fairly long pauses are best. Make some noise with your wog and kiss them goodbye.

Funny thing- You can almost always tell males from females on the take. Males come up behind it and take it like an alligator, while females "sip" it like a trout on spinners.

If it gets choppy, drop below the surface and work the edges of the school. A cast right into the school is a sure snag unless you're using weedless. Also if the school is moving, fish the front of the school just as you have to with redfish in the gulf.
    Sounds like a blast! I'm going to have to try that in Hope! My first salmon ever on topwater was a Silver and it was an accident, now I always give a few topwater casts in small streams!

Quote Originally Posted by wexcellent View Post
    Headed to Kodiak first week of August. Not when I would choose to go but that is when the invite was extended. I'll probably be fishing the road system 3-4 days and I saw a few things online about pinks on dry flies. Anyone ever tried this? The videos I saw looked like they were fishing over fish that had been in freshwater awhile. I think most of the fish should still be pretty fresh that I'm fishing over. Do pinks take dries fairly readily? NO - BUT THEY DO SOMETIMES IN SOME SITUATIONS. What are the best conditions?SLOW WATER. the videos I saw they were popping the dries, not just doing a steady retrieve. THAT IS ONE WAY. Any advice would be appreciated. A) TIE THIS FLY IN PINK. http://www.danblanton.com/blog/lees-...-instructions/
    B) DON'T BUY/TIE MILLIONS OF DRY FLIES FOR SALMON, IT DOESN'T HAPPEN EVERY DAY/PLACE

Steve
    see above in CAPS.

Thanks for the help - I won't go expecting it to happen but I hope to give it a good try, especially if the fishing is stupid crazy enough so that catching by other methods gets old.

I like the fly in the link - looks more durable and bouyant than a wog and probably easier for me to tie.

Thanks again.

Steve