Thread: Cabela's Tv show's spring bear hunt...the results

Default Cabela's Tv show's spring bear hunt...the results

my second hunt this season was spent guiding mark nelsen and two freelance videographers as we hunted a bear for cabela's tv show on the outdoor channel...

once again, the camera crew routine easily produces about three times more work for a guide as a regular hunt, and creates challenges not seen on a "normal" one on one hunt. (and yeah, Tim Delarm...theyre still a huge pain in the ass)

that said...the three guys cabela's sent out where absolutely great guys. hard working, in adequate shape, and most importantly possessing optimistic outstanding attitudes throughout the entire hunt. mark nelson, the hunter and show host kept a great attitude and at times pushed himself well beyond his comfort zone while trying to find a suitable boar. we hit the timeing right with this years late spring and spotted numerous bears throughout the hunt, but only two boars. mark had the patience and experience to listen and keep a great attitude, and in the end we were very fortunate to stalk a large nine and a half foot boar and take him fairly cleanly at fifty yrds. the action was close and tight and the back up was immediate as the bear was in a brushy bottom. five shots where taken, four of which connected beautifully with the bears big chest as he dissapeared in the alders. normal precautions where taken, as i had my client clear his chamber and postitioned him and the videographers on a little open rise a good distance from where i knew the bear to be. alone, i swung into the wind and quietly hunted the area i had last seen the brush move.....i found the boar piled up, not thirty yrds from where the shooting started...very dead. just the way i like them

the two camera guys where awsome, and worked very hard at their jobs...both are fairly well know freelance professionals and artists in there own right, both not only working as videographers but producers of different shows as well. jereme thaxton and tom wayne impressed me with their very thorough, persistent attempts at getting above average shots on a true wilderness hunt. while i very obviously have little tolerance for such creative nonsense during one of my hunts, i took it in stride, held my toungue, and kept a positive attitude...it worked in the end, and they should have a great show put together for cabelas and the outdoor channel. this was a paid hunt, and the emphasis was on their show as opposed to a trade/comped hunt with payment in terms of publicity for the outfit. in the end everyone did theyre jobs well, worked hard, and it paid off with good tight footage stalking and taking _DSC0768.jpg_DSC0750.jpga great boar, a ton of neat memories and four guys that found a few new freinds from very different walks of life.... the beauty that guiding and hunting in our great state can be.................................

it still amazes me that i get paid to do this stuff...

Congrats to all - wish I had cable t.v!

Mark Nelson, actually Sr. Marketing Mgr for Cabela's. Glad the hunt went well for you guys. Congrats. With the record snowfall this year the bears we hunted seemed pretty tough this year.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ninefoot View Post

All I can say is.....I HOPE YOU GOT A GOOD TIP....!!!...lol.

Congrats...!!!
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!

Congrat's again Zack!! It's funny you are the perfect person for the position, you are a well spoken man and a very well rounded person. It is your good fortune you have found your place. I enjoy your story's, you lead everybody hanging on your last word. I hope you keep everything in a log, because it's YOUR BOOK !!! +1111
    Thanks Hunter

sorry guess your the last person I gave rep. to and will not allow, it say's I need to spread it around first.WT!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by HuntNBgame View Post
    sorry guess your the last person I gave rep. to and will not allow, it say's I need to spread it around first.WT!!!!!!
    lol, not at all worried bout that...thanks for the kind words man. and i absolutely keep a journal...i've pretty much got a log of nearly every day i've hunted, trapped or adventured in this state the last nine years. havent yet looked back and read any of it, but i'm sure there will be a day when i will want to. i refer back to notes on different camps from year to year for learning reasons, but for some reason i just cant get into reading them in entirety yet...kinda weird. i suppose some day (god willing and the creek dont rise too much i'll have the hankering to sit and reflect...but right now its all about the next adventure! a short hiatus with the wife for the month of june, then on to chasing rainbows with my flyrod and keeping the fishing clients from mauling the bears.....

Great showing Zack plus keeping your new families traditions alive,beats welding.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    Great showing Zack plus keeping your new families traditions alive,beats welding.
    lol, that is does Will...that it does. thanks.

Glad to hear, Someday I hope to see it (In a book), Congart's on another great season.

"..........had my client clear his chamber". Hadn't thought of that before. Good idea.

Congrats on the success. Got a green score for the skull?
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    "..........had my client clear his chamber". Hadn't thought of that before. Good idea.

Congrats on the success. Got a green score for the skull?
    yeah, i try to stay concious of the status of my clients gun, if its loaded, and where its pointed as much as humanly possible, and have become pretty anal about it. i'm quite allergic to getting shot, so these days i'd rather the guy be a safe distance from the action, preferably with some elevation, paying attention to the brush and using his eyes to help me out. many times i wont like something and i'll back out and confer with the client on any observations he might have scene, before going back in, all it takes is one mistake ya know. the VERY LAST thing i need is some guy who's dumping adrenaline, either with a loaded gun behind me or at a distance waving it around at the patch of brush i'm in.

he'll go well over 26, but a bit shy on the length to make 27. more width than i'm used to seeing on nine plus boars in that country, but not nearly the length we're used to on a boar breaking nine and a half....in the past we've been fairly consistent in hitting the 27 mark with a bear over nine six...nothing to be written in stone or anything, but observations from a pretty good bunch of experience between the boss and us guides. who knows, possibly a transient boar doing the spring mating thing, a long way from his gene pool????all interesting stuff to me.

yeah, i try to stay concious of the status of my clients gun, if its loaded, and where its pointed as much as humanly possible, and have become pretty anal about it.
    In my mind, that statement represents the professionalism you bring to your job more than any number of large bears your clients have taken. Your an asset to your employer.
    Finding bears just takes time. Getting up on the bear takes experience, luck, effort. Managing a client thru out the hunt..............that takes professionalism!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

What a perfect bear coat! is it comon for the hair to be so perfect!
    thanyou again
    wes
    my second hunt this season was spent guiding mark nelsen and two freelance videographers as we hunted a bear for cabela's tv show on the outdoor channel...

once again, the camera crew routine easily produces about three times more work for a guide as a regular hunt, and creates challenges not seen on a "normal" one on one hunt. (and yeah, Tim Delarm...theyre still a huge pain in the ass)

that said...the three guys cabela's sent out where absolutely great guys. hard working, in adequate shape, and most importantly possessing optimistic outstanding attitudes throughout the entire hunt. mark nelson, the hunter and show host kept a great attitude and at times pushed himself well beyond his comfort zone while trying to find a suitable boar. we hit the timeing right with this years late spring and spotted numerous bears throughout the hunt, but only two boars. mark had the patience and experience to listen and keep a great attitude, and in the end we were very fortunate to stalk a large nine and a half foot boar and take him fairly cleanly at fifty yrds. the action was close and tight and the back up was immediate as the bear was in a brushy bottom. five shots where taken, four of which connected beautifully with the bears big chest as he dissapeared in the alders. normal precautions where taken, as i had my client clear his chamber and postitioned him and the videographers on a little open rise a good distance from where i knew the bear to be. alone, i swung into the wind and quietly hunted the area i had last seen the brush move.....i found the boar piled up, not thirty yrds from where the shooting started...very dead. just the way i like them

the two camera guys where awsome, and worked very hard at their jobs...both are fairly well know freelance professionals and artists in there own right, both not only working as videographers but producers of different shows as well. jereme thaxton and tom wayne impressed me with their very thorough, persistent attempts at getting above average shots on a true wilderness hunt. while i very obviously have little tolerance for such creative nonsense during one of my hunts, i took it in stride, held my toungue, and kept a positive attitude...it worked in the end, and they should have a great show put together for cabelas and the outdoor channel. this was a paid hunt, and the emphasis was on their show as opposed to a trade/comped hunt with payment in terms of publicity for the outfit. in the end everyone did theyre jobs well, worked hard, and it paid off with good tight footage stalking and taking _DSC0768.jpg_DSC0750.jpga great boar, a ton of neat memories and four guys that found a few new freinds from very different walks of life.... the beauty that guiding and hunting in our great state can be.................................

Quote Originally Posted by martentrapper View Post
    In my mind, that statement represents the professionalism you bring to your job more than any number of large bears your clients have taken. Your an asset to your employer.
    Finding bears just takes time. Getting up on the bear takes experience, luck, effort. Managing a client thru out the hunt..............that takes professionalism!
    thanks mt...that actually means quite a bit to me, and is definitely the goal on every hunt regardless of sucess in the form of a dead animal.

Quote Originally Posted by wesleyM1990 View Post
    What a perfect bear coat! is it comon for the hair to be so perfect!
    thanyou again
    wes
    ya know he's a pretty one for sure, but not without flaws....if you'll look between his ears theres a spot lacking guard hairs...definitely not a "rub" by most peoples standards, but probably just the beginning of his shedding season. we dont observe much spring "rubbed" bears in the country i spend most of my time in. i've seen bears in southeast do it, and i've found many marking tree where the spruce sap is full of hair. i've always heard that kodiak is bad about rubbed bears, and i've seen pictures of downright guardhairless bears, and even rubs that show bare hide, but not here in western alaska. i have observed plenty of bears in the shedding process though. kinda wooly underfur. it can be spotted with a trained eye, but most clients dont pic it up unless its pointed out, and unless its patchy with tuffs of guard hair around it its kinda hard to see at a distance. thanks for the kind words. i too think he's a beauty.

yeah, i try to stay concious of the status of my clients gun, if its loaded, and where its pointed as much as humanly possible, and have become pretty anal about it.
    I was EXTREMELY anal about it as well. It was only one time, but that was pretty much the reason I actually had words with a client of mine. We were at caribou camp and this guy only had lousy rubber boots to walk in and was falling all over the place. We were in wide open country so I told the guy he didn't need to have one in the chamber. He wouldn't listen to me and one time after a hunt I caught him taking his rifle into the tent when I knew there was still one in the chamber. I calmly said to him..... If he does that again he will be finishing out the hunt by himself, as this is my life he's f***ing with. He agreed.

Ya gotta look out for yourself cause nobody else is going to......
    Sheep hunting...... the pain goes away, but the stupidity remains...!!!