Thread: worried??? you bet!!!!

Default worried??? you bet!!!!

im doing a 8 day float from amber lake to the conflueance of the big su. june 16th--23rd
    its kinda looking like i might have to start at neil lake' to avoid having to drag the raft due to low water.
    anybody else know anything about water levels on kroto or upper deshka??

also WHERE ARE THE KINGS???? any theories of if or when they will show.
    or what has happened to the run.
    from what i can gather the runs are late or almost nonexistant all around the country and canada..
    curious as to what others think
    ~SLIMM~

Went UP to the forks of the Deshka. Where Kroto and Moose creeks merge. I have been up there in November, and it was never as low as it is now. If you go, stay ultra-light with your gear and expect some physical effort and make sure you have a GOOD patch kit for your vessel, lots of rocks showing. LOW WATER If this pattern continues for the coming days, I would seriously look for alternative options. The lakes along the Petersville Rd all have Pike in them. That is always a good bet.

Default bad news but good info

thanks akres
    i was affraid of that' well i guess we will have to make the best of it..
    its way to late to cancel float plane..
    do you think we can make it from neil lake to deshka without dragging raft??
    i am still hopeing a good run will develop.
    whats your thoughts on the run' is it just late ???
    we may have to turn a fishing trip into a camping trip.
    thank you for your time it is very much appreciated
    ~SLIMM~

Default Airboat or Jetboat

Akres you seem to spend a lot of time on the Deshka do you have an airboat or jetboat?

Airboat

You will have to carry the gear from Neil Lake to the Deshka. Then there is about three or four shallow shoals that you might have a little dragging to do, if you are heavy. After you get past Trapper Creek, no problem. Fish have been coming in later every year. Used to be after the last week of June, all you seen were spawned out kings. Now kings are coming in later and for the past couple of years, fresh ones are being caught in August. There are actually more kings in august than silvers. What a Pity
    Hate Kings Love Silvers

Default Tote Road

I think there is a woman on Neil Lake that will portage you over for a fee in a jeep. I was told that from one of the floatplane services. I can't remember if it was Rusts or Regal but I think it was one or the other that told me. I think the fee was very reasonable like $10/person.

well i just got off the phone with a friend in anchorage' he just came off a 4 day trip on the deshka' kinda slow they caught a few 12-15#-1 -30 # 1- 23#
    there were 7 people in the party.

one good thing though he ran into an old friend that had a phone number for some permanent residants on neil lake sounds like they atv. and will help with portage for a small fee.
    (just like you said maineguide)

thanks for the help folks
    TYLER

Default Got a number for you

Slimm, I went rummaging through my stuff and I found the number Rusts Air Service gave me. The couples name is James and Colleen and their number is 733-4813.

Default a world of thanks

thanks maineguide-- akres
    i have been trying to get detailed info like this for over a year .
    i have googled deshka river every way possible' almost on a daily basis' and just kept coming up with the same crappy maps with no details. and very little real info.
    i have posted questions on every alaska fishing and outdoor site including this one. and could not get one single response until now..
    you guys really came through for me i cant thank you enough!!!!!

this info has pretty much saved the whole trip from possible disaster.
    i can barely imagine what kind of efforts it would have taken to get raft and gear from amber lake to floatable waters...

now if we can get the kings to cooperate we will be back on track..

we will be 3 guys in a 14 foot raft if you are on the river june 16/23 and you see us please stop and say howdy..
    THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR YOUR TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    ~SLIMM~