Thread: Kodiak Bear that didn't get away...

Default Kodiak Bear that didn't get away...

My first Alaskan Trophy. Hopefully, not the last. I have a goat permit coming up at the end of the summer. This wasn't a 10 footer by any means, but it was MY 7 1/2 foot trophy !
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default nice bear

Nothing wrong with that bear at all Skydiver, nice job.

Default Thanks

Felt really bad at first for taking a small bear, but after thinking, it definitely is a trophy that will be on my wall for years !
    Good Hunting !

Default good lookin bear

nice trophy skydiver, do ya got a story to go along with that pic?? Hey if you go shooting the biggest bear ever the first time you dont realy have much to go for the next right? Good job on your first alaskan trophy , you will never forget it.

Nice Bear! What gun are you shooting?

Default Remington

.375 H&H Remington 700. Fell in love with the gun. And yes, the old time hunters are correct. The bears are hard to kill. First shot was through the shoulder. It literally shattered the shoulder. He wasn't going any further, but he still kept moving even after the 4th round! When I first got the rifle in September, I wanted to see how it would shoot. I shot at a 10 inch thick tree behind the house. It exited the other side of the tree...went through another 3 inch tree behind it! I figured this thing would kill anything. I found 3 out of the 4 bullets lodged in the bears hide on the "exit" side of the bear. I should have collected the bullets, but I just left them. They were 270 grain. Now I need to find a good goat gun for my hunt this fall. Any suggestions?

Default Story of the hunt

Quote Originally Posted by akpredator
    nice trophy skydiver, do ya got a story to go along with that pic?? Hey if you go shooting the biggest bear ever the first time you dont realy have much to go for the next right? Good job on your first alaskan trophy , you will never forget it.
    Yep, if you look at the old forum layout, about 1 week ago, you'll find the story.

You already have it. .375 is great for goat. my experience with goats is that they are some tough critters. You will want them to fall in their tracks and the .375 will do it. Plus if your on Kodiak you'll want that gun.

Default Goat gun

Goat hunting is new for me also. I was always under the impression that Goat is more of a long-range hunt (300-400 yards)?

Default Congrats

I would love a bear that size. I have been here 4 years and all bears have eluded me. Hopefully this spring is the season to get the "bear" on my back.

Default Goat Hunt

Just a little bragging here, but the only big game I have taken was a 9"x5 3/4" billy. 1 shot at 300 yards with a 7mm.08. But unfortunatly he did take a big tumble and lost a horn (*#^$*^@@) oh well, Didnt see any bears, but a bigger gun would be nice in case. I did have a back up friend with a .338 ultra mag though. :-)...good luck, just be in good shape, because the climbs hurt! smile
    <*)))><

Thumbs up pic

Thanks for the pic. Beautiful trophy. Man that looks like you were in some snow. Must have made scouting and packing tough. Good luck on your goat hunt also. I havenít ever encountered long shots on goats. That would only make it more likely that you couldnít recover your trophy. They donít seem particularly wary. More likely extremely difficult terrain is the challenge. You will need some good boots and lots of patience waiting to find them on reasonable slopes.