Thread: American vs German machine guns

Default American vs German machine guns

WWII training flim. Thought some of you NFA guys might get I kick out of this.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35R2WENXMl8

I really want a MG42!

Great film of the past. The M-3 greasegun did good new looks like but the one I had in Viet Nam didn't shoot that straight but was fun with the silencer.Our M-60 was outstanding as well as the ma-deuce
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

The king of the US MG's is the M2, Ma Deuce but the 1919, light, cal. 30, is king of the 30 cals. Nothing wrong with the water cooled M1917 but they called a heavy MG for a reason. As for the sub guns, considering everything, weight, cost of manufacture, accuracy and effectiveness the M3 grease gun wins out. I love 'em all, have a nice collection of U.S. MG's.
    Mike

The original government cost for the M-3 was right at seven dollars.From what I could tell rifling lasted maybe two thousand rounds but key hole 45 slugs did good damage to a body.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I would take a MG-34 or MG-42 over the M1919 anyday. Heck, the M-60 was modeled after the MG-42. Not saying the M1919 was bad, just out-classed. The Japanese Type 99 was no slouch either and was the equal of the M1919.

I hate to say it but the Germans had the goods on us as far as mobile machine guns go.

Quote Originally Posted by ANGCorsair View Post
    I would take a MG-34 or MG-42 over the M1919 anyday. Heck, the M-60 was modeled after the MG-42. Not saying the M1919 was bad, just out-classed. The Japanese Type 99 was no slouch either and was the equal of the M1919.

I hate to say it but the Germans had the goods on us as far as mobile machine guns go.
    The German lead in machine guns goes back to WWI

The MG-42 outclassed the M-60 by far. The 60 had many weak points. The belt feed on the 42 was a 2 step lift which gave twice as much power to the belt when feeding. The 60 barrel, although a "quick change", required the gunner to remove the bipod and front sight with the barrel, then rotate the new barrel with bipod 90 degrees from vertical to insert it from the front of the gun. The 42 only required that the bolt be drawn to the rear, then a hot barrel was withdrawn from the rear of the gun with the starter tab of a belt of ammo, and a new barrel inserted in reverse order. Far quicker and simpler than a 60. Plus the 60's had the poor design of sear and op-rod that would prematurely fail and cause a runaway gun. The sear on a 60 can be installed backwards, causing the same failure. The gas piston, not found on the recoil operated 42, on a 60 can be installed backwards as well, turning the gun into a single shot. The aluminum topcover on a 60 is easily bent, rendering the gun unseviceable. I could go on, but the german MG-34 and Mg-42 were light years ahead of the M-60. The Mag-58 was the gun we should have adopted in.....'58. But instead we got the weak sister M-60. I have fired, disassembled and examined all the above MG's, so I have an idea about what makes them work, and fail. A 60 that is in very good shape and well maintained, will work well, but would be FAR from my first choice in any tight situation. Way too many weak points to fail.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."