Thread: Opinions Wanted! 92' PUMA in 44 MAG

Default Opinions Wanted! 92' PUMA in 44 MAG

Anybody have any experience with the modle 92' Puma's by Legacy Arms? I saw one today @ sportsmans and loved the feel of it. Do they chamber and stabilize 300+ grain 44 mag bullets? Does yours like jacketed or cast bullets? Any Info on these guys would be much appreciated. Is there a particular reason why they are almost half the cost of the marlins? I understand you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks, Jake

I'm buying one in 480 this summer.

Just google, legacy puma or something similar. There are quite a few reviews on them in other calibers. From everything I have seen and read they are quality arms. I've never shot on though.

I own one, and love it.

I traded my Marlin 44 for it. The Marlin was a little more accurate with jacketed bullets, less with cast. My problem with the Marlin was the lack of a magazine disconnect - feeding was entirely dependant on overall cartridge length and even some factory ammo caused jams when the rim of the cartridge in the tube was allowed to catch the end of the elevator. Clearing such a jam required a contortionist with hand tools.

The Puma has the disconnect, and has NEVER failed to feed with any ammo i have thrown at it, plus I love the trim lines.

Factory sights are only so-so, but adding a tang or receiver sight corrects that nicely.

Default Puma

I own a Stainless Steel one in 357 and carry it on my trap line, workd great for it's desired duty. I shot it in Cowboy (SASS) matches with both 38 spl and 357 mag 158 grn. lead bullets. The other competitors used a lot of these rifles in all different calibers without many noteable problems.
    This rifle is also made in 44, 454 Casull, and 480 Ruger; the reviews on the web have been good, not sure how unbiased these reviews are though.
    Last edited by brav01; 04-12-2007 at 15:00.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

Default Puma 92

I have a Puma 92 in 44-40 and it works fine. Not quite as smooth or finished as my Browning B-92 44 mag. Good value for the money.

Default puma in .454

I want one pretty bad in 454 to compliment my Ruger SRH.
    Just waiting on the cash. Maybe I'll have to liquidate a few I don't use to acquire one.

reuben...

Default 1892

Mine is a stainless .45lc and works fine.

HATE the dang ugly saftey on the top of the action.

Fit and finish are just so-so and sights are just normal quality.

It's a fun shooter and worth the price overall.

jedi

I have 3 of them......357, 45 Colt and 454 and they are all really good rifles. I don't like the sights on the 454 but that will soon be changed. I've never used one of the 44mags but there's a number of cowboy shooters all over the US that use them every weekend and love 'em.

Kallispel,
    Your Marlin problem is typical of that rifle with the short cartridges. They require you be very aggressive with the action and then there is no problem or I should say the rifle will work very well.
    RIDE TALL, SHOOT STRAIGHT AND ALWAYS TELL THE TRUTH

Default levergun

I have owned both a Puma (.45) and Marlin (.357, .44, .444) and used them in SASS shoots. I generally consider the Marlin better made but it does not come in stainless and I shoot black powder cartridge.

I tuned and polished both makes (http://marauder.homestead.com/files/TUNING_M_1894.htm) and other shooters have commented how smooth the action and trigger were on the Puma afterwards even compared to a tuned Marlin but I was not very happy with the accuracy of the Puma; bigger shot group than I expect especially compared to a Marlin.

I had a round barreled carbine though and several folks have gone to the octagonal barreled "short rifle" and it seems to be a much straighter shooter. I might have just gotten a bad one though. The Puma magazine spring cover is plastic but there are metal replacements.

Lastly, the wood on the Puma was beautiful and better than I expected for the price. It polished up and was as nice looking as you could ask for.

I have the Puma ss in the .480 to match my Ruger SRH, I have no complaints.

Quote Originally Posted by CZ_IN_AK View Post
    Anybody have any experience with the modle 92' Puma's by Legacy Arms? I saw one today @ sportsmans and loved the feel of it. Do they chamber and stabilize 300+ grain 44 mag bullets? Does yours like jacketed or cast bullets? Any Info on these guys would be much appreciated. Is there a particular reason why they are almost half the cost of the marlins? I understand you usually get what you pay for.

Thanks, Jake
    I haven't owned one but would say they have got to be tough, they're made in 454 and seem to hold together. I don't know the twist rate in thae 44 mag but Marlins is 1 in 38" and it won't stabilize the 300 grain very well at all. It should be abou 1 in 20" for the longer bullets, I don't know why Marlins still twist their 44's at 38". Somebody is asleep at the trigger.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

Default Yes

I have a SS PUMA 92 in 357 mag. It shoots both cast and jacketed bullets well. I used it for several years in SASS shooting only cast ammo. It doesn't have the more modern UGLY safety on the receiver.
    I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another, probably in 44 mag though.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

I have one in .454 and only shoot cast, big me-plat bullets, it's my truck rifle. I have not tried jacketed bullets. I can not think of much use for jacketed bullets in this rifle? But then I don't think of rifles in these categories as for use beyond 150 yards with the loads I use.
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tryants." (Thomas Jefferson

Default In The Handgun section?

The Puma is a rifle is it not?

Default Uh Huh

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    The Puma is a rifle is it not?
    The PUMA shoots HANDGUN cartridges, TOO !

Quote Originally Posted by brav01 View Post
    The PUMA shoots HANDGUN cartridges, TOO !

It is still a rifle, some handguns shoot rifle cartridges yet they are still handguns...

Quote Originally Posted by jwp500 View Post
    It is still a rifle, some handguns shoot rifle cartridges yet they are still handguns...
    I thought I started this thread in the shooting forum? It doesn't really matter does it? Could have just been moved when the Alaska Handgun Forum opened.

Anyways I bought a lightly used SS Marlin 1894 44 mag. The guy never could get it zero'd in. New Skinner sights fixed that! Although a taller front post would have done the same. It is reasonably smooth, has decent wood on it, and a very good factory trigger. I still like the way those Puma's handle though.

Jake