Thread: Roadtrip Salmon fishing in June

Default Roadtrip Salmon fishing in June

Any good ideas? Bait, technique, locations? Thanks.

The more specific you can be with your plans, the better quality responses you'll get. What time during June will you be making your trip and in what general region of the state?

Yeah... There are a ton of places to fish just need to know where you are looking.. Down the Rich/Parks/Both?... Reds/Kings/Both?.. River/Salt/Both?..Boat/Bank/Both? Alaska resident? Toss in dipnetting...

I recently asked a similar question, gave dates, experience level, number of fishermen, general location, desires, breed etc. I got a BUNCH of great feedback (mostly thru PMs).

There will be a huge slug of sockeye heading up the Richardson Highway within the next few weeks. Numbers are huge enough that almost everyone flippin a line will get something. I'm thinking that Sockeye fishing may be the way to go with all the poor projections for Kings statewide. Yes, they run up the Richardson.......

Quote Originally Posted by fishin ak View Post
    There will be a huge slug of sockeye heading up the Richardson Highway within the next few weeks. Numbers are huge enough that almost everyone flippin a line will get something. I'm thinking that Sockeye fishing may be the way to go with all the poor projections for Kings statewide. Yes, they run up the Richardson.......
    Be careful flipping on the Richardson. A foul hooked semi will spool ya almost as fast as a king.

Quote Originally Posted by sibir View Post
    Be careful flipping on the Richardson. A foul hooked semi will spool ya almost as fast as a king.
    Agreed, especially on the Klutina.. Let that fish get in that current and he is gone!!

Quote Originally Posted by alaskantrip View Post
    Any good ideas? Bait, technique, locations? Thanks.
    Also be careful with the "bait" part. Lots of Emergency Orders to deal with this year. Most eliminate the use of bait in fishing for kings. If you've already familiarized yourself with the regs, it would be a good idea to go to the ADF&G's website and check out the EO's.