Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bear activity...

Default Bear activity...

The brown bears are on the move around Petersville area. Tracks and bears being spotted. The roadhouse up there reports the same thing.

Default Blackies??

How about the Black Bears??
    ...Jackie Bushman is a TOOL

no signs of blackies down here in SE AK that I know of yet :S

Default Valdez

No movement around Valdez yet either. Snowed up at 2,000 last night and re-covered the mountain tops out my way.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

We're loosing snow fast down here which is good - I've heard of a number of Brownies out on the ABC islands already though....

they're starting to show in the southwest (dillingham area) - grizzlies, that is. not a lot of activity, just coming out of their dens and checking it out. i haven't seen any, but talked to a few people that have. really hoping to see some soon.

Default Saw sign last night----

Was out tromping around an old burn area close to Soldotna last evening. Found a cool old bull moose skull--mostly rotted away but nicely coated in moss--30% antler intact. While walking along saw a stump that appeared like it had recently been meesed with. Went over and saw that it had been almost entirely shelled out. The wood was riddled with grub or termite holes and something had dug the entirety of the soft wood area out. figured it was a blackie, but wasn't sure until I picked up its tracks 50yrds or so away in some of the remaining snow.

So, I know at least one is out and about.

Will

Default You guys are killin me!!!

I'm stuck over here in the big sand box and your tellin me bears are already out.
    Well I'll be back first part of May and hopefully there will be a tasty roast sittin on the table soon after!!!
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Question Brown bear unit-8 Kodiak?

Anybody heard of or seen any recent spring brown bear movement or sign unit-8 Kodiak?

Quote Originally Posted by keelermk View Post
    I'm stuck over here in the big sand box and your tellin me bears are already out.
    Well I'll be back first part of May and hopefully there will be a tasty roast sittin on the table soon after!!!
    I hope you shoot a big one or two when you get back. You deserve it. Thanks for your service.

Thumbs up

One 8ft boar died on the south side of the Talkeetnas Friday 13th, from the look of his tracks he had most likely been out two days before traveling, less than a mile, down hill. Headwaters of Devils creek. Snow is skimpy, lots of rocks, more snow south toward the Big Su but getting mushy even for the SWT.

Nice! Got any pictures to share?

Smile

Got a few, taken when I got home. I'm not computer savvy enough to do more than email them. A couple of friends that came in later took some and said they will email them. But no pictures taken at the kill site. It was more of a "Predator control hunt" in 13E than a fun hunt. However it turned out to be a fun hunt.

Saw a grizzly sow with two cubs come out of their den last Wednesday in the Talkeetnas. Haven't seen any blackies yet.

I just spent four days in Petersville looking for bears. We covered over 300 miles on our snowmachines, and spent HOURS looking through the glasses. We didn't see anything....not even a moose. I must have talked to 20 or more hunters with the same story. Some of those guys were there all last week. No one was seeing bears. Hard to believe we were too early, so I'm guessing they've already popped out of their dens and moved on.

I think you were too early. Bear tracks in the snow can be seen for a long ways. Theres still lots of snow down there, it'll be another week or two till they are really moving around.

Default Noatak Nat Park/Preserve

I put 150 miles on the sno-go last weekend and saw NO tracks or Bears. I was surprised, as we have had temps up into the 40ís for much of the last 2 weeks. Try again this weekend up near the Squirrel River and who knows?

I did see a group of Musk Ox bulls behind the old state Fish Hatchery below Noatak Village. Took some cool photos, as I was able to get with in 100 yards.

Walt
    Northwest Alaska Back Country Rentals
    Kotzebue, AK
    Your Best Bet in camp and inflatable rentals in all of NW Alaska
    www.northwestalaska.com

Blackies are showing up around town here in Juneau...

Default Keelermk

dude sorry to hear your there,but have no fear cause Im in the pole myself and havent heard of anyone seeing bears around here as of yet.Heard some fellas went to go bait over near Tok for grizzlies and they saw squat also.Since Im gonna try and get a blackie this year (cross my fingers) I'll save ya one or two If any hit my station and If you want hell ya can get one off my station.....so long as I get one 1st

Thumbs up Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel in Ak View Post
    dude sorry to hear your there,but have no fear cause Im in the pole myself and havent heard of anyone seeing bears around here as of yet.Heard some fellas went to go bait over near Tok for grizzlies and they saw squat also.Since Im gonna try and get a blackie this year (cross my fingers) I'll save ya one or two If any hit my station and If you want hell ya can get one off my station.....so long as I get one 1st
    Daniel no worries man I'm do back in about two weeks. My hunting partner said that there was still calf high snow were our bait stands are. Last year we didn't get a bear in until the 27th of May, so I'm in no real big hurry. Thanks for the offer though. It's not every day some one offers another person a chance to hunt there bear stand. I don't think I could do it though knowing the amount of time and money involved. Good luck on your bear and good luck to the rest if you this spring. Hopefully we can fill up the 07 hunting gallery soon!
    IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE THEN CAN I BLAME MY PENCIL FOR MISSPELLED WORDS?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast